Jump to content
nikk whyte

Why having zero new content in Expansions covered by the Conversion Kits is a good thing.

Recommended Posts

26 minutes ago, nikk whyte said:

Have some patience. Yes, you were told you wont have to buy out of faction to get cards. If you just wait, you'll see that's still true. 000 and BT-1 were previously only in the scum conversion Kit. Now they are in the Decimator. A card you assumed was only available out of faction yesterday is suddenly 100% in your faction. 

The best news of all is that these ships are very likely to be hyperspace legal soon, which means in about 3 months these things are gonna be EVERYWHERE. Decimators in that small of a meta could suddenly become powerhouse ships. By the time the June points change comes this game wont look ANYTHING like it does right now. its already so different from when it launched 5 months ago. Just let it breathe. 

 

I don’t care that there’s not new content in the rereleases.... per se.

My objection comes from the fact that new factions are seeing new generic upgrade cards, but there’s no way to get access to them without buying a brand new faction. Combine this with we now have two upcoming waves of content showing us that ffg has no plans for new content in old factions and it’s just rereleasing. That tells me not only do you not get access to the cards, you won’t. At least not for several years.

I really don’t care what is or isn’t Hyperspace legal when I don’t play it much. I don’t go to organized events enough to do so, and I’ve been playing extended with a meet up I’ve helped organize.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds great.  Until you get tired of playing the same Imperial list for 5 years straight as 1.0 is re-released into 2.0.

Rebels and Empire are dead in the water right now, at least in terms of new options.

I mean, you could be an Epic player, if you want it to suck more. . . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree and don't agree.

I think it's a good thing that reprint expansions don't have new pilots, new titles, configurations, and so forth.  Things to "make you" buy them to upgrade existing ships directly.  I don't want to have to buy a new B-Wing to make my old B-Wings playable.

//

However, I think some of the general upgrades--the Torpedoes and Sensor upgrades which can go on anyone--should be in there.  B-Wing has Afterburners, that's new content that wasn't in the conversion kits.  Maybe it should have what appears to be Plasma Torpedoes, instead of Advanced Proton.  Maybe it should have what appears to be Autoblaster instead of Heavy Laser Cannon.

I think the general plan should be: if an upgrade can go on any sort of ship, it should come in any sort of expansion.

//

If it's just me, I'd rather buy the new Plasma Torpedoes by getting an N-1 instead of a reprint B-Wing.  But I know there are players who have zero interest in the N-1 or such.  Maybe they only play Rebels, or Scum, or whatever.  The option for general upgrades should be there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, ScummyRebel said:

I don’t care that there’s not new content in the rereleases.... per se.

My objection comes from the fact that new factions are seeing new generic upgrade cards, but there’s no way to get access to them without buying a brand new faction. Combine this with we now have two upcoming waves of content showing us that ffg has no plans for new content in old factions and it’s just rereleasing. That tells me not only do you not get access to the cards, you won’t. At least not for several years.

I really don’t care what is or isn’t Hyperspace legal when I don’t play it much. I don’t go to organized events enough to do so, and I’ve been playing extended with a meet up I’ve helped organize.

Not to downplay that this is still an issue, but they have largely improved over 1st edition. I didn't play scum in 1.0, but I have enough scum ships to justify buying a conversion kit. 

Meanwhile, afterburners in the sf kit and bt1/0-0-0 in the deci shows at least that they're making an effort (low though it may be) to make things accessible in a timely fashion.

Edited by hargleblarg
typo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you put new cards in the re-released kits, then people are going to complain that they are buying a superfluous ship so they can get access to one or two new generic cards. 

There is no winning for FFG here. The best they can do is to stick to their guns and keep the re-released kits free-of-content. If people want a new upgrade cards, they can buy a single off of various auction sites, trade for it or buy the brand new ships. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

cross faction upgrades are a problem when they r only available in one faction. older players like me have plenty of ships but are being selective about where they spend their money for maximum bang for ur bucks. 

the 'long time between drinks' scenario this creates will lead to staleness and boredem for one faction players (scum especially). im willing to wait a while but not too long. dont want to buy into a new faction just yet, ffg got enough of my money in 1.0

Edited by Da_Brown_Bomber

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Darth Meanie said:

Sounds great.  Until you get tired of playing the same Imperial list for 5 years straight as 1.0 is re-released into 2.0.

