Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
AllWingsStandyingBy

So, no K2SO then...

Recommended Posts

I love, as a Rebel player who converted 1.0 --> 2.0, I do not need to spend any more money on X-Wing, it seems.

I hate, as a Rebel converted player, that I have no access to Composure, Agile Gunner (far and away the best and most-used Gunner for large turrets), Darth Maul / Hate, whatever the new generic upgrade cards in the new Wave 3 and Wave 4 packs turn out to be (e.g. the new "Plasma Torpedo," the new "Adrenaline Rush," Brilliant Evasion, etc.).  I suppose we may see Agile Gunner or Composure, for instance, in the Falcon re-release as one of the 'facedown' cards... but I won't hold my breath because it seems like they'd have been eager to show off that they come in the new pack instead of Swarm Tactics and Homing Missile... lol.  What seems more likely is that apparently we're not going to ever see K-2SO crew/pilot or Hera in a B-Wing or RZ1 A-Wing... or any RZ1 A-Wing with Initiative 6, it seems... given that the past two waves have established the precedence of no new content for ship re-releases. 


So I'm ... conflicted...?  Quick, internet, tell me how to feel about this!  I'm leaning more toward the "eh, not spending any more money on this game > having new content to look forward to camp.  Between no new Rebel X-Wing stuff and no Armada stuff, period, it's a really bumper crop kind of year for home projects :)

Edited by AllWingsStandyingBy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the decimator is where you look for a hopeful path. The imperail conversion kit didn't contain 0-0-0, or BT-1, but the decimator does. Lets see if some of the generics get slipped in over time.

 

What I really which FFG would/could do is issue a semi-annual season back for like $20 with all the generics and a couple of ship updates, cardboard only for all factions, but I doubt they will.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One of the few examples where FFG hasn't yet shown they like money. I trade and barter for the cards I need amongst my gaming group or online and it's awesome. I'm just fine with getting what I need through third parties, let the capitalistic independent person profit here. I actually hope it stays like this so I don't have to buy excess of things I don't need. Card packs would just add a glut of paper I don't need. 

 

That being said, I hope you stick with the game. They obviously made a killing selling a bunch of cardboard and paper with the conversion kits. They'll probably come around to wanting to make higher margin items soon enough to keep resellers from profiting off their IP. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, iwantbatteries said:

What I really which FFG would/could do is issue a semi-annual season back for like $20 with all the generics and a couple of ship updates, cardboard only for all factions, but I doubt they will.


Seriously, this is the only ideal route.  Because even if the Falcon contained Composure and Agile Gunner, for instance, people would have to buy at $40 duplicate ship and duplicate cards for a few new cards... and that's really no different then just buying the $40 Lando's Falcon for the same darn cards.

I remember all the bright-eyed optimistic folks saying that FFG would be doing card-only packs of new cards/pilots, so that people wouldn't have to buy useless (either out-of-faction or duplicate in-faction) ships to get new card content and thinking "LOL YEA RIGHT."  I mean, I wish those people were right, but this is Asmodee we're talking about.

The real solution, though, is just to make high quality proxies (aka: counterfeits) of the cards and use them, even in tournaments.  This worked for autothrusters and TLTs and such back in the day, and it works now for stuff like Agile Gunner or 0-0-0 or the Moldy Crow title).  No one should have to buy $40-50 sets they don't need for a card or two they'd like to use.  Better to chance irking a TO then to throw dozens of dollars away to get Malibu Stacy's new hat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Cloaker said:

That being said, I hope you stick with the game. They obviously made a killing selling a bunch of cardboard and paper with the conversion kits. They'll probably come around to wanting to make higher margin items soon enough to keep resellers from profiting off their IP. 



Except the resellers are still buying the FFG product, and FFG is still seeing that money?  I mean for every Moldy Crow card someone sold for $10... they still dropped $50 on an entire Rebel Conversion kit to get it...some of which they may have kept for themselves or tried to part out, which would require lots of time on their part to maybe make back most of that $50.


PS: I'm still totally sticking with the game, and I'm enjoying casual games of X-Wing 2.0 much more than casual games of X-Wing 1.0 (tournament games I enjoy less, actually, but that's a complex set of reasons).  So it's kind of nice to have a "finished" living game on my shelf I'm not always needing to invest in to update.  :)  But I would like to believe as a Rebel player that I'd have some new pilots/upgrades to eventually utilize without having to wait a few years for the random new ship-type to pop up in the Cassian-Andor live action series or something.

Edited by AllWingsStandyingBy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, AllWingsStandyingBy said:

So I'm ... conflicted...?  Quick, internet, tell me how to feel about this!

Panic! Assume the worst and quit the game because there is no hope and FFG never ever makes good decisions and has never given and will never give X-Wing players what they’re hoping for! There is absolutely 0 chance that the reason FFG is releasing no new pilots or unique cards with the reprints is because they’re eventually planning on releasing Aces packs and/or expansion packs akin to the conversion kits that will release new pilots/crew/upgrades that will be useful for both conversion-kit-players and 2.0-expac-only-players alike!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, AllWingsStandyingBy said:


I remember all the bright-eyed optimistic folks saying that FFG would be doing card-only packs of new cards/pilots, so that people wouldn't have to buy useless (either out-of-faction or duplicate in-faction) ships to get new card content and thinking "LOL YEA RIGHT."  I mean, I wish those people were right, but this is Asmodee we're talking about.

