SpiderMana

Wave 4 Announcement

Looks like I'm just getting Resistance and Republic stuff next wave. I might get one of those B-wings for the model, but other than that I don't see a reason to spend my money on it. I already have two after all. Gonna want a few of the N-1's, and one of the transports. Can't wait to get into the republic

30 minutes ago, GuacCousteau said:

The more I look at the new content in this wave, the more ridiculous it gets. 

We have a new torpedo, new sensor and new cannon. All things the B-Wing can use. And yet, despite appearing in the same wave, the B-Wing itself doesn't have any of them. 

I really don't want to be one of those people who gets all up in arms about "waaahhh FFG promised us we wouldn't have to buy outside our faction" because I never expected upgrades to be cross faction if they couldn't be used by another ship in the same wave. But come on! It's like they're deliberately and brazenly doing the opposite of what they said would happen.

Yeah, I used to be one of the “oh grow up guys they’re trying”..... but no, they really aren’t.

I mean, I like that the new models of old ships don’t have any new content because then I don’t need to rebuy models. But I’m not thrilled with the idea that cross faction upgrades are turning up in only the new ships and there’s no way to backport them.

Just now, ScummyRebel said:

Yeah, I used to be one of the “oh grow up guys they’re trying”..... but no, they really aren’t.

I mean, I like that the new models of old ships don’t have any new content because then I don’t need to rebuy models. But I’m not thrilled with the idea that cross faction upgrades are turning up in only the new ships and there’s no way to backport them.

I mean, while I'd prefer to buy an N-1 than another B-Wing I already have and rarely fly, my preference isn't everyone else's.  Probably a fair amount of these upgrades should have been in B-Wings (Cannon, Torpedo, Sensor) and Silencers (Torpedo) and SFs (Sensor) and such.

As an Imperial player not only is this update unexciting, but it's actually reduced my excitement for future announcements.  No new pilots for re-released ships means that there is no reason to expect any new pilots for any of our craft that are sorely lacking in pilots.  The lack of new upgrades also means that we're not even getting a new way to field our existing ships.  For Imperial players we are four waves in and have gained nothing of use.

So, of this wave I'm getting: Resistance Transport, 1 B-Wing (that model!), two N-1s and two Hyenas.

I definitely think we'll get Rebel and Imperial upgrade packs at some point. Call them reinforcement packs with new pilots and upgrades for both factions in their respective packs. There's just TOO MUCH going on with the B-Wing to not have some kind of configuration card to utilize any of those mechanics.

5 minutes ago, HolySorcerer said:

As an Imperial player not only is this update unexciting, but it's actually reduced my excitement for future announcements.  No new pilots for re-released ships means that there is no reason to expect any new pilots for any of our craft that are sorely lacking in pilots.  The lack of new upgrades also means that we're not even getting a new way to field our existing ships.  For Imperial players we are four waves in and have gained nothing of use.

All agreed.

Unless they offer a way to backfill generic/crossfaction cards and mechanics into the old, I might have a “complete” collection. Everything in my factions of choice I possess through wave 2, and waves 3-4 both offer nothing new for them.

Still having fun with what I have now, but won’t like being power and mechanic creeped out if it happens.

1 hour ago, Da_Brown_Bomber said:

agree! ffg missed an opportunity to create faction specific templates. colors and symbols for each faction. 

I think a set for every faction is a big ask. Something with a bit more "zoom" to it might be okay. I suspect though with a bit of paint you can get some more aesthetically pleasing visuals going on with them.

And as pointed out in another thread they appear to be easier to pick up than the standard or other acrylic versions for folks who have difficulties like that. And it is good that they have made an effort to supply something of this nature at all.  

9 minutes ago, RookiePilot said:

I’m actually most encouraged by the Deluxe Template Kit.  The Range Ruler comes with a base piece and four (!) extentions...  Epic!

🤨 So stage one of converting Epic is the range ruler from the template set? I wonder how they're going to handle maneuvers.

20 minutes ago, ScummyRebel said:

^This. nothing to see here for scum plyrs. Move along...

I am confused about the silencer, and how they can come out with a smaller based ship that will be that much easier to fly.  What am i supposed to do with my larger 1.0 silencer that was converted using the conversion kit?

2 hours ago, SpiderMana said:

Hyena has a new bomb token, I see Barrage rockets (Wait...Calculate?) and TrajSim, and they have their own unique struts config looks like.

Got me chuckling when I saw it. The SA's Afterburners on Fangs I think. It is going to be pretty interesting seeing if they set up someway for it to get focus tokens.

18 minutes ago, HolySorcerer said:

>:/

I contest this, your TIE/LNs are just fine, they're just not six different kinds of broken. Vader seriously is not awful, TIE Strikers are tricky but good, but TIE Reapers are especially not garbage.

3 minutes ago, Frimmel said:

I think a set for every faction is a big ask. Something with a bit more "zoom" to it might be okay. I suspect though with a bit of paint you can get some more aesthetically pleasing visuals going on with them.

And as pointed out in another thread they appear to be easier to pick up than the standard or other acrylic versions for folks who have difficulties like that. And it is good that they have made an effort to supply something of this nature at all.  

if you are happy then ok but these r not worth buying for existing players who likely already have a set of acrylic templates. third party companies r breathing a sigh if relief because what they r offering is simply better... you think its a big ask for ffg to produce theme based templates? they could do it and it would scarcely put a dent in their sizeable bank account. recall the official coloured bases and official mvmnt dial cases? would also reduce the amount of mixing up of templates that happens in games. cmon ffg pick up your game.

2 hours ago, dadocollin said:

And who would have predicted that resistance transport???

Everybody. Resistance had very few ships and this was really the only option left.

Who could have predicted the price point for it? What does it think it is, a 1.0 Silencer?

Edited by Skitchx

I think it's a very good sign that the new waves come with few new cards, and many of those faction-locked. There are so many new combinations coming out with every wave, so much to wade through, the danger of reducing everything to a few viable builds by getting out "too good" cards (hello, Harpoon Missiles) is just too strong.

11 minutes ago, Hiemfire said:

Got me chuckling when I saw it. The SA's Afterburners on Fangs I think. It is going to be pretty interesting seeing if they set up someway for it to get focus tokens.

I doubt access to focus. Maybe that new Tac Relay with Super Battle Droids in the art will allow Calculate to count for purposes of firing focus-required-ordnance?