Sign in to follow this  
John Constantine

The Fate of Wilderland

Oh i wish Radagast where 3/1/3/4 and had the healer trait, but oh well. Anyhow i feel the staff would be god on the ally.... Gandalf hero word of command and elfstone and Radagast ally and eagels...hummm have to think so many possibities.

12 hours ago, dalestephenson said:

I'm going with reduce damage *to* 1.

I am also of this persuasion. Very powerful against huge single attacks, but not so useful againts repeated small damage.

50 minutes ago, John Constantine said:

Reducing damage to 1 was my first thought, but then I thought it would be too powerful because it would make defending trivial with just a little bit of healing.

Maybe, but wouldn't reducing damage by 1 completely negate archery damage, which is assigned point by point? I think it has to be reduced to 1 to avoid breaking archery (unless, and this is likely, I'm misremembering how archery works). 

2 hours ago, monkeyrama said:

Maybe, but wouldn't reducing damage by 1 completely negate archery damage, which is assigned point by point? I think it has to be reduced to 1 to avoid breaking archery (unless, and this is likely, I'm misremembering how archery works). 

Archery is assigned simultaneously, which means you would not go, "Assign 1 point here; cancel with Mithril Shirt. Assign 1 point here; cancel with Mithril Shirt…" ad nauseum. Instead, you assign it all at once (up to the HP of the character, which is one of the more frequently asked questions that is curiously omitted from the current FAQ), at which point you could then use the Shirt to do whatever it is it's going to do.

I agree that reducing "to 1" would be OP. Even outside of the huge effect on boss fights, you could just throw the shirt on Gloin (or if you don't want to be so greedy, even, say, Galadriel), take 3 undefended attacks of arbitrary strength, then heal the damage with one trigger of Ioreth…? Seems silly.

Edited by sappidus

4 hours ago, sappidus said:

Archery is assigned simultaneously, which means you would not go, "Assign 1 point here; cancel with Mithril Shirt. Assign 1 point here; cancel with Mithril Shirt…" ad nauseum. Instead, you assign it all at once (up to the HP of the character, which is one of the more frequently asked questions that is curiously omitted from the current FAQ), at which point you could then use the Shirt to do whatever it is it's going to do.

I agree that reducing "to 1" would be OP. Even outside of the huge effect on boss fights, you could just throw the shirt on Gloin (or if you don't want to be so greedy, even, say, Galadriel), take 3 undefended attacks of arbitrary strength, then heal the damage with one trigger of Ioreth…? Seems silly.

Thank you! I knew I was making a mistake with that. I retract my earlier disagreement then. :)

Excited about Radagast in this pack. Good to have a reason to revisit eagles and also to try a Radagast and his beasts deck with only him as a hero and many creatures. It may not be good, but it would be fun to have a pack of animals to run around with. 

39 minutes ago, monkeyrama said:

Excited about Radagast in this pack. Good to have a reason to revisit eagles and also to try a Radagast and his beasts deck with only him as a hero and many creatures. It may not be good, but it would be fun to have a pack of animals to run around with. 

I'm excited for him as well but he seems pretty niche. I'm afraid I might get bored of playing him with his Creatures. But I guess he could act as another defender if someone else is using Beregond. The threat cost of 11 seems kind of high for using him only as a defender though, idk.

Edited by stimpaksam

Excited about Radagast, he brings Lore access to an Eagle deck, which buys you card draw and healing. A mono-tactics Eagles deck can stall out if you don't draw your The Eagles Are Coming or if they whiff.  And his staff can ready your stacked-up Eagles of the Misty Mountains or make them easier to play.  Also, returning a creature to the staging area unlocks shenaniganry for Descendant of Thorondor. 

Currently it's hard to imagine him being used much outside of an Eagles deck; the creatures that exist otherwise don't particularly inspire deckbuilding, and the ones included in the pack with him aren't auto-includes in a Radagast deck.  If anything, this is more evidence that there will be another cycle. We seem to get teases of "what's to come" with the final heroes in some cycles, like Dain before the dwarf trait was really developed, or Arwen before Noldor.  New Creature trait incoming?

