HanScottFirst

Are card packs going to be a thing?

I feel like it was said they would release card packs with each wave? Or am I getting that mixed up with them including the Wave 1 expansion cards in the Conversion Kits? I might have heard it in an interview or a forum post or something, where card packs were a thing? Or maybe I am totally mistaken . . .

Here is the problem if there is no new content in rereleases and they promised that you are fine to buy one faction: the only way to get new cards would be if that faction (Rebels, Scum, Imperials primarily) get an entirely new ship. Right? If they only have conversion kit content with the rereleases of first edition ships, you will never get the new cards, because new cards will only be with new ships. Unless there are card packs, or you go on eBay and pay a fortune. 

I am sure/hope a rerelease will get new cards at some point. I wonder if it is just these first few waves where they are trying to grow second edition.

Not trying to be polemic, mostly wondering if anyone else heard about card packs.

Edited by HanScottFirst

38 minutes ago, flooze said:

If I remember correctly, they said they will provide a way to get cards without having to buy ships

This is pretty much it from what I remember lurking here. Conversion kits so far have clearly filled this need. My suspicion so far is that FFG isn't quite sure how they intend to do this going forward so they are sticking with pure re-releases of pilots from conversion kits. That just leaves new generic upgrades as a sticking point.

My hope is once they decide on a method, we will start seeing new pilots for ships like the A-wing, TIE Interceptor, and B-wing, as well as generic cards the various factions need.

I could see instead something similar to Correllian Campaign instead of card packs. Basically products that support scenarios/campaigns (maybe even single player) that include the cards as a side bonus. It would still force people to buy things they may not want for upgrades, but they would keep their promise in not forcing people to buy ships they already have. As a bonus they would get the scenario and campaign stuff to those itching for it (I know I would probably buy it).

I would be 100% down for a campaign pack that had some thematic pilot set. Dawn of the Rebellion, pilots and missions detailing he period from between Solo and Rogue One. Would hit all three original factions.

or how about a more abitious Hoth pack. Contains some special tokens and rules for land based combat, cardboard tokens for AT-ST and AT-AT walkers, Dak and Jenson crew, maybe some sort of area control mechanic, or an escape mission. Bonus: could contain conversion and rules for the Rebel Transport Epic ship.

Order 66… rules for mixing some clone pilots with Separatists, and new clone upgrades like Gregor Wulf and Rex that stayed loyal to the Jedi. Maybe alternate victory conditions, say like ensuring young Padawan Caleb Dume survives.

Im down for this. And as a way of getting more pilots I am 100% down for this.

I'd guess that there'll be no new content in re-released single ships and no need for any packs.

When the old factions finally get ship/pilot updates I think they'll do it in the form of deluxe packs.

That way they technically keep their word ("veteran players wont have to buy new ships") while still effectively getting veteran players to buy new product.

I mean think about it, why spend development effort to update a ship's content, and sell a few $5 card packs to vets, when instead you can spend 2x the development effort, design 2 new paint jobs, and sell it for $40 to vests and 2.0-only buyers alike

Edited by prauxim

It'd certainly be possible to release an annual pack of generic upgrade cards in the LCG pack format.  IE a clamshell pack of 60 cards.

Possibly one pack for each faction with new pilots plus 1 generic.

Their business model & production line is capable of doing this format.

However I'd also be all for a campaign set that has them in as well (epic campaign with upgrades).

Look at Armada, they never released a card pack with variant ships or upgrade cards but did release a campaign with alternate pilots.  Alternatively we have a history of Veteran packs with X-wing, which included new pilots and upgrades.  So it could go either way.  I'm leaning more towards the Veteran packs with alt paint schemes, along with extra pilots and upgrades.

they said you wouldnt need to buy ships you owned, but FFG have already been caught lying or at least not honoring their claims.  My playgroup isnt converting to 2.0 until they convert the redt of the 1.0 ships, so im hoping that they release those cards with the epic conversion

What for?

The App controls all the information intentionally left off of the cards so no need to reprint them or make new ones.

Conversion kits are not to give you cards but simply give you the components that your 1st edition models need to play 2nd edition.  

Edited by Marinealver

Currently the next decimator expansion will be the only way for an imperial player to have bt1 gunner... for shure i won't buy a new decimator for that card

20190210_094035.png

2 hours ago, Vontoothskie said:

they said you wouldnt need to buy ships you owned, but FFG have already been caught lying or at least not honoring their claims.  My playgroup isnt converting to 2.0 until they convert the redt of the 1.0 ships, so im hoping that they release those cards with the epic conversion

You may be waiting forever, there’s no guarantee they’ll rerelease every 1.0 ship.

16 minutes ago, Max Teranous said:

You may be waiting forever, there’s no guarantee they’ll rerelease every 1.0 ship.

Well, they said they will but at current rate of release they won't be done til about 2023, at the earliest.

Edited by TheCeilican

33 minutes ago, Max Teranous said:

That was my entire point.  FFG said that all 1.0 ships would be playable at launch of 2.0, and they arent.  they said conversion kits would convert all the advertised contents, but they dont. they said upgrade cards would be available without ship purchase so people wouldnt need to buy what they already own to get new upgrades, but you cant. they said there wouldn't be cards you had to buy out of faction ships for, but there are. At this point I assume FFG isnt going do anything but upsell

That was my entire point.  FFG said that all 1.0 ships would be playable at launch of 2.0, and they arent.  they said conversion kits would convert all the advertised contents, but they dont. they said upgrade cards would be available without ship purchase so people wouldnt need to buy what they already own to get new upgrades, but you cant. they said there wouldn't be cards you had to buy out of faction ships for, but there are. At this point I assume FFG isnt going do anything but upsell

Bye then.

That was my entire point.  FFG said that all 1.0 ships would be playable at launch of 2.0, and they arent.  they said conversion kits would convert all the advertised contents, but they dont. they said upgrade cards would be available without ship purchase so people wouldnt need to buy what they already own to get new upgrades, but you cant. they said there wouldn't be cards you had to buy out of faction ships for, but there are. 

Well let’s be fair here — the only ships not able to be used in 2.0 today are the epic ships. Which they did call out as a “coming later” element. Every other 1.0 ship is playable in 2.0 with the conversion kit.

I’ve been pretty vocal lately about their  failings, but I’m at least sticking to that which they’ve actually done.