Jump to content
nikk whyte

Why having zero new content in Expansions covered by the Conversion Kits is a good thing.

Recommended Posts

11 minutes ago, Da_Brown_Bomber said:

ffg want stores to sell their existing 1.0 stock first. thats likely why no no content is included in expansion packs yet. none gonna buy the older ships if they rereased stuff has new content.

 

ffg doesnt care at all what stores have, because the stores have already paid for it. 

 

i wish literally anyone wold think before they spoke in this thread. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, nikk whyte said:

ffg doesnt care at all what stores have, because the stores have already paid for it. 

 

i wish literally anyone wold think before they spoke in this thread. 

 

so ur local game store loses money. this gives them less funds to buy new products. same old stock sitting on shelves in store isnt good for growing the game. thats not good for anyone. including ffg.

lots of sales about for 1.0 products. sure, stores have already paid ffg for it but to say ffg doesnt care if it actually gets sold on to xwing players is ignoring the bigger picture. ffg needs to attract new players and retain existing players. your local game store needs your financial support.

think about where you buy your xwing products. is it online or from your local game store? if its online then ur not supporting ur local store and u r hurting its revenue. this is bad for everyone, including ffg. assuming u r a competitive player u still need a place to play tournaments. 

Edited by Da_Brown_Bomber

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Da_Brown_Bomber said:

so ur local game store loses money. this gives them less funds to buy new products. same old stock sitting on shelves in store isnt good for growing the game. thats not good for anyone. including ffg.

lots of sales about for 1.0 products. sure, stores have already paid ffg for it but to say ffg doesnt care if it actually gets sold on to xwing players is ignoring the bigger picture. ffg needs to attract new players and retain existing players. your local game store needs your financial support.

think about where you buy your xwing products. is it online or from your local game store? if its online then ur not supporting ur local store and u r hurting its revenue. this is bad for everyone, including ffg. assuming u r a competitive player u still need a place to play tournaments. 

Please dont patronize me about supporting LGS. You missed the point so hard that i'm not going to bother explaining it to you again. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/15/2019 at 12:56 AM, Sciencius said:

Are you sure?

From someone with a background in industrial production, the actual product production cost is usually roughly 1/6th of the sale price (before tax). So, lets just assume for simplicity that the produciton of the plastic-miniature takes up 100% i.e. is that 1/6th, and that card production is 0 (that is not the case in reality). 

In otherwords, would you buy the card-only pack for a single miniature for 5/6th of the price of the box with the mini in it? Only containing e.g. one new upgrade and 2 new pilots? 

Cause if you do not, then FFG would be losing money if they had to sell it to you cheaper, and/or this forum would be filled with angry posters about how greedy FFG are.

Then allright they could produce a "wave-upgrade box" with all the new card-board and pilots in an entire wave, like an extra upgrade kit - with more content we the consumers would be more willing to pay a higher price for that. But should ofcourse only include new pilots and cards for ships that are being re-released in from 1.0 to 2.0 not allready contained in the conversion-kit. Now wave 4, has the biggest number of re-releases so far, that is 5 ships, potentially 10-15 new pilots and configurations/cards and could potentially be a good card pack which people would be happy to buy at a price where FFG would not be losing money. But wave 3 only has 2 re-releases so that would only be 2-5 new pilots and upgrades. Would you pay the same price for a wave-upgrade box for both waves? And what about if you do not care about the other factions and only want scum? or rebel? or empire? are you going to then ***** about not having the other pilots? because you did not buy the other conversionkits? 

There is no way FFG would make any of us happy, and they would also be loosing money (which would kill the game long term) - it is not a win neither for FFG nor us.

What they are going to do, is let us either spend money on the new Clonewars factions, or save money and wait for the inevitable Ace/Veterans/Heros/Most wanted/Guns for hire 2.0 boxes with mini that are going to re-re-release including new configurations, titles and pilots and up-grades. 

I envision a time when FFG releases a new upgrade kit at the start of each Hyperspace season. The kit comes with new pilots and new upgrade cards that will be legal for this Hyperspace season. You are right, it would have to be larger than a handful of cards to justify its existence. It would also definitely need to include new pilots to ensure a wider number of players buy the upgrade kit. I do not believe these would be huge money makers for FFG, rather they would be the easiest way for FFG to alter the meta for a season (above and beyond altering the points costs of cards).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, SlaveUno said:

I envision a time when FFG releases a new upgrade kit at the start of each Hyperspace season. The kit comes with new pilots and new upgrade cards that will be legal for this Hyperspace season. You are right, it would have to be larger than a handful of cards to justify its existence. It would also definitely need to include new pilots to ensure a wider number of players buy the upgrade kit. I do not believe these would be huge money makers for FFG, rather they would be the easiest way for FFG to alter the meta for a season (above and beyond altering the points costs of cards).

I could see something like that as an annual pack.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/15/2019 at 6:39 PM, nikk whyte said:

yeah, why would anyone want to make the newer, weaker factions better! they should only have 3 ships and stay that way forever!

Who said that? Please don´t put words in my mouth.

They could have done both. Pleasing old players and expand the new factions too.

8 months no new ship for Rebels, Empire and First Order just sucks. But maybe thats how the push the sales on the new factions. Because people are so much on withdrawal from their plastic ship addiction that they gladly buy into new factions (because there is nothing else to buy for them). I got nearly weak an invested in these too. Just for the sake of having some new shiny toys. But then I used common sense and just got the fancy clouds from a friend.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, beardxofxdeath said:

Who said that? Please don´t put words in my mouth.

They could have done both. Pleasing old players and expand the new factions too.

