Sign in to follow this  
John Constantine

The Fate of Wilderland

@DurinVoronwe. That strikes me as a little too high in terms of threat generation. Combined with Gandalf, that's 29 starting threat with a guaranteed 3 threat increase at the end of each round. That means (barring card effects that increase or decrease threat) that you will only have 7 rounds to complete most scenarios. Add to the picture that you will only have two heroes, this strikes me as a very hard duo to justify. That could just be me though.

I love the encounter deck mechanic though. I could see increasing his cost by 2 or 3 threat, dropping the automatic threat increase, and adding to his line that at the end of the quest phase if the top card of the encounter deck has a shadow effect, he does not exhaust to defend. I don't know if this would be overpowered or not though.

To cancel when revealed with the Staff would be great, and to combine it with doomed is a clever idea, too. I just feel that 3 is a bit too much, though I understand this more as an emergency.

38 minutes ago, dalestephenson said:

Hall of Beorn has the same images, but appears to have complete text for the partially spoiled cards.  Mithril Shirt is reduce damage by 1, and the Messenger Raven does have 1 willpower.

I believe those might just be educated guesses on his part (subject to change), unless they were spoiled elsewhere that I'm not aware of.

Some weird distribution has just happened again.

The Fate of Wilderland is already on retailer shelves in Quebec in its french version. Funny but still In development on FFG Upcoming website.

https://imaginaire.com/fr/jeux-casse-tetes-et-puzzles/le-seigneur-des-anneaux-le-jeu-de-cartes-le-destin-des-terres-sauvages-paquet-aventure-francais.html?q=le destin des terres sauvages

Starting to wish I had bought french version of game instead of english!!!!

Posted (edited)

My best guess translation:

EVENT    THE RETURN OF THE KING        Cost 1      Leadership  Song     ACTION: Search your deck for a guarded attachment and put it in play. Shuffle your deck

ALLY       LOYAL HOUND     1,2,0,2     Cost 1        Lore   Creature        Cannot have attachments.   RESPONSE: Discard Loyal Hound to cancel up to 2 damge just dealt to a hero you control.

ALLY     MESSENGER RAVEN    1,0,0,1    Cost 1    Leadership  Creature   Cannot attack, defend or have attachments.   RESET ACTION:  Return Messenger Raven to its owner's hand and name a card type. Choose a player to                                                                                                                                                                                            look at the top card of his deck. If that card matches the named type, add it to the owner's hand. If not, discard it.

EVENT    THE GREAT HUNT     Cost 3     Lore           You must spend resources from 3 different heroes' pool to pay for this card.  COMBAT ACTION: Choose and discard a non unique enemy in the staging area.

ALLY     SHERIFF OF BYWATER      1,1,1,2   Cost 2   Tactics       Hobbit, Sheriff        The Sheriff gains +1 Willpower, +1 Attack, +1 Defense as long as you are engaged in combat with an enemy with a higher engagement cost than your threat                                                                                                                                                                      level

EVENT    GWAIHIR'S DEBT       Cost 1    Tactics      You can only play this card if you control an Istari character and another unique character with the Eagle trait.  ACTION: Look for an Eagle or Istari ally in the first 5 cards of your deck and put                                                                                                                                           him in play. Shuffle your deck. At the end of the turn, if this ally is sill in play, return him to your hand.

EVENT    REFORGED     Cost X       Spirit        ACTION: Choose an attachment with a printed cost of X in the discard pile of a player and play this attachment for free. (The chosen attachment can belong to any sphere of influence)

ATTACHMENT    MITHRIL SHIRT    Cost 1   Spirit       Artifact. Object. Armor      Guarded (location)        Attach this card to a hero.   RESPONSE: When attached hero receives any amount of damage, reduce it by 1.

Edited by LordBird
Added corrections from Allonym

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, LordBird said:

My best guess translation:

EVENT    THE RETURN OF THE KING        Cost 1      Leadership  Song     ACTION: Search your deck for a guarded attachment and put it in play. Shuffle your deck

ALLY       LOYAL HOUND     1,2,0,2     Cost 1        Lore   Creature        Cannot have attachments.   RESPONSE: Exhaust Loyal Hound to cancel up to 2 damge just dealt to a hero you control.

ALLY     MESSENGER RAVEN    1,0,0,1    Cost 1    Leadership  Creature   Cannot attack, defend or have attachments.   RESET ACTION:  Return Messenger Raven to its owner's hand and name a card type. Choose a player to                                                                                                                                                                                            look at the top card of his deck. If that card matches the named type, add it to the owner's hand. If not, discard it.

EVENT    THE GREAT HUNT     Cost 3     Lore           You can use resources from 3 different heroes' pool to pay for this card.  COMBAT ACTION: Choose and exhaust a non unique enemy in the staging area.

ALLY     SHERIFF NEAR THE WATER      1,1,1,2   Cost 2   Tactics       Hobbit, Sheriff        The Sheriff gains +1 Willpower, +1 Attack, +1 Defense as long as you are engaged in combat with an enemy with a higher engagement cost than your threat                                                                                                                                                                      level

EVENT    GWAIHIR'S DEBT       Cost 1    Tactics      You can only play this card if you control an Istari character and another unique character with the Eagle trait.  ACTION: Look for an Eagle or Istari ally in the first 5 cards of your deck and put                                                                                                                                           him in play. Shuffle your deck. At the end of the turn, if this ally is sill in play, return him to your hand.

EVENT    REFORGED     Cost X       Spirit        ACTION: Choose an attachment with a printed cost of X in the discard pile of a player and play this attachment for free. (The chosen attachment can belong to any sphere of influence)

ATTACHMENT    MITHRIL SHIRT    Cost 1   Spirit       Artifact. Object. Armor      Guarded (location)        Attach this card to a hero.   RESPONSE: When attached hero receives any amount of damage, reduce it by 1.