Rebels and Empire are dead in the water right now, at least in terms of new options.

I mean, you could be an Epic player, if you want it to suck more. . . 

Or they could release an article tomorrow showing a generic upgrade "shipless" upgrade pack coming out in wave 3.

12 minutes ago, ScummyRebel said:

My objection comes from the fact that new factions are seeing new generic upgrade cards, but there’s no way to get access to them without buying a brand new faction. Combine this with we now have two upcoming waves of content showing us that ffg has no plans for new content in old factions and it’s just rereleasing. That tells me not only do you not get access to the cards, you won’t. At least not for several years.

Wild speculation. 

 

It's a business. Hasn't the massive price increase of the game already shown you that FFG is out to make money? FFG wants to sell the two new factions. There will be less demand for them right off the bat if FFG made all the new (generic) content being released available to the current 5 factions at the same time. I currently have no interest in the two new factions but I do want new upgrades...

I for one am glad I don't have to buy yet another YT-1300 to get new upgrades. Hopefully the delay in upgrades is only a wave or a few months.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, SlaveUno said:

If you put new cards in the re-released kits, then people are going to complain that they are buying a superfluous ship so they can get access to one or two new generic cards. 

There is no winning for FFG here. The best they can do is to stick to their guns and keep the re-released kits free-of-content. If people want a new upgrade cards, they can buy a single off of various auction sites, trade for it or buy the brand new ships. 

There is a very simple way for FFG to win here. Put new cards in the re-released ships where appropriate and produce some kind of ship-less upgrade pack.

In the end, if FFG wants to keep their promise and keep everyone happy, while also releasing new pilots for ships that are or should be core to the original factions that need them (The A-wing, TIE Interceptor, and B-wing all come to mind here), they are going to need to release some kind of conversion-kit like thing that has this content. In other words card-packs or upgrade-packs.

People are upset because this is the first time a ship is being re-released where you would expect new pilots or upgrades (Most of the new ships have at least 4 limited pilots and at least 1 generic. The B-wing has only 2 limited pilots and had 4 in 1e). This suggests it may happen with other ships like the A-wing or TIE Interceptor that are in even more need of additional pilots.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Darth Meanie said:

Sounds great.  Until you get tired of playing the same Imperial list for 5 years straight as 1.0 is re-released into 2.0.

Rebels and Empire are dead in the water right now, at least in terms of new options.

I mean, you could be an Epic player, if you want it to suck more. . . 

Point changes? Those mix up lists A LOT. See Rebels and Scum before and after the 28th.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, SlaveUno said:

If you put new cards in the re-released kits, then people are going to complain that they are buying a superfluous ship so they can get access to one or two new generic cards. 

There is no winning for FFG here. The best they can do is to stick to their guns and keep the re-released kits free-of-content. If people want a new upgrade cards, they can buy a single off of various auction sites, trade for it or buy the brand new ships. 

The "win" is giving people maximum options.

Like, if every ship in the wave capable of taking a Torpedo has the new Torpedo upgrade, a player who isn't into all the factions can make their own decision.  I want the N-1.  I know someone else wants a flappy-wings B-Wing.  I could care less about a flappy-wings B-Wing.  I'd be p***ed if only way to get the new Autoblaster was the B-Wing, just like it's fair for folks who don't play Resistance to be kinda p***ed that the Resistance Transport is the only option.

It's good that the B-Wing has a copy of Afterburners.  Oh wait... wasn't that also a new content upgrade?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, player3010587 said:

Point changes? Those mix up lists A LOT. See Rebels and Scum before and after the 28th.

That isn't new options.  That's the same options with new point values, despite the fact that it may change your list.

2 hours ago, Skitchx said:

FFG wants to sell the two new factions. There will be less demand for them right off the bat

Well, that would depend on who you are. 

I will be joining the 2.0 parade because of the new factions.  Others will be buying them because they love the prequels.   Still others to explore the new mechanics of droids and Jedi.