8 months no new ship for Rebels, Empire and First Order just sucks. But maybe thats how the push the sales on the new factions. Because people are so much on withdrawal from their plastic ship addiction that they gladly buy into new factions (because there is nothing else to buy for them). I got nearly weak an invested in these too. Just for the sake of having some new shiny toys. But then I used common sense and just got the fancy clouds from a friend.

What new ships do you suggest?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, beardxofxdeath said:

Who said that? Please don´t put words in my mouth.

They could have done both. Pleasing old players and expand the new factions too.

8 months no new ship for Rebels, Empire and First Order just sucks. But maybe thats how the push the sales on the new factions. Because people are so much on withdrawal from their plastic ship addiction that they gladly buy into new factions (because there is nothing else to buy for them). I got nearly weak an invested in these too. Just for the sake of having some new shiny toys. But then I used common sense and just got the fancy clouds from a friend.

No new releases, and yet, the meta has shifted wildly 3 times since this thread died. 

 

Thanks for the necro, I guess 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

The conversion kits have allowed us older 1.0 players to make the jump to 1.0 without investing too much extra cash.

Now to keep us here and keep us contented we will need some new content soon. 

This is why upgrade card packs is imo where they will go. New pilots and new upgrades card packs. These will likely be faction locked but contain generic cards all factions can use. This will let FFG plug up some of the holes from the conversion kits too... generic ship pilots.... moldy crow title not in scum conversion, 0-0-0 crew not in imperials conversion, Hate not in scum conversion, and some others I have missed.

Edited by Da_Brown_Bomber

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Da_Brown_Bomber said:

'fixed' if you need to buy a decimator. broken if u already own one and need to buy another one just to get 0-0-0.

Still, it puts it in Imperial faction.  Since this gives Imperials two options of getting it (buy an Imp ship or convert another faction), I doubt offering a third option will be a high priority.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

This doesn't exactly fit the discussion, but it kind of gets at some of the issues that are being raised here. Should be cued up to the appropriate spot:

For those who can't watch it, here's the transcript:

Q: You guys mentioned the possibility of doing card packs for X-wing, would it be something similar to [Legion] where it's just a bunch of upgrade cards you might not have gotten, or can we expect something like a mini conversion kit of like, "Hey, here are some of the pilots you miss from 1.0," or, "I miss Tycho--"

A [Brooks]: I think I'll just repeat what he said here, it's certainly a possibility and we listen to things that fans want and that have been successful in the past.

A [Alex]: I can say this you will eventually be able to get new pilots for old ships without buying more miniatures.

---------

So we may get upgrade card packs like Legion, but we'll definitely get new pilots for existing ships in their own kit of some kind, or maybe it's a little bit of both. The future is looking bright! Suddenly my sad collection of only 2 named pilots for the A-wing and TIE interceptor has hope for expansion!

Edited by Parakitor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

could we be getting a mini upgrade kit for each faction. eg. rebel upgrade pack which will have new crew, new pilots and new upgrades for a range of ships.

im thinking cardboard and cards but not sure they'll do extra dials. would be interesting if they did individual ship packs.

3-4 new pilots, upgrades and cardboard for one specific ship.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 4/2/2019 at 12:54 PM, Odanan said:

Empire: TIE Brute (not very exciting)

 Rebels: nothing

 

I think these two factions are gonna see their well of canon ships run dry real quick, if they aren't there already.

The Tie Brute has long since missed the window of releasing while Solo was still new, but it was featured in a movie, so it's got a better chance of entering the game than anything else. There are a bunch of old Tie variants from the EU, but opinions on those tend to be mixed. Some are hilarious, some are awesome, and some are both depending on who you ask. Plus there are so many, that I wouldn't even venture a guess on which might be considered for X-wing.

The Rebels though? I just can't think of anything that would be unique at all. There are some famous YT freighters still out there like the Otana, but do they really need a 4th large base ship with turrets? The Raven's Claw(EDIT) just isn't all that exciting, since we already have the Moldy Crow. Mostly what comes to mind for Rebels are ships they stole or scavenged, that of course make more sense on their original faction. There are some old EU ships for them too, but I think FFG already cherry picked the best ones. Not a lot of T-wing fans out there these days.

Me and my fellow Rebels are probably gonna be waiting the longest for new stuff, but I think the Empire will fare a little better in the way of new ships. Their EU designs seem stronger to me than the Rebels. I'm not worried about Scum at all though. They have plenty of options left (they are something of a catch-all faction after all), and I think they're currently the faction with the biggest ship count, so they'll be alright for a bit. 

Edited by Hippie Moosen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hippie Moosen said:

 The Ebon Hawk just isn't all that exciting, since we already have the Moldy Crow. 

I’m not sure how the two are connected. The Ebon Hawk is at least a medium base, likely a large. Plus, with the Republic out, I’d image the Old Republic Ebon Hawk would go to them, if it came at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, SabineKey said:

I’m not sure how the two are connected. The Ebon Hawk is at least a medium base, likely a large. Plus, with the Republic out, I’d image the Old Republic Ebon Hawk would go to them, if it came at all.

I derp'd hard. I got my ships with bird names mixed up. Meant to say Raven's Claw.

There we go, now that's fixed. LOL

Edited by Hippie Moosen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Hippie Moosen said:

I derp'd hard. I got my ships with bird names mixed up. Meant to say Raven's Claw.

There we go, now that's fixed. LOL

Okay. I figured that’s what you meant, but wasn’t sure.

But yeah. While they have enough to distinguish the two from each other, there might not be enough for the Raven’s Claw to really distinguish itself. Especially since it would bring most of the Rebel HWK pilots with it. Hmm. Now, getting a Force User Kyle could be a fun quirk for it. Maybe his apprentices as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...