Sign in to follow this  
Captain Nippon

What should I get next?

Hello everyone! 

I'm excited to get back into X-Wing and with 2.0 I'm basically starting from scratch, so there seems to be no reason to invest into the conversion packs. 

The goal here is to have somewhat thematically fitting forces clashing that can hopefully be equipped in a way that makes for fair games between the factions. Im not interested in the Resistance´/FO timeline, so we can ingore that for now. I also want to restrict myself to buying 2.0 sets only, so those marked with a "?" are under the condition that they are getting a new release withing the next few waves.

As of now, I only have the 2.0 core set and a Y-Wing as well as a Tie Advanced are on their way as we speak.  So my planned roster looks like this:

EMPIRE:

2x Tie/In

1x Tie Advanced

1x Tie Bomber/Interceptor (?)

REBELS:

2x X-Wing

1x Y-Wing

1x A-Wing (?)

Seperatists:

1x Sith Infiltrator

2x Vulture Droid Fighter

1x Hyena Droid Bomber

Republic: 

1x Aethersprite

1x ARC

2x N1 fighter

SCUM:

1x Slave One

DO you think these are somewhat balanced and feasible? I'd love to hear your input and suggestions how to flesh out each faction.

Also are you planning on getting ships simultaneously for all 7 factions.

You would be better of focusing on 3 or maybe even just two factions at most. Are you doing multiple factions for yourself or so others can play against you?

Also are you looking to play the hyperspace format or extended via buying a conversion kit and looking in eBay for first edition models?

3 minutes ago, Scum4Life said:

Also are you planning on getting ships simultaneously for all 7 factions. You would be better of focusing on 3 or maybe even just two factions at most

I mainly want to build the core 4 (Empire/Rebellion, Republic/Seperatists) simultaneously. Scum might at some point join them, but at this point I only really fancy the Slave One anyway, so there is not much to consider for now.

6 minutes ago, Scum4Life said:

Are you doing multiple factions for yourself or so others can play against you?

Both :) With 4 factions available, there should be a lot of game to explore when friends come over. Once I've gotten a solid grasp of the game and one or two factions, I'm planning to check out local gaming stores for new competition.

9 minutes ago, Scum4Life said:

Also are you looking to play the hyperspace format or extended via buying a conversion kit and looking in eBay for first edition models?

Not for now. I'm not a fan of the conversion kits, so I want to stick to 2.0 releases (I suppose that's what Hyperspace is about?). If I really need a specific legacy ship for a particular strategy down the line, I might reconsider.

20 minutes ago, Captain Nippon said:

[...] (Empire/Rebellion, Republic/Seperatists) simultaneously. [...]

Both :) [...]

I want to stick to 2.0 releases [...] that's what Hyperspace is about.

My experience is from playing 1.0 then 2.0 more recently but only Scum against mainly Imperial or Rebel.

Glad you also think prequel trilogy armies are 'Core' too.

Ok, so to get four 200 point lists the cheapest way is to buy small models with high point costs, but that's not a fun way to do it, but I would for example not recommend buying 8 tie fighters as it's a huge space and money commitment for a few lists.

I would recommend 

EMPIRE:

2/4x Tie/In

1x Tie Advanced X1

1/2 x Tie Striker

I recommend first Tie Adv, then Striker.

A few Solid lists can be built with those (plus your two tie/lns) alone.

Probably start looking at getting some rebel models now, come back here later.

Then pick up two more ties or a second striker  Ties mean you can run named mini-swarms but strikers repositioning and extra firepower might be more your Jam.

1x Interceptor Yes when it's released fantastic ship, that rewards good flying. Get as soon as possible :)

REBELS:

2/3x X-Wing

1/2x Y-Wing

1x YT-1300 (Millenium Falcon)

Get the Falcon and a Y-wing, a second Xwing then stop. This is enough to run a few good lists, using named pilots or even generics

Heck you can get a falcon and run a 200 point list with just the falcon and the Xwing your already have. Han/Lando and Luke.

Seperatists:

1x Sith Infiltrator

2/3x Vulture Droid Fighter

1x Belbullub-22 

1x Hyena Droid Bomber (when it's out)

My reasoning here is get the servants of strife Squadron pack (good value, 3 ships and two types of ship for the same price as the Infiltrator!

Then a Bomber and Infiltrator should round out the squad, bit speculative but thats all I have to go on.

I'd get the Infiltrator before the Bomber If I had to choose between them.

Probably don't get the standalone Vulture Droid unless you need cards it comes with (my friends just use printouts or apps so not really an issue)  or you want an alternative paint job. If you just want more Vulture Droids, personally I'd get servants of strife twice as you'd get two in a better paint job and a free belbellub.

Republic: 

1/2x Aethersprite

2x V-19 Torrents

1x ARC

1x N1 fighter (when it's out)

Same as for the Separatists, the squad pack is good value plus the Arc for support crew and heavy guns.

I think I'd get a second Aethersprite but I do love anakins yellow one, so I'd grab the standalone, but it is more sensible to get a second squadpack as it comes with more V-19's

To be balanced, thematic and kind to your wallet, Pick up Galactic empire and Rebels first.

TIE Adv + Striker & Falcon + Y-wing

After you've gotten them on the table at least twice AND  you want more of the same pick up another X-Wing & Striker/2 Ties 

If you want something different get Servants of Strife + Infiltrator & Guardians of the Republic + an Arc

After you've gotten them on the table at least twice AND you want more of the same pick up another Aethersprite/Guardians of the Republic & Servants of Strife.

If you want something a bit fresher (and their out, get the Hyena Bomber and N1)

if you want a 5th faction and something really different get a Firespray and a Fang Fighter and two MG Ties / a second Fang Fighter.

Thats just my take, I hope it helps 😉

If you’re set on those 4 factions, I’d start with:

- 2x tie fighters for a total of 4 - great as a mini swarm ship

- Tie reaper for the crew carrier options.

- 1x T65

- 1x Saw Renegades

You will want the wave 4 stuff too (falcon and bwing)

For the prequel stuff, we need to know more about their point costs and how much to get a list. It’s all speculation at this point.

If I were buying CIS (I’m not committed to a prequel faction, and I don’t like formation flying much) I would go 2x SoS, 2x vulture blisters, and then maybe save for the infiltrator. I like the double up on SoS because the ship-to-dollar ratio is pretty solid compared to the blisters, while the blisters get you the alternate pilots and upgrades we know they’ll have.

For republic, 1x GotR, 1-2 delta 7. Maybe an Arc if you want the unit diversity and the crew carrier.

Yeah you’re probably going to want the Squad packs and singles, eventually.

Hard to say without more information, but it’s looking like the single Vultures are the only place to get discord missiles (buzz droids). It seems likely that there will be more cards that are only in one or the other for Servants of Strife or Guardians of the Republic vs Vulture or Aethersprite.

On top of that, you’re basically getting a free ship. I understand avoiding GotR if you have no interest in V-19s, but if you want a pair of Vultures anyways, you might as well get the free Bellabub (depending on the cards included in either).

It's really a pain that FFG makes certain cards exclusive to single blister ships which are also available in squad packs. I will probably get the Seperatist Squad pack, but im not particularly interested in the V-19s. On the other hand, the Red Aethersprite fits well with the colour scheme of the ARC, so I might have to get that one anyway (and possibly sell the V-19s). The Single Vulture doesn't fit with the other seperatist ships, so I'll have to try and get those cards seperately. 

With the App, getting the physical cards is not that important for the gameplay, but I like to have all my stuff in order :P