2X7 Ace of Legend

On ‎2‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 1:00 PM, Chester Quest said:

I have a local tournament coming up. 

What does everyone think of this?

Delta Tie Defender 70

Delta Tie Defender 70

Soontir Fel with predator 54

Total 194

To Green's point its high risk high reward, going to have to fly really well with odds stack against you. Defenders are really expensive considering their base ship is 70 points as an INT 1. If you run into a like one I ran into yesterday, its a lot of HP to work through while your getting shot at with mods...

Hoping that they will give the def the Ewing point buff treatment since the Devs announced them at the same tier. Until then the models look really good on my shelf shelf :D 

Example of your tournament nightmare:

Jessika Pava — T-70 X-Wing 52
Integrated S-Foils 0
Ship Total: 52
Half Points: 26 Threshold: 4

Red Squadron Expert — T-70 X-Wing 48
Heroic 1
Integrated S-Foils 0
Ship Total: 49
Half Points: 25 Threshold: 4

Heroic 1
Integrated S-Foils 0

Heroic 1
Integrated S-Foils 0

Have you considered using Palp Defenders:

2xDeltas + Omicron Lambda with Palp + ST321.

I really like the list because everyone is at Ini1 and with the coordinate action your Defenders become very flexible (barrel roll/boost before k-turning or triple mods on one Defender). 

Edited by Ryuneke

On 2/12/2019 at 1:41 AM, Ryuneke said:

Have you considered using Palp Defenders:

2xDeltas + Omicron Lambda with Palp + ST321.

I really like the list because everyone is at Ini1 and with the coordinate action your Defenders become very flexible (barrel roll/boost before k-turning or triple mods on one Defender). 

Palp aces got destroyed at the last Tournament I went to. Even a double YV-666 with a skull list took it out.

Which surprised me. I almost ran the same list. I would have thought with more points to spare it would have been good still. Nope.

On 2/11/2019 at 5:04 PM, Glattyator said:

Hoping that they will give the def the Ewing point buff treatment since the Devs announced them at the same tier. Until then the models look really good on my shelf shelf :D 

The TIE defender DID get a 'points buff'.  All pilots are 2 points cheaper than they were pre-points revision (possible exception being Vessery---not sure if his points changed, but the rest I'm certain of, because I've used them all)

15 hours ago, blade_mercurial said:

The TIE defender DID get a 'points buff'.  All pilots are 2 points cheaper than they were pre-points revision (possible exception being Vessery---not sure if his points changed, but the rest I'm certain of, because I've used them all)

And it is better than nothing for sure, it still makes me cringe when I can table a fully loaded Hate Vader (76) vs a naked Rexler Brath (82) and if you want to fly a "cheap" Def an INT 1 is still at 70. You can have any other Imperial ship fully loaded with a 4-6 INT ace at that cost and I wont even raise my blood pressure to look at other faction comparisons.

That all said I do think the optimizations are going in the right direction, I am just slightly tilted that the defender isn't in the same tier as the E-wing... but rebels have that going for them which is nice.

End rant 

I still believe in the Defender. I doubt you'll see one win a major event in the near future but they're very solid.

I think doing well with them relies a lot on turn zero. I'm not expert enough to really help with that :D

But they're long game ships, so the opening exchanges need careful management. Getting your set up and approach plan right is really important. Being fairly predictable, its hard to react well to knife fighters and they don't like being cornered. So, they're vulnerable early on, when your opponent can bring all of his/her arcs to bear on one. You're almost certainly too far behind on points if that happens. The variance in that is why I think you don't see them as much at a truly competitive level.

Having Fel for the squirrelly things should help. 

I've personally been more a fan of 1 Defender rather than 2 recently. You can have a stronger D, and a really neat 3rd ship that'll bring something totally different. It's more flexible, so it's a bit more fun.