Sign in to follow this  
gmcc

How good is this game?

1 hour ago, JBento said:

I don't know if it's SUPPOSED to be, but in my gaming group it is, and you're exchanging forum messages with him. >_>

Oh, I was not referring specifically to your group. The Bushido-stuff you mentioned and I quoted comes up a lot regarding this game. 

1 hour ago, AtoMaki said:

I still can't believe that playing an unironically principled character is supposed to be anomalous. 

There was someone posting topics based on utter psycho character concepts during the beta, and I could have sworn that was you...

42 minutes ago, nameless ronin said:

There was someone posting topics based on utter psycho character concepts during the beta, and I could have sworn that was you...

Hey, Yue did have mental health problems, but she was very much a honorable lady :D

1 hour ago, AtoMaki said:

Oh, I was not referring specifically to your group. The Bushido-stuff you mentioned and I quoted comes up a lot regarding this game. 

It now occurs to me that my response can be misinterpreted: what I meant was that there's only one person in my group that plays something else than a murder hobo, and that's me. We'll see how the rest of my group handles L5R once we get through the starter set adventure - some are creating new toons after that, others are continuing with the premades.

14 hours ago, JBento said:

It now occurs to me that my response can be misinterpreted: what I meant was that there's only one person in my group that plays something else than a murder hobo, and that's me. We'll see how the rest of my group handles L5R once we get through the starter set adventure

Indeed. I'd try and throw a decent 'court' adventure - one of the old "Bushido" series modules is interesting (as is Wedding at Kyotei Castle, which is new and freely available off the website). 

Basically, there is (potentially) a swordfight, but you're not fighting for toys for yourself, you're trying to make sure that the rightful heir(s) end up as ruler of Kyotei castle.

Which one is that?

Well.....figuring that out is your problem. Taking a totally strict view of bushido, the answer is 'none of them', and you're looking for the least worst option, so no-one said the problem would be easy. 

4 hours ago, Magnus Grendel said:

Indeed. I'd try and throw a decent 'court' adventure - one of the old "Bushido" series modules is interesting (as is Wedding at Kyotei Castle, which is new and freely available off the website). 

Basically, there is (potentially) a swordfight, but you're not fighting for toys for yourself, you're trying to make sure that the rightful heir(s) end up as ruler of Kyotei castle.

Which one is that?

Well.....figuring that out is your problem. Taking a totally strict view of bushido, the answer is 'none of them', and you're looking for the least worst option, so no-one said the problem would be easy. 

I'm not GMing, but yeah, Kyotei is on our list of stuff to play - we're going to make our rounds across the F2P adventures (plus the one in the GM screen), but I don't know the order our GM is going to throw them at us. Right now, we're right before the dinner of the second day of the starter set adventure - it's really a pity there's no game session this week, because boy oh boy, I can't wait to see how THAT comes along when half the group is both compromised (one of them already unmasked, and he's compromised AGAIN) AND drunk. The characters, not the players.

MAYBE not the players. >_>

3 hours ago, JBento said:

I'm not GMing, but yeah, Kyotei is on our list of stuff to play - we're going to make our rounds across the F2P adventures (plus the one in the GM screen), but I don't know the order our GM is going to throw them at us. Right now, we're right before the dinner of the second day of the starter set adventure - it's really a pity there's no game session this week, because boy oh boy, I can't wait to see how THAT comes along when half the group is both compromised (one of them already unmasked, and he's compromised AGAIN) AND drunk. The characters, not the players.

MAYBE not the players. >_>

Not that that doesn't sound delightful, but shouldn't the dinner be a new scene?

1 hour ago, nameless ronin said:

Not that that doesn't sound delightful, but shouldn't the dinner be a new scene?

I have no idea. Since it's such a big thematic shift and there's an (admittedly small) time interval, I'd imagine yes, but the GM says it isn't. Maybe the adventure says it isn't, or it doesn't say anything, or it does and he decided against it, but in any case the GM says it isn't and he has more information on it than I do, so I'm in no position to argue.

And also scene switching wouldn't affect my toon, so meh. 😜

4 minutes ago, JBento said:

I have no idea. Since it's such a big thematic shift and there's an (admittedly small) time interval, I'd imagine yes, but the GM says it isn't. Maybe the adventure says it isn't, or it doesn't say anything, or it does and he decided against it, but in any case the GM says it isn't and he has more information on it than I do, so I'm in no position to argue.

And also scene switching wouldn't affect my toon, so meh. 😜

On the one hand it's fun if strife accumulation is pressing, but on the other hand if everyone's constantly compromised or about to be my players would probably drop out right quick. Still, if you're having fun you're having fun and that's all that matters.

7 minutes ago, nameless ronin said:

On the one hand it's fun if strife accumulation is pressing, but on the other hand if everyone's constantly compromised or about to be my players would probably drop out right quick. Still, if you're having fun you're having fun and that's all that matters.

Eh, the one person who's used their unmasking is the Scorpion (who has, you know, FOUR composure), and only because he insisted on not using Void, ever. The other two compromised are the Crane (who has... six? I think) and the Crab, and only because all three decided to pull out all the stops nearing the end of the second day's trials, even though they already had their 8 points, so we can all consider this a lesson on Strife management. NOT coincidentally, those three are also the ones who are drunk, because they went to the sake house and decided to just keep drinking against the NPC heavy drinker... and then they all failed their Fitness. Yes, even the Crab.

9 minutes ago, JBento said:

Eh, the one person who's used their unmasking is the Scorpion (who has, you know, FOUR composure), and only because he insisted on not using Void, ever. The other two compromised are the Crane (who has... six? I think) and the Crab, and only because all three decided to pull out all the stops nearing the end of the second day's trials, even though they already had their 8 points, so we can all consider this a lesson on Strife management. NOT coincidentally, those three are also the ones who are drunk, because they went to the sake house and decided to just keep drinking against the NPC heavy drinker... and then they all failed their Fitness. Yes, even the Crab.

Drunk is drunk, that won't wear off with a half hour break. Getting to drop some strife before the next scene is important though, it messes with your rolls too much otherwise or gets players to try to avoid rolling altogether. Your GM's table though, he knows your group and I don't.

13 hours ago, JBento said:

NOT coincidentally, those three are also the ones who are drunk, because they went to the sake house and decided to just keep drinking against the NPC heavy drinker... and then they all failed their Fitness. Yes, even the Crab.

Isn't it nice there's no possible way this could cause problems later on. 😁

7 hours ago, Magnus Grendel said:

Isn't it nice there's no possible way this could cause problems later on. 😁

I'm sure it'll all go swimmingly... with a lead weight tied to the feet.