Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
nickv2002

Lothal Wastes Strategy Discussion

Recommended Posts

Would be great to have a strategy discussion here. To start off, do people have an opinion on which deployment side they prefer?

Map for reference 😉 (click to make bigger):

45-halfres.jpg?raw=true

The sides seem pretty similar so, without having played it yet, I think I start with the blue side to have a bit more manuring freedom in my deployment zone due to less blocking terrain.

Edited by nickv2002

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with the movement freedom. I do prefer the terminal on the red side, it’s a bit easier to hide but maintain threat with multiple figures. Both are reasonably similar though. Based on this I’d argue that red is better for blitz and blue is better for fluctuations, but I don’t have nearly enough reps to confidently say this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Major advantage of blue wall is, that it is a little longer on the left, so you can shoot or choke your opponent while still in cover.

 

It is also easier to draw los to their hallway from the terminal side, because there is no additional wall.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I played for the first time on Lothal this past weekend at our local event.  We had the scenario where each player alternates deploying a single character or group (up to 8 spaces) until all pieces have been placed. Then you start the first round.

I started in the blue area, and ended up with most of my figures on the left side, as I was reacting to my opponents placement of Thrawn and the Emperor over in that general area. Lots of maneuvering as we danced around that RED blocking terrain square in the middle of the corridor. His heavy hitters were positioned about 6-7 squares in from the left near the BLUE terrain diagonal squares.

We ended up having a good slug fest, with my Onar, Zeb, Sabine and Hondo trying to take down his big guns.  I actually liked the map, despite the deployment conditions/scenario we were working with.

Edited by Ice Dragon
forgot to mention something about the scenario

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So according to the new Zions Finest, facing spectre cell on Blitz will end poorly unless it's a mirror.  Like, conceding round one, middle of round two poorly.  I'm about halfway through the episode, but I'm already bummed out.

Apparently you just bum rush your opponent and let the math take over.

Fortunately, my play group prefers eclectic lists and no one brings Spectre when we're not campaigning, but this doesn't look good for the health of the game.

Be interesting to see how Worlds goes.

edit: oh hey rules clarification, if you go diagonally between the blue squares, center left (the crevice looking tile) does that require additional movement points?  We always played no, because the space you're entering isn't blue but I wasn't sure if we're missing something 

Edited by Jaric256

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So finished the Zions Finest episode and I'd encourage anyone who intends to play competitively to also listen.  With the caveat that they intend to do more testing, SC is going to be a serious problem with this rotation.  According to the gang, the only chance you have against Spectre cell on Blitz is with a Vader list and even then you need darn near perfect card draw and dice rolls to have even a small chance.

Their advice for non Spectre players was basically to practice getting destroyed against SC on Blitz so you don't go on tilt when it happens at a tournament.  That's about as bleak as it gets from dudes way smarter about this game than I am.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jaric256 said:

So finished the Zions Finest episode and I'd encourage anyone who intends to play competitively to also listen.  With the caveat that they intend to do more testing, SC is going to be a serious problem with this rotation.  According to the gang, the only chance you have against Spectre cell on Blitz is with a Vader list and even then you need darn near perfect card draw and dice rolls to have even a small chance.

Their advice for non Spectre players was basically to practice getting destroyed against SC on Blitz so you don't go on tilt when it happens at a tournament.  That's about as bleak as it gets from dudes way smarter about this game than I am.

I haven't played blitz with my sc, but like this it looks to me I will lose easily against Han-Ranger and IG-Hunters. Can you tell us why SC should be super strong on this map? (I hate podcasts)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Trevize84 said:

I haven't played blitz with my sc, but like this it looks to me I will lose easily against Han-Ranger and IG-Hunters. Can you tell us why SC should be super strong on this map? (I hate podcasts)

Quite the opposite.  Both those lists rely on a "ramp up" round and getting the right command cards.  With the "blitz" mission specifically, none of that will happen.

If the SC players goes totally aggressive and just bums rushes the opponent, you're attacking round one before any of that has a chance to happen.  Since SC relies on crushing math and doesn't care about command cards or focuses, etc, all the advantages SC has against a list under normal circumstances are magnified to the point where top players playing lists they know are conceding round one/early round two.

If you're playing SC on Blitz, against something other than Spectre, throw caution to the wind and you'll have (according to the podcast) something like a 95% chance of winning.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

By the way, if anyone has a way around this by all means share, because as it looks like now, World's is going to be Spectre Bowl 2019.  I couldn't make an argument not to bring Spectre to a competitive play tourney other than personal preference.  Especially if not doing so means a default loss if all missions are played during tourney format.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Jaric256 said:

Quite the opposite.  Both those lists rely on a "ramp up" round and getting the right command cards.  With the "blitz" mission specifically, none of that will happen.

If the SC players goes totally aggressive and just bums rushes the opponent, you're attacking round one before any of that has a chance to happen.  Since SC relies on crushing math and doesn't care about command cards or focuses, etc, all the advantages SC has against a list under normal circumstances are magnified to the point where top players playing lists they know are conceding round one/early round two.

If you're playing SC on Blitz, against something other than Spectre, throw caution to the wind and you'll have (according to the podcast) something like a 95% chance of winning.

makes sense...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Trevize84 said:

makes sense...

Yeah, Ezra is allegedly in your deployment zone killing your dudes round one and there's almost nothing you can do about it.  If it's as bad as they claim, we're about to be on some weird Demolition Man world where in the future all lists are Spectre Cell.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×