Jump to content
HanScottFirst

Are card packs going to be a thing?

Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, gamblertuba said:

Are you referring to hyperspace legal or the fact that not all 1.0 pilots have been converted?  I'm not holding my breath for Fel's Wrath.

He's talking about Epic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Vontoothskie said:

That was my entire point.  FFG said that all 1.0 ships would be playable at launch of 2.0, and they arent.  they said conversion kits would convert all the advertised contents, but they dont. they said upgrade cards would be available without ship purchase so people wouldnt need to buy what they already own to get new upgrades, but you cant. they said there wouldn't be cards you had to buy out of faction ships for, but there are. At this point I assume FFG isnt going do anything but upsell

I thought every non epic ship got converted?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, TheCeilican said:

It did.  He's probably trying to include Imperial Firespray as #5 in the hope that somebody engages with him on it and he has justification to continue his spurious ranting.

CR-90, GR-75, Raider Corvette, Imperial Assault Carrier (the Imp Gozanti), and C-ROC. That's 5.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Card packs find place in a wave when they are running out of ships to be published, variants included. So to me is quite unrealistic to expect that. The most like ways to sell the card packs some one wanted were the conversion kits and there were terrible feedback from the public on the web that they are still examinating to understand.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, CapitanGuinea said:

there were terrible feedback from the public on the web that they are still examinating to understand

It's the internet, nasty feedback is going to happen regardless of FFG does. Any decision made is going to anger someone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Literally half the threads on the forums these days are "will there be card packs/there should be card packs." At this point, either FFG is going to make them, or they're not, and IMHO, this discussion is getting old.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hiemfire said:

CR-90, GR-75, Raider Corvette, Imperial Assault Carrier (the Imp Gozanti), and C-ROC. That's 5.

I did not hear them say Epic ships were going to be available at launch? Where is your source for this? 

And did you honestly think it would? Or are you just trolling?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, RedHotDice said:

I did not hear them say Epic ships were going to be available at launch? Where is your source for this? 

And did you honestly think it would? Or are you just trolling?

I was clarifying what 5 were likely being referred to by Vontoothskie in response to @TheCeilican thinking that the Imperial Firespray was among them, not trying to support their false claim. Those are the only 5 "1.0 ships" that haven't been converted in any fashion yet. Per FFG's FAQ on the Second Edition main page Epic being converted to 2.0 is planned and the new templates that they're releasing strongly supports that (the multi-piece range ruler extends out to Range 5 when fully assembled, it is a base piece + 4 additional pieces that socket into it and each other) the conversion of the Epic ships is still in the works.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Max Teranous said:

I thought every non epic ship got converted?

the epic ships didnt, which is nearly $400 dollars worth of ships you can no longer play. when 2.0 was announced they said all 1.0 ships would remain playable in 2.0.

considering a 2.0 starter set and one of each conversion kit already costs  $260 the idea you need to pay extra for an epic conversion for each faction is absurd.  plus anybody who played epic or swarms likely needs multiple of each conversion kit. its just a botched roll out

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also no game like x-wing has attempteda re-boot this deep. 

Perhaps the best comparison would be Star Trek attack wing but man that game is nothing to write home about. 

There was no perfect way to move to 2.0. Cut them a little slack.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Vontoothskie said:

the epic ships didnt, which is nearly $400 dollars worth of ships you can no longer play. when 2.0 was announced they said all 1.0 ships would remain playable in 2.0.

considering a 2.0 starter set and one of each conversion kit already costs  $260 the idea you need to pay extra for an epic conversion for each faction is absurd.  plus anybody who played epic or swarms likely needs multiple of each conversion kit. its just a botched roll out

Didn't they also imply (if not outright state) that Epic support would be further down the line; not immediately available upon release?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, JJ48 said:

Didn't they also imply (if not outright state) that Epic support would be further down the line; not immediately available upon release?

no. they said all ships from 1.0 would playable before new content was released.  it was only months later when players realized that epic wasnt supported that they said it might take awhile

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope card packs become a thing (Like a Corellian Conflict of Armada) so we can get new Pilots for older ships (A-wings/B-wings/Interceptors etc) so we can have some more diversity with ships of that nature without buying ships themselves. I feel like that would be the only way other than Squadron packs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, MegaSilver said:

Huge ships are mentioned in the Rules Reference.