In any event, I doubt demand will be "less."

2 hours ago, Da_Brown_Bomber said:

the 'long time between drinks' scenario this creates will lead to staleness and boredem for one faction players

It really sucked for Epic in 1.0 as well.

Edited by Darth Meanie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, nikk whyte said:

000 and BT-1 were previously only in the scum conversion Kit. Now they are in the Decimator. A card you assumed was only available out of faction yesterday is suddenly 100% in your faction. 

I already bought a 1.0 Decimator and a conversion kit. How do I get my copies of 0-0-0 and BT-1 exactly?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Rossetti1828 said:

I already bought a 1.0 Decimator and a conversion kit. How do I get my copies of 0-0-0 and BT-1 exactly?

wait till double decimators become a thing? 

seriously there r some holes in the you won't need to buy cross faction arrangement.

I have two 0-0-0 but one is an unofficial alt art. ;) courtesy of attending NZ nationals last month.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Darth Meanie said:

Sounds great.  Until you get tired of playing the same Imperial list for 5 years straight as 1.0 is re-released into 2.0.

Rebels and Empire are dead in the water right now, at least in terms of new options.

I mean, you could be an Epic player, if you want it to suck more. . . 

These are strong opinions.  Are they based on your projections, or did you finally decide to try playing a game of X-Wing second edition?   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Old Sarge said:

These are strong opinions.  Are they based on your projections, or did you finally decide to try playing a game of X-Wing second edition?   

Would the "this expac contains all the same materials as the conversion kit" offer me more card options if I had?

Or is there a secret 2.0 handshake I would need to know to get a different, better expac?

Or maybe no new options = no new options = same level of no new interest in 2.0 Empire for me.  Which then actually means I am allowed to have an opinion, since a different choice by FFG could have had an impact on my purchasing choices.

Which lastly means that FFG should be regretting that I have still not been enticed to actually buy a con kit because nothing has changed, and nothing seems likely to change, since 2.0 dropped for the Empire.

Edited by Darth Meanie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How many more waves until the Empire gets anything new?  Sure, I'm glad I don't have to buy another Deci to get a new pilot, but this also means that when the Interceptor gets re-released we'll still only have one pilot for it.  Without new content for the OT factions what do those players have to look forward to?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ScummyRebel said:

Combine this with we now have two upcoming waves of content showing us that ffg has no plans for new content in old factions and it’s just rereleasing. That tells me not only do you not get access to the cards, you won’t. At least not for several years.

3 hours ago, Da_Brown_Bomber said:

the 'long time between drinks' scenario this creates will lead to staleness and boredem for one faction players (scum especially). im willing to wait a while but not too long. dont want to buy into a new faction just yet, ffg got enough of my money in 1.0

Didn't the original factions get, like, twenty ships each when the game released?  It seems to me that the simplest solution to keep the game from getting stale would have been to not release conversion kits in the first place.

3 hours ago, player3010587 said:

Point changes? Those mix up lists A LOT.

Indeed they do!  In the last couple weeks, I played against two Scum lists, and neither had Palob, if you can believe it!

1 hour ago, Rossetti1828 said:

I already bought a 1.0 Decimator and a conversion kit. How do I get my copies of 0-0-0 and BT-1 exactly?

Buy a second Decimator.  FFG promised you wouldn't have to buy out-of-faction, and you don't.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well releasing an "Essentials" Card pack every two waves or something that will contain all the generic upgrades released in the previous expansions I think would make many people happy.

You are only playing one faction, and had all the content through the conversion kits? Now you have all the new stuff as well!

You have bought everything in the new factions anyway? You can still get/share the Card pack for more options/flexibility in your lists!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, C3gorach said:

Well releasing an "Essentials" Card pack every two waves or something that will contain all the generic upgrades released in the previous expansions I think would make many people happy.

You are only playing one faction, and had all the content through the conversion kits? Now you have all the new stuff as well!

You have bought everything in the new factions anyway? You can still get/share the Card pack for more options/flexibility in your lists!

More interested in new A-wing and B-wing pilots. Can we have at least one Initiative 5 pilot?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...