nikk whyte

Why having zero new content in Expansions covered by the Conversion Kits is a good thing.

46 minutes ago, ScummyRebel said:

You’re reading into it way too much. I know, I was once like you. Then I watched it again when I didn’t like they weren’t coming. 

The exact quote was “there will be ways to get stuff without buying ship expansions” if you need help. 

On 2/9/2019 at 3:28 AM, Taiowaa said:

Hasn't FFG somewhere promised to release packs with the cards but without ships if new content is coming with rereleases? Like the small extra bags in the conversion kits for the TIE/LN, TIE/x1, Y-wing, TIE/vn, Upsilon-class??

They did, but it is looking like they have changed direction and are now not including new pilots in the 2.0 re-released ships.

On 2/9/2019 at 6:31 PM, AgencyBurglar said:

There's a lot of angst and entitlement here.  FFG fails hard at any number of things, but the quality of the models (gyroscopic S-foil B-Wings inbound!!) and the way they've bent over backward to make the move from 1st to 2nd Edition as painless as feasible?  Good job!

First people complained about the cost of the Conversion Kits, even though 1.0 releases + Kits were cheaper than 2.0 releases.  Now it's WHER NU KONTENT GIVE ME or I BOUGHT ONE SHIP Y I NO HAV ALL KARDS.

There are tons of new players, and FFG is doing a reasonably solid job accommodating both long-time customers and people just jumping in.  There are only so many cards that come with a single blister - give them a chance to seed all the content for each faction as 2.0 ships hit rotation.  If you think you have a legitimate complaint, break it down yourself and make a spreadsheet of how you would actually distribute the content.

Let's not forget the days when everybody complained that they didn't have enough shield tokens...

I've not heard that complaint in a while, does everybody have enough shield tokens now?

I'm one of those people who really wanted to see new pilots in the re-releases, but I have to acknowledge that it feels better for the health of the game that there aren't ship expansions contradicting the conversion kit's contents. at least for now anyway. I wouldn't want a pack to come with a ship I already had 4 of, but also has some essential new pilot or upgrade that makes me feel like I need to buy it to be competitive.

I would love to see a greater variety of pilots on platforms like the A or B-wing's, but we don't need them right this moment. The ships function with what they've been given, even if they can't do all the things they could in 1st ed. Looking forward, perhaps we'll see squad packs start to come with alternate paint schemes to the ones in re-release packs and a few new pilots and upgrades. If that were to happen, I would hope there would be a small expansion with just the cardboard that converting players could pick up so they don't have to pay for the models again. 

I'm not very good at predicting things, but I still feel confident that FFG will put out new pilots for our more beloved ships. 4 or less pilots on some really big fan favorites feels like it isn't enough when you look back at what some of them used to have at their disposal. I have no idea how or when they will come, but I'm certain that we'll get more than two named pilots on the A-wings, Tie Interceptors, and a bunch of the others that didn't get the X-wing and Tie/ln treatment. It's just a matter of time.

Good thread, thanks OP.

Edited by Hippie Moosen

On 2/8/2019 at 4:08 PM, theBitterFig said:

The "win" is giving people maximum options.

Like, if every ship in the wave capable of taking a Torpedo has the new Torpedo upgrade, a player who isn't into all the factions can make their own decision.  I want the N-1.  I know someone else wants a flappy-wings B-Wing.  I could care less about a flappy-wings B-Wing.  I'd be p***ed if only way to get the new Autoblaster was the B-Wing, just like it's fair for folks who don't play Resistance to be kinda p***ed that the Resistance Transport is the only option.

It's good that the B-Wing has a copy of Afterburners.  Oh wait... wasn't that also a new content upgrade?

That is not a win, at all, for the consumer. You are still buying ships you do not need or want, they just happen to be in your faction (which, depending on how many of the re-released ship you already own could very well be doubly superfluous, compared to a new ship in a new faction). 

The real win would be for FFG to release a pack of cards that includes all new pilots and upgrade cards that are coming out in the wave.  

1 hour ago, SlaveUno said:

That is not a win, at all, for the consumer. You are still buying ships you do not need or want, they just happen to be in your faction (which, depending on how many of the re-released ship you already own could very well be doubly superfluous, compared to a new ship in a new faction). 

The real win would be for FFG to release a pack of cards that includes all new pilots and upgrade cards that are coming out in the wave.  

Well, sure.  But there's also no real indication that FFG has any interest in ever doing one.

