HanScottFirst

Are card packs going to be a thing?

Just now, MaxTeranous said:

The sense of entitlement is hilarious

I would have no sense of entitlement given the current state of X-Wing and what we know of future releases... where it not for the fact that FFG in their wisdom made some promises that they decided to not keep (in my opinion, I'll get to that).

They said no out of faction purchases was needed to get all cards your faction of choise could use. Granted they did not say all cards would be avalible for your faction at the same time as they are made avalible for other factions. But if that is how that statement is to be seen, then 2.0 is no different then 1.0 was and that promise means abolutley nothing.

11 hours ago, JJ48 said:

A huge ship uses more than one plastic base. Huge ships have many additional rules. They were introduced in the first edition of X-Wing and will be reintroduced in an upcoming product.

I see.  So, sounds like it's in the works, then.  My guess is that they'll probably wait until the game's been out at least a year, to give the standard game type a chance to settle down and for players to get used to Hyperspace before releasing something as different and exciting as Epic.

Honestly I wouldn’t be surprised if they killed 3 birds with 1 stone. 

Wave 2 conversion kits: each with their own faction campaign rules. Includes new pilots, epic ship conversions, and how to setup and run a campaign with all of the Necessary materials, as well as multiple copies of any new generic upgrades released during the previous year (up until packaging release) and any new faction exclusives.

probably retail for about $50 USD, same as the big wave 1 convos.

On 2/10/2019 at 10:03 AM, gamblertuba said:

Are you referring to hyperspace legal or the fact that not all 1.0 pilots have been converted?  I'm not holding my breath for Fel's Wrath.

nobody is broken up about fel, lol. 

no im talking about the $400 of ships FFG sold to many of us under the claim they were part of the game:  the GR75, CR90, I.A.C., Raider, and C.R.O.C.

On ‎2‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 8:30 AM, Max Teranous said:

Pure cards packs I don’t see. Not FFGs model at all for miniature games. I do see a campaign pack with other value add components and new pilots upgrades however.

It's a logical idea - it would also be a sensible place to allow players to access stuff like the new terrain types (gas clouds) and so on.

4 hours ago, Vontoothskie said:

no im talking about the $400 of ships FFG sold to many of us under the claim they were part of the game:  the GR75, CR90, I.A.C., Raider, and C.R.O.C.

They are part of the game. They're part of 1st edition X-Wing, which is how they were sold to you at the time. The fact that game has now been discontinued doesn't invalidate that claim. FFG also said, right at the very outset of 2nd edition, that Epic was planned but gave no timeline. They said you wouldn't have to buy out of faction to get upgrade cards and that seems to be a promise they're honouring judging by what we're seeing with the Decimator and 0-0-0/BT-1. The fact they're not delivering these promises in exactly the way you want, or assumed, isn't FFG's fault.

8 hours ago, Vontoothskie said:

The unfortunate truth is I played maybe two games with my CR-90 and one with my Raider.  None with my C-Roc.  The fact that they aren't supported (yet?) in 2nd Ed. doesn't really affect their playtime much...  

I do want to see some Epic support sooner rather than later but I'm not super optimistic.  I don't think it's very high on their priority list and the pace of releases doesn't leave much time for development of Epic.  Hope they can get it right when it happens though.

Will FFG ever put out card packs for X-Wing?
For Epic, if it gets converted we'll almost certainly see an "Epic Conversion Kit" that has 2.0 content for all of the Huge Ships.  There'd be no way FFG would believe they could relaunch the format with the expectation that its few fans would need to rebuy all of those huge ships, so it'll have to be conversion route or no route at all (which, if Epic never came back, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised).

For standard play X-Wing will we see card-only packs to give access to new pilots or certain upgrades?
Short answer: No.
Long answer: Nooooooooooope.

FFG absolutely said you wouldn't have to buy new ships (edit: ones that were in 1st edition) to get new cards for your faction.  They didn't really give much detail about what that would look like or when those cards would be available. I can't find the video of it but I remember Alex Davy saying it and he wasn't referring to the conversion kits.  If I remember correctly it was the first day of the world championships in May 2018.

Edited by Skitchx

Card packs seem like they might be a thing in the sense of Corellian Conflict from Armada. Maybe new versions of Wedge or Luke or Vader or so on. You'd use the models and ship tokens you already have but with some new pilot cards  and upgrades. The new pilots would be meant to be used in a new campaign or in scenario play. Perhaps as some sort of quick-build draft format.

I think it more likely though things will be faction specific briefly with release in another faction's expansion down the line. 

1 hour ago, Skitchx said:

FFG absolutely said you wouldn't have to buy new ships to get new cards for your faction.  They didn't really give much detail about what that would look like or when those cards would be available. I can't find the video of it but I remember Alex Davy saying it and he wasn't referring to the conversion kits.  If I remember correctly it was the first day of the world championships in May 2018.

“Buy new ships” and “Rebuying existing ships” have very different meanings. FFG said the later, not the former.

If they bring out a TIE Brute for example, it **** sure will have new cards in it that won’t be present elsewhere for Imperials.

3 hours ago, Max Teranous said:

“Buy new ships” and “Rebuying existing ships” have very different meanings. FFG said the later, not the former.

If they bring out a TIE Brute for example, it **** sure will have new cards in it that won’t be present elsewhere for Imperials.

Correct, I misworded what I meant. Thank you for clarifying as it is a very important distinction.

Edited by Skitchx

19 hours ago, gamblertuba said:

The unfortunate truth is I played maybe two games with my CR-90 and one with my Raider.  None with my C-Roc.  The fact that they aren't supported (yet?) in 2nd Ed. doesn't really affect their playtime much...  

I do want to see some Epic support sooner rather than later but I'm not super optimistic.  I don't think it's very high on their priority list and the pace of releases doesn't leave much time for development of Epic.  Hope they can get it right when it happens though.

im not optimistic either,  but FFG made millions dollars selling epic ships, plus all the extra regular ships people bought to play Epic. they made an enourmous profit, now they should keep their word

12 hours ago, TheCeilican said:

And yet only two people seem to care.

Three.

On ‎2‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 2:47 AM, TheCeilican said:

Epic isn't really x-wing anyway, it doesn't count.

Ah, Epic.  The version of X-Wing where

• you routinely have to manage more dials than you can count on one hand
  • you can't just netlist a single broken combo to win
  • fortressing isn't a viable strategy on a board that big
  • over-blown aces die under a withering barrage of generics
  • you need to understand a second set of rules to run Huge ships
  • you might actually play a scenario where killing everything doesn't work
  • you need to be ready to commit to more than 60 minutes of play time

I understand.  It's really just not for everyone.

I think we're up to 5 now...

I am excited to see how Epic 2.0 pans out, but I understand that we PROBABLY won't even get a whiff of it until Fall/Winter of this year... though I'd absolutely love to be wrong on this.

I’m in the caring boat. That’s what, 6 now?

Plus I know I speak for others in my area not on the forums consistently. We had a summer league with around a dozen participants meeting up for their matches to play. 

1 minute ago, Hiemfire said:

Define "Whiff".

swz46_main.png

Oh... right... okay, so THIS would be a whiff...

I guess... let me rephrase...

*AHEM*

I guess what I MEANT to say was...

hmm...

am excited to see how Epic 2.0 pans out, but I understand that we PROBABLY won't even get a a hint of where the steaming pile of dog mess we just got a whiff of until Fall/Winter of this year... though I'd absolutely love to be wrong on this.

Yes. This is better.