Sign in to follow this  
John Constantine

The Fate of Wilderland

Excellent.  Excited to see these cards.  I've been skeptical of a hero Radagast, but looking at him, I'm ok with him atm.

I'm very grateful that the creatures they've added to the game so far make thematic sense for decks outside of just a Radagast deck. The hound and the raven make thematic sense in a wide number of decks - hobbits, anyone? Tom cotton plus farmer maggot plus his dogs?

In an Eagles/Radagast deck, Gwaihir's Debt gets you a full round of core Gandalf for 1 tactics resource if he's in your hand -- after which he returns to your hand!  And if Radagast has a Wizard's Pipe, you can put Gandalf back and do it again.

At last we've found a cheap tactics event where original Hama really could break the game...

Speculation on the missing text of Mithril Shirt?

I wrote this morning at BGG in a thread on "Why is there not an Eagles hero":

"With the last unrevealed hero probably Lore, it's not likely that we'll get an Eagle since they're exclusively tactics. I wouldn't mind a Lore Radagast that has some power that synergizes with eagles somehow; even though it's the wrong sphere, Eagles are found outside mono-tactics deck, and a synergistic high-willpower lore hero would make a lovely splash for a double tactics Eagles deck.

Not that I'm expecting a Lore Radagast, either."

I wasn't expecting it, but I got it!  Since my psychic powers were working well for Bilbo and Radagast, maybe my dream about seeing the Blue Wizards in a Rhun cycle will come true also...

25 minutes ago, dalestephenson said:

Speculation on the missing text of Mithril Shirt?

My guess is you'd be able to reduce that damage by 1. Maybe 2.

Edited by stimpaksam

Well, Radagast was expected (at least from me) and while I am dissappointed to not see the Elendilmir, the Mithril Shirt seems rather strong. I do not see any limitations: It is not restricted and has no limit per round or exhaustion requirement, resulting in +1 Defense effectively and protection from direct damage.

Radegast is going to be a great defensive choice in lore. Quest for 2 free and then defend for 3 with burning brand. Add in discounted eagles allies and you have the base for a decent combat deck

17 minutes ago, John Constantine said:

1 sounds too weak for a Guarded item. Like, why even bother. 2 sounds too little to bother for me as well, but that's me.

The going rate for repeatable damage cancellation is 2 cost for one damage cancelled per round. 1 cost for one damage per instance of damage is excellent value, especially in spirit.

Still, at 1 damage reduction, it does become probably the weakest of the guarded attachments. If it's reducing 2 damage, then suddenly it's probably the strongest.

It does protect from direct damage, archery, etcetera -- but the most common use of damage prevention is defense, and getting a *Guarded* attachment for effective +1 defense would be massively underwhelming.  (Though I also found the +1 defense +1 hp Mithril Shirt in Road Darkens underwhelming. Cheaper than Ring Mail and lighter, but not any better?  This is *mithril*)

3 minutes ago, Onidsen said:

The going rate for repeatable damage cancellation is 2 cost for one damage cancelled per round. 1 cost for one damage per instance of damage is excellent value, especially in spirit.

Still, at 1 damage reduction, it does become probably the weakest of the guarded attachments. If it's reducing 2 damage, then suddenly it's probably the strongest.

Being able to reduce *anyone's* damage once per round as Honour Guard does is often more useful than reducing one hero's damage any number of times per round.  At 1 damage reduction I'd say it's easily the weakest, though since it's guarded only by locations that may be expected (though it also makes Tactics Bilbo less useful at getting it...)

13 minutes ago, dalestephenson said:

Being able to reduce *anyone's* damage once per round as Honour Guard does is often more useful than reducing one hero's damage any number of times per round.  At 1 damage reduction I'd say it's easily the weakest, though since it's guarded only by locations that may be expected (though it also makes Tactics Bilbo less useful at getting it...)

I was actually thinking raven - winged helm, although your comment generally gets at why the helm is generally passed over in favor of honour guard

2 hours ago, Bullroarer Took said:

I am glad for news of this last pack, but none of the cards are blowing my mind.  Some of them are good sure, but none of them have me printing up proxies.

I don't know that any of them are future staples, but the spoiled cards and hero just took Eagles deck a *huge* step forward IMO.

I can see some nice combos: Gwaihir's Debt can be used as a more powerful version of Sneak Attack Gandalf in Tactics, as long as you have Radagast with a Wizard Pipe and Gwaihir or one of his brethren out. Radagast can also use the Messenger Raven for action advantage and potential card draw. With his Staff it is for free and with the Wizard Pipe the draw is guaranteed. He is also a decent target for Burning Brand.

6 hours ago, John Constantine said:

1 sounds too weak for a Guarded item. Like, why even bother. 2 sounds too little to bother for me as well, but that's me.

Well theres still a couple of nice things to keep in mind:

--location guard. That means you could potentially discard and clear out a whole host of enemies in an encounter deck filled with nasty enemies.

-- any hero. No restriction on type. The worry was that Mithril Shirt would be limited to hobbits or dwarves. No worries now.

--as others have mentioned, it doesnt appear to have an exhaust mechanism. Meaning any treachery dealing damage should be essentially canceled or at least significantly mitigated. Same archery. It basically gives the hero "toughness" for those familiar with the saga term. Even toughness 1 would be solid on the right hero.

-- on the same vein, shadow damage or card effects such as snow warg fizzle.

Personally love it. Seems to be one of the only guarded cards I would always feel comfortable playing (unless I was already location locked).

7 hours ago, dalestephenson said:

Radagast's staff works extremely well on ally Radagast in mono-tactics Eagles decks.

GREAT call. I am very meh about the hero version now (even though I am proud to have called it), but that staff on the ally is great. Especially since you can send enemies back when needed, not during a specific phase. Technically after the encounter portion but before the combat phase. I imagine you could do well with hero sam or even bilbo, if needed.

4 hours ago, dalestephenson said:

I don't know that any of them are future staples, but the spoiled cards and hero just took Eagles deck a *huge* step forward IMO.

I’ll wait to see the decks to be proven wrong.  Mono red eagles (Teowyn/Hirgon/??) is already a reasonable deck.  I’m not sure adding Radagast will make it better.  Especially on the first few turns.