Sign in to follow this  
AkodoAoki

Dueling Question?

1 minute ago, gareth_lazelle said:

Well sure, but not every character has a big earth ring,

If you started with a high earth then sure, you'd have all the more incentive to do exactly that,

It isn't just duelists that get into duels,

And duels aren't just there for duelists,

And not all duels begin with sheathed weapons (see also duels during skirmishes and mass battles for example),

But sure, if you regularly duel in a formal setting, then investing in one or the other iaijutsu kata is pretty much a no-brainer, I'll grant you that happily,

All of your points on Center are correct, I think,

My point was that center is not usually about winning the duel, it's about supercharging a single action, and consequently it is as powerful as that action is, perhaps more useful for Taryu-Jiai duels, because invocations have a lot of powerful opportunities, or for finishing blows if you want to leave a foe crippled.

obviously, we are talking about "optimal" strategy; which is, if you want to be THE best first strike/blood duellist to have a huge earth ring and an Iai kata.
a player with this is the best duellist he can be for first strike/blood duels.
I just find it a bit... boring ? I prefered if every duellist (ring) had a chance. hence why I houseruled it.

Just now, gareth_lazelle said:

Even that presumes no other knowledge - if I know your ring scores I can make better odds than that (or accept the risk of you attacking with a weak ring),

Not true,

Earth just prevents criticals from opportunities,

The crit from Finishing blow (for example) is not an opportunity - earth cannot prevent it,

finishing blow is another story altogether!

but since i have a big earth, i'm more like to have more composure (or at least as much as you).
are you willing to risk not being in earth yourself, to put strife on me or heal strife from yourself ? risking of me doing a critical strike on you and winning ?

your best bet is to hit me and lower my endurance, which I also have a decent score, because, earth.

and again, if you are not in earth stance yourself, you always risk the auto-lose from a crit.

3 minutes ago, gareth_lazelle said:

I can't really argue with that,

lol, @Franwax told you you were risking "summoning" me with a question about duelling!

anyway, good gaming! l5r is really fun however you personally enjoy to play it!

8 hours ago, gareth_lazelle said:

Maybe I pick water and strike/predict, 

Also note that Predict is an attack and scheme action, so even as your bonus action in Water stance, there isn’t much you can do... certainly not strike. 

7 hours ago, gareth_lazelle said:

Yeah, but he warned me after the fact ;)

Hehe sorry. The ritual had been performed ! But @Avatar111, I did PREDICT your reaction, right? :D Ok it was not that hard. 

Minor addendum to this topic,

I note on page 261 that a duel does not end immediately upon completion of objectives, instead it ends at the end of a combat round,

Not a big deal for duels to the death, as the foe won't be doing anything after that...

But for duels to first blood or first strike this might be a big deal - if you leave yourself open in order to get that critical hit in, it can result in you getting critted and then losing on the scoring (albeit you should have a 3 pt advantage there for getting the first crit in, so your opponent does face an uphill battle),

Not sure ATM quite how much impact this will have on the discussion above, but it may well influence dueling strategy,

16 minutes ago, gareth_lazelle said:

But for duels to first blood or first strike this might be a big deal - if you leave yourself open in order to get that critical hit in, it can result in you getting critted and then losing on the scoring (albeit you should have a 3 pt advantage there for getting the first crit in, so your opponent does face an uphill battle),

While we're dealing with the devilish details: if you get a winning crit in during a first blood duel you inflict the Bleeding condition; bleeding can lead to fatigue. Does fatigue caused by bleeding count as inflicted by the enemy duelist, and thus add to the score in a duel? 

I think we had another thread on that too, specifically on duels to the death, because ACTUALLY... the victory condition is to inflict Dying on the target, not to kill them outright. There can be borderline cases where receiving a severity 12 crit gives you Severely Wounded in one ring, bleeding and Dying (3 rounds), but otherwise leaves you functional - especially if you switch to another Stance on your next turn... another can of worms. 

1 hour ago, nameless ronin said:

While we're dealing with the devilish details: if you get a winning crit in during a first blood duel you inflict the Bleeding condition; bleeding can lead to fatigue. Does fatigue caused by bleeding count as inflicted by the enemy duelist, and thus add to the score in a duel? 

I would have said so - after all, what are the judges assessing when they award points for fatigue?

It has to be how exhausted the combatant is,

And fatigue caused by blood loss clearly is going to be a part of that,

22 hours ago, gareth_lazelle said:

I would have said so - after all, what are the judges assessing when they award points for fatigue?

It has to be how exhausted the combatant is,

And fatigue caused by blood loss clearly is going to be a part of that,

Definitely. Besides which, if you're going to be persnickety, the table says "inflicted fatigue on the enemy" it doesn't actually say "you inflicted fatigue on the enemy".

Someone being incapacitated by blood loss is clearly you winning, so logically it should count for you.

22 hours ago, Franwax said:

I think we had another thread on that too, specifically on duels to the death, because ACTUALLY... the victory condition is to inflict Dying on the target, not to kill them outright.

Correct.

If you inflict the Dying condition, then you get 6 points for achieving your objective plus (presumably) 12 points for the critical strike which inflicted the condition. 

There's a seperate line item of 14 points if they actually die

Obviously that's probably irrelevant for figuring out "who won", since if they be dead and you aren't, provided you haven't cheated you kind of win by default, but it should presumably be enough to lift you into the 'No Contest' results band where you get +5 Glory, even if you've taken a shedload of fatigue and non-fatal criticals that would otherwise square up the points.