JJH_BATMAN

Who uses crit tokens?

13 hours ago, Elavion said:

Not only do I use them, I put them on the opponent's ships as well if they don't have their own. I'm a nice guy like that. :P

It's the same deal as with blue locks. Do you need to use them? No. Will being lazy cost you a game at some point? Yes.

I don't have any blue locks 😪

Since Second Ed dropped I started using Crit tokens. They are so helpful. However, I forgot to over the weekend, and none of my opponents used them, there was one game wear I forgot my opponents hard turns are more difficult, and another where I forgot (And I am almost positive they forgot as well) non straight moves do damage. 

3 hours ago, Sk3tch said:

and another where I forgot (And I am almost positive they forgot as well) non straight moves do damage. 

Having done it twice now, I can tell you there is nothing more painful than forgetting this crit, dialling in a bank and having your opponent remember. The one time I did with Luke on 1HP. Boom. Dead before we even got to shooting. 

It was agonising.

It's the reason I'm now determined to use crit tokens all the time. I never bothered in 1e, and my forgetfulness has cost me big several times in 2e. I'm now treating them as being as mandatory as focus or stress tokens. 

Use crit tokens, people. Encourage your opponent to use them as well. You don't want to forget that your opponent has an active crit either. 

Edited by GuacCousteau

1 hour ago, GuacCousteau said:

Having done it twice now, I can tell you there is nothing more painful than forgetting this crit, dialling in a bank and having your opponent remember. The one time I did with Luke on 1HP. Boom. Dead before we even got to shooting. 

It was agonising.

It's the reason I'm now determined to use crit tokens all the time. I never bothered in 1e, and my forgetfulness has cost me big several times in 2e. I'm now treating them as being as mandatory as focus or stress tokens. 

Use crit tokens, people. Encourage your opponent to use them as well. You don't want to forget that your opponent has an active crit either. 

Yeah I felt bad when my opponent (and I) forgot that his 1 HP Stele had Loose Stabilizer. He was a good sport and remembered when combat started but that's an example of why I always use Crit tokens on my ships. 

20 hours ago, JJ48 said:

Blue locks?  So you're playing 1.0?

No, I just use 1.0 style target locks. And to date I played one opponent who used 2.0 style locks and did not forget about having a lock even once throught the game. :P

10 hours ago, Max Teranous said:

I don't have any blue locks 😪

You can just ask basically any local player that did 1.0 if you can have some first edition lock pairs, the average player has waaaaaaay too much cardboard. :)

Edited by Elavion

Only because I have custom ones. If I get some official FFG acrylic ones, then for sure I'm using them.

I also sometimes use the conditional tokens from Dark Souls: The Board Game because I can. Frostbite is ion, Bleed is Fuel Leak, Poison is Console Fire/Loose Stabilizer, and Stagger depends on what I determine it to be.

Edited by player3010587

How to lose a game:

Step 1.  Forget you have a critical on your ship

Step 2. Realize that all your hard turns are Red, you can't take any action but focus, or that your just took a damage and are already dead at the worst possible moment

Step 3.  ?????????

Step 4.  Profit!

5 hours ago, stuffedskullcat said:

I use them and it drives me ******* bananas when people don't. 

"Yeah, instead of putting down a Focus token, imma' just tell you I'm focusing and we'll just remember that twenty seconds from now. What's your name, again?"

I'm not sure that's quite the same thing, since a Focus action doesn't leave you with a very prominent, very obvious, face-up card on top of your ship card.

Though maybe I just don't see it as an issue because the vast majority of my ships don't spent more than one round with a critical, as once the enemy's through the shields, that ship's pretty much dead.

10 hours ago, Elavion said:

No, I just use 1.0 style target locks. And to date I played one opponent who used 2.0 style locks and did not forget about having a lock even once throught the game. :P

O_o  How are the 2.0 locks any less obvious than the 1.0 locks?  If people are forgetting their 2.0 locks, I'd bet they'd forget even if they had 1.0 locks.

8 minutes ago, JJ48 said:

O_o  How are the 2.0 locks any less obvious than the 1.0 locks?  If people are forgetting their 2.0 locks, I'd bet they'd forget even if they had 1.0 locks.

Because we're accustomed to looking for mods next to our ship, not the opponent's.

The fact that the new lock token is microscopic probably doesn't help a whole lot, either.

18 hours ago, Stefan said:

I don't use them. The game board is cluttered enough with tokens as is.

They're not worth the clutter... until you realise that you've irreversibly ruined the board state because the Damaged Sensor means you shouldn't have been able to take the lock that allowed your torpedo to destroy the enemy ship three turns ago. Or that the Damaged Engine means you should have been stressed after your turn and unable to reposition into that key block. Or that you should have blown up by now from the Loose Stabiliser.

I could go on for days with tales of games that have compromised by missed damaged cards which likely wouldn't have been missed if people just used the bloody tokens.

1 hour ago, JJ48 said:

I also use 1st ed style locks. I find it's far better and easier to check a) which of my ships has a lock at all; b) which pair goes together (my ship and theirs); and c) when my opponent also uses them, so I can tell easily which of their ships each of mine would prefer to arc-dodge.

It's a lot harder to bend right down to check which number is on each of their ships and then to look for the corresponding lock token.

If the torpedo meta is over, this is less of a problem!

4 hours ago, MasterShake2 said:

How to lose a game:

Step 1.  Forget you have a critical on your ship

Step 2. Realize that all your hard turns are Red, you can't take any action but focus, or that your just took a damage and are already dead at the worst possible moment

Step 3.  ?????????

Step 4.  Profit!

I won a game, after my Y-wing lucked out and survived the lat round of fire, all because of a "weapons malfunction crit' a Tie Interceptor had on it..  Had it not been for that 1 die difference, i'd have died!

5 hours ago, Gilarius said:

It's a lot harder to bend right down to check which number is on each of their ships and then to look for the corresponding lock token.

That's why you have three numbers in addition to the lock token.  Two go on the ship, and one can go with the ship card!

9 hours ago, DR4CO said:

They're not worth the clutter... until you realise that you've irreversibly ruined the board state because the Damaged Sensor means you shouldn't have been able to take the lock that allowed your torpedo to destroy the enemy ship three turns ago. Or that the Damaged Engine means you should have been stressed after your turn and unable to reposition into that key block. Or that you should have blown up by now from the Loose Stabiliser.

I could go on for days with tales of games that have compromised by missed damaged cards which likely wouldn't have been missed if people just used the bloody tokens.

I totally get that point. I'll try them.