Also interestingly, Radagast could fit into an Eagles Hirgon deck by allowing you to play two allies per round (with his staff's cost reduction and Hirgon's ability).  However, another way of looking at it is that they clash with each other. If you are not able to play 2 allies every round, your deck will not be running at full efficiency.  Hirgon's timing means that you'll play your ally after Radagast will have quested or not quested.

2 hours ago, GrandSpleen said:

Currently it's hard to imagine him being used much outside of an Eagles deck; the creatures that exist otherwise don't particularly inspire deckbuilding, and the ones included in the pack with him aren't auto-includes in a Radagast deck.  If anything, this is more evidence that there will be another cycle. We seem to get teases of "what's to come" with the final heroes in some cycles, like Dain before the dwarf trait was really developed, or Arwen before Noldor.  New Creature trait incoming?

You're right, I never thought of that. Maybe more cards centered around Istari as well as Creature...

Edited by stimpaksam

I think Radagast has potential outside an Eagles deck.  He has several things going for him:

First, he's got first class defensive potential.  In Lore, home of Burning Brand, only Treebeard is better, and Treebeard can't take restricted attachments.

Second, he doesn't exhaust to quest when a creature is played *and* he's coming in a pack with a 1-cost creature that can freely be returned to your hand.  That creature can't attack or defend, which means it *can* quest and likely has 1 wp.  So once he gets a Raven (and they're not unique) for 1 leadership resource per turn he + Raven can produce 3 willpower for questing and still provide hero defense.  That's on par with Leadership Aragorn.  Oh, and when returning to hand the Raven gives you the same chance as Expert Treasure Hunter for card draw off the top of your deck.

Third, when you get a Wizard Pipe, the Raven gives you *guaranteed* card draw.

Fourth, if you include the staff the Raven is free.  (Though you could use it instead to play the Hound for free, which is a pretty efficient ally at full cost with a useful ability -- you could also use it to ready the hound, or to good effect on enemy in certain quests -- being able to prevent Attercop from ever attacking you in Return to Mirkwood, for instance.)

To get to #4 is a three card combo, but just the Raven/Pipe combo is well worth the one resource per turn, especially since the resource can come from either leadership or Radagast.

17 hours ago, Bullroarer Took said:

I’ll wait to see the decks to be proven wrong.  Mono red eagles (Teowyn/Hirgon/??) is already a reasonable deck.  I’m not sure adding Radagast will make it better.  Especially on the first few turns.

Stereotypical Eagles Deck (Gwaihir edition) uses Mablung -- and doesn't use ally Radagast.  Mablung generates resources for those hungry Eagles, but I'd prefer a 2-cost attachment that decreases cost by *2*, paying for itself on the first turn with anything besides a Vassal.  Plus when not being used it can ready an Eagle, like a stacked-up Eagles of the Misty Mountains.  Then Radagast can quest without exhausting frequently, which Mablung can't do, while being quite as useful as Mablung in the combat phase (since I love hero defense, I quite prefer a 3-def lore defender to Mablung as a Support of the Eagles target).  You have less tactics resource, but you have access to lore -- I think this is a reasonable trade, and the only Eagle-related thing that becomes more expensive is Support, since Radagast can pay for Eagles.  You have access to the Raven/Wizard Pipe combo.  And you have access to Gwaihir's Debt for a full-round Sneak Attack of Gandalf *or* Eagles -- without chance of whiffing, if you have a pipe.

I think that's going to be a step up from mono red eagles, including on the first few turns -- built-in action advantage for Radagast in the first few turns, even if his staff hasn't shown up yet, is going to be most helpful then.

2 hours ago, GrandSpleen said:

Also interestingly, Radagast could fit into an Eagles Hirgon deck by allowing you to play two allies per round (with his staff's cost reduction and Hirgon's ability).  However, another way of looking at it is that they clash with each other. If you are not able to play 2 allies every round, your deck will not be running at full efficiency.  Hirgon's timing means that you'll play your ally after Radagast will have quested or not quested.