A huge ship uses more than one plastic base. Huge ships have many additional rules. They were introduced in the first edition of X-Wing and will be reintroduced in an upcoming product.

I see.  So, sounds like it's in the works, then.  My guess is that they'll probably wait until the game's been out at least a year, to give the standard game type a chance to settle down and for players to get used to Hyperspace before releasing something as different and exciting as Epic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Vontoothskie said:

no. they said all ships from 1.0 would playable before new content was released.  it was only months later when players realized that epic wasnt supported that they said it might take awhile

It was on the FAQ page the first week after the announcement.

"What about Epic Mode?
Epic will continue to be a supported X-Wing format in future releases! Stay tuned to future X-Wing Second Edition announcements for more information."

Believe, me, I've been hanging onto those words for  8 months. I cannot wait!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Vontoothskie said:

That was my entire point.  FFG said that all 1.0 ships would be playable at launch of 2.0, and they arent.  they said conversion kits would convert all the advertised contents, but they dont. they said upgrade cards would be available without ship purchase so people wouldnt need to buy what they already own to get new upgrades, but you cant. they said there wouldn't be cards you had to buy out of faction ships for, but there are. At this point I assume FFG isnt going do anything but upsell

People here seem to have focused only on your first point (about "all ships" from 1.0 being playable in 2.0) and trying to pick that apart.

I'm more intrersted in the other points. I to remember FFG saying I should not need to buy ships of other factions to get cards I could use with my prefered faction. Has that not allready been proven false? And doesn't it look like it will be even more false coming wave 3 and 4? Please correct me if I'm wrong. I'd love to be wrong on this. I was very much looking forward to only having to buy stuff from the factions I actualy play.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Smuggler said:

People here seem to have focused only on your first point (about "all ships" from 1.0 being playable in 2.0) and trying to pick that apart.

I'm more intrersted in the other points. I to remember FFG saying I should not need to buy ships of other factions to get cards I could use with my prefered faction. Has that not allready been proven false? And doesn't it look like it will be even more false coming wave 3 and 4? Please correct me if I'm wrong. I'd love to be wrong on this. I was very much looking forward to only having to buy stuff from the factions I actualy play.

I think 0-0-0 and BT-1 were before only available on the Scum & Villainy Conversion Kit, but now they are available in the Decimator 2.0 for Imperials.

We can probably expect Maul to appear on the Ghost 2.0 for Rebels, whenever that comes out.

It was never promised that we would get all the new cards on the same wave for all factions.
It was promised that we wouldn't need to rebuy the ships we already own just for the new cards.

If that is the case, then Maul and the autoblaster cannon will be released for Rebels, and 0-0-0 and BT-1 will be released for Imperials either on a card pack or on, alternatively, a totally new ship.
This last option would allow them to keep their promises "You won't have to re-buy ships you already own" and "You won't have to buy ships not of your faction just for cards", while making us have to wait and buy new ships we perhaps don't want, even when they are in our chosen faction.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Smuggler said:

People here seem to have focused only on your first point (about "all ships" from 1.0 being playable in 2.0) and trying to pick that apart.

I'm more intrersted in the other points. I to remember FFG saying I should not need to buy ships of other factions to get cards I could use with my prefered faction. Has that not allready been proven false? And doesn't it look like it will be even more false coming wave 3 and 4? Please correct me if I'm wrong. I'd love to be wrong on this. I was very much looking forward to only having to buy stuff from the factions I actualy play.

thanks for actually reading my comment!

and yeah, theyve already broken their word on that. considering the lifespan of these games(or at least editions) is 2 to 5 years, even if they make those cards available in faction eventually it'll likely be too late...  much like the Jumpmaster getting nerfed 2 years and 5 waves later was too long

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×