Best case--with what we've seen from them--is that reprint ships still have new generic upgrades.

12 minutes ago, TallGiraffe said:

I want a Wedge in an A-wing and Hera in an X-wing.

It would be a lot of fun to run a Phoenix Squadron build that featured Hera, Wedge, and Sabine all in A-wings. I love thematic builds and all that junk, plus I just love Hera and a bunch of the crew from Rebels. Here's hoping there's still some more stuff from the Rebels cartoon that will make it into X-wing. C'mon B-wing prototype!

Edited by Hippie Moosen

I am still happy with what I got so far with 2.0 . Veteran but casual player since wave III or something, fan of scum since release, always refused to buy stuff because of upgrades rather than the model. I don‘t go to tournaments and for casual matches we use YASB printouts rather than the actual cards.

In 2.0 I really love the fact they separated empire and first order as well as rebels and resistance. Being an old dude Star Wars is episodes IV to VI for me and no mix of stuff. I bought three conversion kits (own a lot of stuff but never more than the kits were able to deal with) and can concentrate on three factions now. Only drawback is the core set which I haven‘t bought. The most player friendly decision would be a decently priced starter box with all the stuff you need to play, all generics and NO ships. And faction based starter packs for all factions like the ones for the clone wars factions now. 

So for it looks like I could skip future waves unless I feel tempted to start a new faction, which is not the case.

12 hours ago, SlaveUno said:

Are you sure?

From someone with a background in industrial production, the actual product production cost is usually roughly 1/6th of the sale price (before tax). So, lets just assume for simplicity that the produciton of the plastic-miniature takes up 100% i.e. is that 1/6th, and that card production is 0 (that is not the case in reality). 

In otherwords, would you buy the card-only pack for a single miniature for 5/6th of the price of the box with the mini in it? Only containing e.g. one new upgrade and 2 new pilots?

Cause if you do not, then FFG would be losing money if they had to sell it to you cheaper, and/or this forum would be filled with angry posters about how greedy FFG are.

Then allright they could produce a "wave-upgrade box" with all the new card-board and pilots in an entire wave, like an extra upgrade kit - with more content we the consumers would be more willing to pay a higher price for that. But should ofcourse only include new pilots and cards for ships that are being re-released in from 1.0 to 2.0 not allready contained in the conversion-kit. Now wave 4, has the biggest number of re-releases so far, that is 5 ships, potentially 10-15 new pilots and configurations/cards and could potentially be a good card pack which people would be happy to buy at a price where FFG would not be losing money. But wave 3 only has 2 re-releases so that would only be 2-5 new pilots and upgrades. Would you pay the same price for a wave-upgrade box for both waves? And what about if you do not care about the other factions and only want scum? or rebel? or empire? are you going to then ***** about not having the other pilots? because you did not buy the other conversionkits? 

There is no way FFG would make any of us happy, and they would also be loosing money (which would kill the game long term) - it is not a win neither for FFG nor us.

What they are going to do, is let us either spend money on the new Clonewars factions, or save money and wait for the inevitable Ace/Veterans/Heros/Most wanted/Guns for hire 2.0 boxes with mini that are going to re-re-release including new configurations, titles and pilots and up-grades. 

Edited by Sciencius

On 2/9/2019 at 3:03 AM, nikk whyte said:

Sounds like you buy a decimator. In faction even! Lucky you. 

Oh please. There is no need to be so condescending.

The Decimator expansion's new content is only covered if you bought the S&V Conversion kit. Which I didn't, being an Imperial player. Scum players who want Moldy Crow or Rebel players wanting Barrage Rockets are in a similar position. Some of us limit our spending for this game, i.e. not buying expensive expansions purely for 1 or 2 cards.

In other circumstances I'd just accept this as FFG wanting to make more money, but my disappointment stems from the fact that they made statements to the effect that we wouldn't have to re-buy old ships or buy out-of-faction to get new cards. That should be understandable.

5 hours ago, Sciencius said:

From someone with a background in industrial production, the actual product production cost is usually roughly 1/6th of the sale price (before tax). So, lets just assume for simplicity that the produciton of the plastic-miniature takes up 100% i.e. is that 1/6th, and that card production is 0 (that is not the case in reality). 

In otherwords, would you buy the card-only pack for a single miniature for 5/6th of the price of the box with the mini in it? Only containing e.g. one new upgrade and 2 new pilots?

Cause if you do not, then FFG would be losing money if they had to sell it to you cheaper, and/or this forum would be filled with angry posters about how greedy FFG are.

