Sign in to follow this  
Muelmuel

FFG, could we have modular plastic range rulers too please

I bought acrylic ones from overseas.  Really nice ones designed specifically for fighters, and some nice range rulers.

When people are forced to buy from vendors overseas to supplement an item that should be offered by the developer, there's a problem.  FFG should definitely put out a pack of range/movement rulers to fill this gap, and despite already having others, I'd support them by buying a pack.

Less than a month ago, I took my eyes of my range ruler for a few seconds and next thing I know, my 1 year old daughter wants to play Armada. Too bad for she was using the range ruler like the maneuver tool. So I purchased these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DWSYJR6/

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DMUGM24

They look good and work great. The price is a little steep, but I'm satisfied with the quality. I left 5-star reviews for both items. And the measurements are all spot on, or at least close enough based on the image that @Darth Sanguis posted above.

18 minutes ago, thestag said:

Less than a month ago, I took my eyes of my range ruler for a few seconds and next thing I know, my 1 year old daughter wants to play Armada. Too bad for she was using the range ruler like the maneuver tool. So I purchased these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DWSYJR6/

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DMUGM24

They look good and work great. The price is a little steep, but I'm satisfied with the quality. I left 5-star reviews for both items. And the measurements are all spot on, or at least close enough based on the image that @Darth Sanguis posted above.

I used to have a picture showing just how bad some of them were. The store champ set for 2017 was good but the regional ones sucked... 

Litko etc. offers great range rulers. The best are the range rulers broken down into each range so you can get much more exact. 

https://litko.net/products/sw-armada-fire-gauge-1

https://litko.net/products/sw-armada-multi-range-movement-ruler-set-fluorescent-green5

I think where they made the mistake is be not offering the core for $60 at the beginning. You got to learn to take less profits or even break even if you think long-term and want to get enough people as possible interested from the start. Businesses do this all the time. Gas stations don’t make money in the gas, but the stuff inside the store. 

Costco which was analyzed in my class a while back makes their money on memberships concessions and not really much on the goods. 

Fantasy needs to get some MBA/EMBA from top 50 business schools running their marketing department. They need to stop messing up new releases and focus on customer retention. Too many people have gotten burned by them as of late.

Take the Android Netrunner issue. Even if FF was going to make that game break even due to a long-term cost prohibitive lisense from GW, they should have worked it out for at least two more years after releasing the revised core so as not to lose the faith and loyalty of their customers. If you buy anything from FF these days, you are taking a risk of your buying decision hinges on new content (Armada & Destiny is where they got me good). That was the single dumbest thing I have seen FF do yet.

Smart marking deptments who are customer centric would have even gone so far as to give GW all the net profits of the game for two years just to maintain customer loyalty. The deal should have been structured over the entire term in case the profits of the second year could put FF negative over the full course of the contract. In other words, the profits could have been kept in an escrow designed to even yield GW interest while it remained there over the full two years. 

FF’s greed is something that knows no bounds and they keep shooting themselves in the foot. How those idiots didn’t think to wrapped up the licensing agreement  before even putting in the effort and customers jump in, or many jumping back in, would have been a business 101 idea. You always lock things in place from a place of weaken than strength. FF wanted to have their cake and eat it too. However, when GW saw how successful the new launch was they finally found a way to stick it to them for legion, etc. What a bunch of University of Phoenix, community college, bumble...

I just printed out one of the good ones people around here made, that had multiple segments, like just range one, range one+range two, etc.  I used adhesive paper, and mounted them on sheet plastic.

Edited by AegisGrimm

7 hours ago, kmanweiss said:

I bought acrylic ones from overseas.  Really nice ones designed specifically for fighters, and some nice range rulers.

When people are forced to buy from vendors overseas to supplement an item that should be offered by the developer, there's a problem.  FFG should definitely put out a pack of range/movement rulers to fill this gap, and despite already having others, I'd support them by buying a pack.

Same here. I bought some acrylics too and DIY'd a close range and distance 1 onto some balsawood, but I would still gladly buy up an official FFG-made modular range rulers upgrade set. :)

Edited by Muelmuel

But if they made official plastic range rulers they might have to decide, officially, how long the distances and ranges should be!

That would take away all the fun and excitement of playing a game and finding out that your rulers are slightly different to your opponents, and the surprise extra shots (or not) you take as a result.

11 hours ago, MandalorianMoose said:

http://www.recreatorstudios.com/collections/1105794-armada-compatible

This is my friends business, she makes great products and is good people! 

Can confirm phenomenal and good service, the shield dials are phenomenal, but that ship marker multitool is probably the best thing i could ever own.

55 minutes ago, geek19 said:

ship marker multitool

Can you tell me what do you use that for?  One side is distance1 but what do you use it for when inserting into a ship base?

If they're not gonna make new ships for Armada, and they're not gonna keep fundamental old products in stock, they sure as heck aren't going to make niche luxury upgrades for the game, either.

The best bet is to go to an Etsy shop or other online vendor that makes 3rd Party acrylic rulers for Armada and just get those.  They cost about the same as such a plastic pack would, and the acrylic will hold up much better over time (and generally will probably look better to most folks' aesthetic preferences as well).

Edited by AllWingsStandyingBy

2 hours ago, LostFleet said:

Can you tell me what do you use that for?  One side is distance1 but what do you use it for when inserting into a ship base?

Marking the position of a ship when one has to remove it to maneuver other ships and the movement tool clashes with said ship. Same for the curved edge of this multitool, is for marking the position of a squadron(that 1 squadron that you are not quite sure you would overlap after determining final position of a maneuver)

1 hour ago, Muelmuel said:

Marking the position of a ship when one has to remove it to maneuver other ships and the movement tool clashes with said ship. Same for the curved edge of this multitool, is for marking the position of a squadron(that 1 squadron that you are not quite sure you would overlap after determining final position of a maneuver)

Yup that.

8 hours ago, geek19 said:

Can confirm phenomenal and good service, the shield dials are phenomenal, but that ship marker multitool is probably the best thing i could ever own.

Same. I ordered the segmented range rulers a while back. They're fantastic. I'm thinking about replacing my own shield dials if they ever come back in stock.