This is one comment from the Devs that seems to have been miscommunicated by a lot of people. The specific statement was that if they released new content in a re-release such as new pilots or configurations, there would be a way to get that content without having to buy the entire re-released expansion. FFG has technically kept to that promise by not releasing any new content in the Wave 3 and 4 rereleases*, since somebody in development really, really doesn't want to do card and cardboard only expansions apparently. Which is kind of a shame, since the B-wing (And future rereleases of classic fighters like the A-wing and Tie Interceptor) could really use new pilots.**

*Well, kind of. The killbots in the decimator and Afterburners in the b-wing** have exposed a bit of a grey area here.

**Can we just take a minute to appreciate what a weird choice for the B-wing this is? It has so few speed 3+ maneuvers.

Edited by Squark

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm hoping FFG will eventually do something similar to Armada's Corellian Campaign for X-Wing. Both because I want the campaign, and also because it provides a model where they can distribute pilot cards and upgrades without miniatures.

At the very least, they could do use the squadron box as a replacement for the "ace" packs, and introduce ones for the existing factions in order to bring in more pilots for existing ships.

I'd prefer the campaign/scenario box, because I'd love some sort of storyline element to the game for casual play, but I'd take squadron boxes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, AllWingsStandyingBy said:

The real solution, though, is just to make high quality proxies (aka: counterfeits) of the cards and use them, even in tournaments.  This worked for autothrusters and TLTs and such back in the day, and it works now for stuff like Agile Gunner or 0-0-0 or the Moldy Crow title).  No one should have to buy $40-50 sets they don't need for a card or two they'd like to use.  Better to chance irking a TO then to throw dozens of dollars away to get Malibu Stacy's new hat.

Don’t call them counterfeits please. Slap a new cool image and call them unofficial alt arts. :) 

I see folks playing at events with them all the time. Unless it’s a top tier event like a system open nobody cares or asks questions.

If I was running an event locally, I wouldn’t say anything unless it was an illegal list or was being done in such a way that it could cause confusion (wrong ship base, etc especially if there’s more than one model of the same type on the board).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Squark said:

**Can we just take a minute to appreciate what a weird choice for the B-wing this is? It has so few speed 3+ maneuvers.

It want's to get in close as quickly as possible and stay there to knife fight. It makes sense to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Hiemfire said:

It want's to get in close as quickly as possible and stay there to knife fight. It makes sense to me.

It only has one non-red speed 3+ maneuver. Jousters really, really need their dice mods. While you can still trigger afterburners off a 3-bank, you're not going to do much without a focus token. Plus, the tallon rolls and k-turn are too slow to trigger afterburners, which removes their coolest trick.

Edited by Squark

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, ScummyRebel said:

Don’t call them counterfeits please. Slap a new cool image and call them unofficial alt arts. :)


Right, but you still need an 'official looking' proxy of the real card that can be quickly flashed to any grumpy TO who says something like "You do have the real card, right?"  It just needs to pass a quick glance verification, at most, then it gets tucked back in the box or back behind the unofficial alt art.  ;)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Squark said:

It only has one non-red speed 3+ maneuver. Jousters really, really need their dice mods. While you can still trigger afterburners off a 3-bank, you're not going to do much without a focus token. Plus, the tallon rolls and k-turn are too slow to trigger afterburners, which removes their coolest trick.

🤨 It has 2 charges. Use it to get in range (3 bank + small base + 1 bank boost the opposite direction or same direction is **** good for closing) from oblique or overtake someone who's trying to flee. It has utility on the B-Wing for getting into and maintaining the scrum. Focusing on just Jousting (head on close fire, turn, fire like a TIE/Ln) with a B-Wing gets them killed very quickly. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Squark said:

It only has one non-red speed 3+ maneuver. Jousters really, really need their dice mods. While you can still trigger afterburners off a 3-bank, you're not going to do much without a focus token. Plus, the tallon rolls and k-turn are too slow to trigger afterburners, which removes their coolest trick.

The named Bwings are literally made to be stressed. What are you talking about?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think they have a lot of product to push out between re-releases and adding new factions and that we might see more new content for the classic ships once all this has abated (aces packs, a campaign box or cardboard expansions).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, mazz0 said:

Umm...

Executor.jpg


What's your point?  I said that the past year has been great for having extra would-have-been hobby money, since there wasn't any new Armada content.  It is true that it's been a full year without a single Armada release.  Granted, the SSD is probably due out in the new few months (I'd guess maybe by the end of March, but who knows).  I mainline Rebels in Armada, and given the $200 price tag of the SSD and how unlikely it is that I'd ever play the casual larger point limit format, it's an easy ship for me to pass on whenever it does eventually show up.  That said, it's eventual arrival in the next few months does not invalidate the claim that over the past year that wasn't a single Armada release.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, AllWingsStandyingBy said:


What's your point?  I said that the past year has been great for having extra would-have-been hobby money, since there wasn't any new Armada content.  It is true that it's been a full year without a single Armada release.  Granted, the SSD is probably due out in the new few months (I'd guess maybe by the end of March, but who knows).  I mainline Rebels in Armada, and given the $200 price tag of the SSD and how unlikely it is that I'd ever play the casual larger point limit format, it's an easy ship for me to pass on whenever it does eventually show up.  That said, it's eventual arrival in the next few months does not invalidate the claim that over the past year that wasn't a single Armada release.

Ooh, I thought you were saying you were looking forward to not having to spend any money in the coming year.  My mistake!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×