Cloaker

Fugly, the New Templates Are.

Glad they put them out for players who need them, but boy how they got away from the 2.0 art theme of the thin, less is more style. They'll look cool being used for huge ships though. The texturing is a great idea to avoid slippage and help peeps with contact area. Would like to see them go acrylic versions of core set. They'll get painted well I bet though by peeps who have the talent.

Edited by Cloaker

Fugly? Understatement. The multi-segmented range "template" has me curious how many complaints are going to be popping up about them not slotting together easily enough. That's on top of the "Judges calls" to confirm the sockets hadn't been packed too add a mm or 2 to the length of it.

While I'm not giving up my eclectic template set anytime soon, I am really excited to see what some of our painting community will do with a squadron now that you can match everything on the tables!  Also, that's a ton of plastic for the price of a ship.  It will be an easy upgrade for anyone that doesn't already have a set.

6 minutes ago, Hiemfire said:

Fugly? Understatement. The multi-segmented range "template" has me curious how many complaints are going to be popping up about them not slotting together easily enough. That's on top of the "Judges calls" to confirm the sockets hadn't been packed too add a mm or 2 to the length of it.

Packing aside, it looks identical to the range tools from Legion.  If they're not having too much difficulty with that, this probably won't either.  Maybe.

And if you can't get it in right, take a file to the offending male section and make it thinner.  (The term is for adapters and plugs in the electric-musical world.)

Edited by Duciris

I have to applaud them for honoring the general request for upgrades on what came with the core set. I'm curious how they ended up going this route though. Maybe just to keep a look across the various Star Wars lines with movement templates? 

I do not find myself enthusiastic about these. 

2 minutes ago, dewbie420 said:

Just put a coat of pretty-paint on 'em so your eyes won't hurt.

Meanwhile...

THANK YOU FGG!

...for helping out folks with difficulty handling the standard templates. I've been battling "health issues" with my hands for many years and it looks like these will help out.

And that would be the information I was missing or not seeing. Those will be easier to pick up from the table. 🍻

8 minutes ago, dewbie420 said:

Meanwhile...

THANK YOU FGG!

...for helping out folks with difficulty handling the standard templates. I've been battling "health issues" with my hands for many years and it looks like these will help out.

Aesthetics aside, this is great to hear. Anything making x-wing, or board games in general for that matter, more accessible is a win for me. I’ve faced players who have had difficulty with the standard templates so I can see this design as a game changer for them.

Edited by kempokid

25 minutes ago, dewbie420 said:

Meanwhile...

THANK YOU FGG!

It is the positive of the design. Another possible positive is that there does not seem to be much wiggle room between the nubs for the maneuver templates. Less drift from that wiggle during normal play, something people who play tight formation swarms might appreciate. Still fugly though.

1 hour ago, theBitterFig said:

They're not necessarily my style, but I think it'd be interesting to see a full set of them painted.  The texture looks really bland as is, but when washed and drybrushed, seems like the things could pop a lot more.

And if you match the paint scheme to one on some dial upgrades... 

The pictures don't seem very flattering. They may be better "in person." 

12 minutes ago, JJ48 said:

I'll probably pick up a set.  Having non-cardboard templates would be pretty nice.

I might. Going to have to get some paint too though, I may be utilitarian in my aesthetic leanings, but these look really bad to me.

4 minutes ago, mazz0 said:

Mine will be painted Republic colours.  With many, many layers of paint and varnish, maw ha ha ha haaaa!

I'd love to see that! I'm toying around with the idea of a Stormtrooper look. That would be pretty sharp.

4 minutes ago, Parakitor said:

I'd love to see that! I'm toying around with the idea of a Stormtrooper look. That would be pretty sharp.

I wouldn't. @mazz0 's implying, jokingly I believe, that he intends to change the dimensions of the templates to gain an edge in the game.

Edited by Hiemfire

35 minutes ago, Hiemfire said:

I wouldn't. @mazz0 's implying, jokingly I believe, that he intends to change the dimensions of the templates to gain an edge in the game.

I suspect it'll take quite a lot of paint for it to make a measurable difference though.  Suppose that means GW will be getting some of my money.  Nice that it gets spread around!

I'm kinda excited for these, they seem like the one 2.0 product with really good value and I don't have proper (as in non-cardboard) templates with middlelines, yet. The being thicc is also going to make alligning barrel-rolls a lot easier. I have been known to have a soft spot for ugly things like B-Wings, Punishers, K-Wings and their likes, though.

15 hours ago, kempokid said:

Aesthetics aside, this is great to hear. Anything making x-wing, or board games in general for that matter, more accessible is a win for me. I’ve faced players who have had difficulty with the standard templates so I can see this design as a game changer for them.

This.

My FLGS gave away some 1 straight "Bomb" maneuver templates with a small vertical tab to allow it to be placed and removed easier.

Do any of the third party template manufacturers do this for all the templates?  Seems like a quick win / missed opportunity if not!