I'm sorry, I don't follow.

Let's say a blister is 18$. You say that it's 3$ production for the plastic, with the caveat that cards also have costy

Why does FFG lose money unless they sell the card for 15$? How is it, in your example, not profitable at any price due to 0$ production? Is it the opportunity cost of not buying the mini?

If yes, then I'd say that's a false dichotomy. My alternative to the card-only is not the mini. My actual alternative is not buying anything at all, and maybe losing interest in the game. (Who am I kidding... lol. But for most that's the case)

1 hour ago, Rossetti1828 said:

Oh please. There is no need to be so condescending.

The Decimator expansion's new content is only covered if you bought the S&V Conversion kit. Which I didn't, being an Imperial player. Scum players who want Moldy Crow or Rebel players wanting Barrage Rockets are in a similar position. Some of us limit our spending for this game, i.e. not buying expensive expansions purely for 1 or 2 cards.

In other circumstances I'd just accept this as FFG wanting to make more money, but my disappointment stems from the fact that they made statements to the effect that we wouldn't have to re-buy old ships or buy out-of-faction to get new cards. That should be understandable.

which part of "a card that was previously out of faction is now in faction for cheaper than the conversion kit" dont you understand? 

19 hours ago, SlaveUno said:

you're the head of ffg dev team, you nail the card pack full of new stuff. great job team. 

you now have 10 threads on this forum about how ffg is only catering to veteran players, while also forcing new players to buy a card pack and whole model to be on the same playing field. 

your response? 

Edited by nikk whyte

I would have liked some new pilots. Because I feel for Empire and Rebels we have a long barren run (and even First Order - because in Wave 4 they get nothing NEW like the Resistance - they get the Tie/SF and Tie/Silencer which should have been already made available in Wave 3). But maybe I am just impatient.

Maybe a slower growth is good for the game. But I want a bigger diversity of pilots for established ships. A-Wings, B-Wings, Tie-Interceptor and maybe even a new Tie-Phantom Ace (with PS 5 and a cool non-overpowered ability as an alternative for Whisper).

10 minutes ago, beardxofxdeath said:

I would have liked some new pilots. Because I feel for Empire and Rebels we have a long barren run (and even First Order - because in Wave 4 they get nothing NEW like the Resistance - they get the Tie/SF and Tie/Silencer which should have been already made available in Wave 3). But maybe I am just impatient.

Maybe a slower growth is good for the game. But I want a bigger diversity of pilots for established ships. A-Wings, B-Wings, Tie-Interceptor and maybe even a new Tie-Phantom Ace (with PS 5 and a cool non-overpowered ability as an alternative for Whisper).

everyone would have liked new pilots. Everyone would have complained about FFG forcing them to buy ships they already own for cards.

You know, like how everyone is complaining that FFG is forcing them to buy a ship they already own for cards that weren't previously in faction.

Edited by nikk whyte

21 minutes ago, beardxofxdeath said:

Just to make sure: you do see that the release speed is doubled from 1.0? Only now it's split between re-releases and new stuff, and that new stuff is now split between 7 factions and not just 3. Which means the effective growth per faction has maybe halved, but the overall growth is at least as fast, while the production is doubled.

It just really depends on the point people want to make, but there is always a reading that supports the own point.

1 hour ago, nikk whyte said:

everyone would have liked new pilots. Everyone would have complained about FFG forcing them to buy ships they already own for cards.

You know, like how everyone is complaining that FFG is forcing them to buy a ship they already own for cards that weren't previously in faction.

They could have circumvented that with the card packs. But they choose to minimize new Upgrades and pilots for the sake of the new factions (where at the moment all of the creative work seems to go).

18 minutes ago, beardxofxdeath said:

They could have circumvented that with the card packs. But they choose to minimize new Upgrades and pilots for the sake of the new factions (where at the moment all of the creative work seems to go).

yeah, why would anyone want to make the newer, weaker factions better! they should only have 3 ships and stay that way forever!

I'm really surprised FFG isn't creating the entire lineup of existing ships as expansions in one wave. Encourage retailers to firesale the 1.0 content, push conversation kits to bring it up to spec, and have them replaced their stock with the 2.0 kits. Pushing that inventory would only make it that much easier to entice anyone currently on the fence.

ffg want stores to sell their existing 1.0 stock first. thats likely why no no content is included in expansion packs yet. none gonna buy the older ships if they rereased stuff has new content.

Edited by Da_Brown_Bomber