I mostly agree, with the following corrections: Loyal Hound must be discarded to prevent damage, not exhausted.

The Great Hunt is instead "You must spend resources from 3 different heroes' pools to pay for this card. COMBAT ACTION: Choose and discard a non-unique enemy from the staging area"

Those are the rules corrections, I think the Shirrif ally is going to be "Shirriff of Bywater".

Edited by Allonym

Posted (edited)

Mithril shirt is really good. No exhaustion, so a hero could take damage from staging, archery and combat and zero it out all in one round.

The other cards look decent and fair. Good synergy with istari. Thanks Lordbird!

Edited by player3351457
Thanks to LordBird deserved

I can't be the only one who's feels that the title The Return of the King on a Thorin themed card, even if it technically fits, is kinda awkward. Still, thanks @LordBird for translating, and these cards all look good, particularly Reforged. Has to be one of my favorite cards in the cycle. All around excellent pack, finally bringing Radagast hero, this is something I had been waiting for for years.

Posted (edited)

Interesting choices with Reforged. I often was considering a deck with Spirit Glorfindel without Lore but was missing Asfaloth in there. Maybe with this card, he can be cheated into play like I used to cheat out of sphere allies with Stand and Fight during the core set years. Elven Spear probably needed to discard it first.

Edited by lleimmoen

Posted (edited)

And thanks, I always forget that, out of excitement from the new content. As often, they saved the best for last in the cycle, it seems. The Raven with Wizzard Pipe is just amazing, and now Radagast will need a smoke just as much as Gandalf. The Shirt is my favourite guarded card also because it produces a location which I never fear as much as enemies. But both Sting and Mithril Shirt are great in that that you know what you are getting. I just wish there was an Eagle or Beorning... hopefully later.

Edited by lleimmoen

Wow, with no offence to the few surviving members, how else if I am myself included, whether the game is dying or not, this community is well dead and buried. I remember days when if the new pack was spoiled there would be maybe five pages of responses within ten hours, now there are five pieces.

Yes forum activity is at an all-time low.

Join the Facebook group to see multiple posts per day, or the Cardboard of the Rings discord server to see a continuous scroll of chatter about this kind of thing.  FFG and BGG forms are pretty quiet these days, there still there is a lot of talk going on about the game. It has just moved to a different place.

10 hours ago, lleimmoen said:

Interesting choices with Reforged. I often was considering a deck with Spirit Glorfindel without Lore but was missing Asfaloth in there. Maybe with this card, he can be cheated into play like I used to cheat out of sphere allies with Stand and Fight during the core set years. Elven Spear probably needed to discard it first.

Spirit glorfindel with asfaltoh without the need to play lore seems really unfair.  You just need to put it into the discard pile which in spirit seems quite easy to accomplish considering eowyn and arwen  abilities plus cards like to the sea, to the sea...

3 minutes ago, Halberto said:

Spirit glorfindel with asfaltoh without the need to play lore seems really unfair.  You just need to put it into the discard pile which in spirit seems quite easy to accomplish considering eowyn and arwen  abilities plus cards like to the sea, to the sea...

You could already use Good Harvest for Lore-less Asfaloth, although Reforged in the setting of Arwen does save you a card.

Reforged is handy for mining decks.  Or with Erestor decks.  Off-sphere attachments are more interesting than off-sphere allies, so in that respect it's more interesting than Stand and Fight.  (Stand and Fight is more useful for reviving dead chacters, of course.)

The Great Hunt is a fairly narrow card, since it only works in the combat stage.  Though it combos well with the events (two in Lore) that prevent an enemy from making engagement checks.  That could come in handy in quests with powerful non-unique, non-immune enemies.

Bywater Sherrif is nice Cotton fodder, he can come in and attack for four.  Not bad for 2 resources.

I like Return of the King and so will TaBilbo.

The rest we've already seen.

43 minutes ago, Halberto said:

True, but really Asfaloth is not as amazing as it once was. Location control has so many options these days. Reforged is just generally an exciting card to see for all kinds of uses.

The Great Hunt seems to be a useful corner case card for some saga quests, where you may well want to discard enemies you are avoiding (any and all mumaks...). A nice addition to mono-Lore encounter control decks, I think.

Gwaihir's Debt is also a nice addition to Eagles decks. Now that Radagast can help play them this is a form of draw to complement The Eagles are Coming! I'm way behind on playing at the moment (still struggling through Roam Across Rhovanion) but this is making me think I need to get a move on!

13 minutes ago, monkeyrama said:

True, but really Asfaloth is not as amazing as it once was. Location control has so many options these days. Reforged is just generally an exciting card to see for all kinds of uses.

The Great Hunt seems to be a useful corner case card for some saga quests, where you may well want to discard enemies you are avoiding (any and all mumaks...). A nice addition to mono-Lore encounter control decks, I think.

Gwaihir's Debt is also a nice addition to Eagles decks. Now that Radagast can help play them this is a form of draw to complement The Eagles are Coming! I'm way behind on playing at the moment (still struggling through Roam Across Rhovanion) but this is making me think I need to get a move on!

True, there are more options now which does make Asfaloth less unique but it is still an amazing card. And really much better (on Glorfindel) than most other location control cards, in most cases in which I run into.

11 minutes ago, dalestephenson said:

With Radagast and Wizard's Pipe, you can put core Gandalf on your deck, pull it out with Gwaihir's Debt, put him in play and get him for the entire round before he returns back to your hand.

Yes, we knew that one already but it is an amazing card, and combo, just as the Raven. The creature deck got real.