That's where the Raven comes in -- by the time you can't put two Eagles in play, you can replay the Raven each turn and possibly get card draw as well.

Oh, I really like hero Radagast. I mostly play saga, and there with four resources and just one Tactics hero, you now only need his Staff to be able to play Eagles of the Mistly Mountains round 1: to have Radast questing and ready. I think that is great, and just one of many scenarios.

I am thinking of putting him together with Theodred and Beorn. 31 is not low but managable and you can pile Lore resources from the start. The new Raven and Hound will help in the deck I feel as well and I am excited if we also get another eagle to go with the great Tactics event.

Edited by lleimmoen

15 hours ago, dalestephenson said:

Stereotypical Eagles Deck (Gwaihir edition) uses Mablung -- and doesn't use ally Radagast.  Mablung generates resources for those hungry Eagles, but I'd prefer a 2-cost attachment that decreases cost by *2*, paying for itself on the first turn with anything besides a Vassal.  Plus when not being used it can ready an Eagle, like a stacked-up Eagles of the Misty Mountains.  Then Radagast can quest without exhausting frequently, which Mablung can't do, while being quite as useful as Mablung in the combat phase (since I love hero defense, I quite prefer a 3-def lore defender to Mablung as a Support of the Eagles target).  You have less tactics resource, but you have access to lore -- I think this is a reasonable trade, and the only Eagle-related thing that becomes more expensive is Support, since Radagast can pay for Eagles.  You have access to the Raven/Wizard Pipe combo.  And you have access to Gwaihir's Debt for a full-round Sneak Attack of Gandalf *or* Eagles -- without chance of whiffing, if you have a pipe.

I think that's going to be a step up from mono red eagles, including on the first few turns -- built-in action advantage for Radagast in the first few turns, even if his staff hasn't shown up yet, is going to be most helpful then.

I am basically with this. I see little reason for not going with Radagast. The Staff is just amazing, and I think people, for some reason, underestimate the value of ‘free’ questing, especially if the combat stats are not bad. Yes, 2 attack is not amazing these days but usable in the beginning and 3 defense (especially in Lore) quite rare. Also, the Staff can do the other two tricks when needed, though the cost reduction seems by far the most valuable.

I have always found Leadership to go great with the Eagles, because of Sneak Attack and A Very Good Tale, but then often were forced to go with two Tactics heroes because of the costs. Radagast feels like solving all these puzzles, he acts like a Tactics hero in terms of resources but a Lore hero in terms of a potential card draw or healing (though the latter might be redundant, or not have enough room for in the deck).

Edited by lleimmoen

Of course it is a fix, it is just a clear disadvantage compared to a Tactics hero. But I personally do not find a space for Support in my Eagles decks. And yes, exacly, the 2 willpower and 2 attack round 1 is very nice for many a quest.

Edited by lleimmoen

19 minutes ago, Ywingscum said:

Loyal Hound is an instant favourite of mine.

Yeah, looks great, and I just dig the damage cancelation, as I dig hero Beorn. But the hound is quite good just for the stats, more so considering Radagast, even more so considering the Staff.

Yes, I forget Support of the Eagles needs a tactics hero.  I love Support of Eagles on a defender, +4 defense with a Winged Guardian out makes it far and away the best attachment -- especially since it's non-unique, non-restricted, and counts for the whole phase.  And it only takes two attachments for Misty to reach +4.  It can get insane.

But as cool as Support would be on Radagast, the Song of Battle requirement hits hard -- he doesn't need tactics for anything besides it, so it's rather like packing Song of Wisdom just so A Burning Brand can be attached.

I also find it so. I usually like to go for songs when I can pack a few advantages together.

By the way, the more I think about the Raven, the more I like it. Beorn, are you sure, it has 1 willpower? I know it makes all the sense since it can only quest... then it is really a great card, I believe, especially, once you get the Pipe.