Sign in to follow this  
Matrim

RPG Playmat

8 hours ago, Matrim said:

On the main site at https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2019/2/7/prepare-for-the-journey/

Interesting. Lovely art. I might purchase just for that. Not sure about the play aids but the visual initiative tracker is useful.

My only concern would be the placement as if you are using a GM screen you are either going to obscure either your view of it as the GM or the players if you have it behind your screen. 

I also wish it had a grid on it and they had included a range band ruler on the sides to make using it for tactical skirmishes a little easier

Ok, the playmat looks very nice, yes,  but on the other hand is this really what the gamers need right now!?

The last announcement for the upcoming two books were in November last year. It seems that the release schedule is rather slow at the moment and future announcements should really speed up a little bit in regard of supplements this new edition still needs. I was somewhat dissapointed assuming that the next announcement is likely to be expected in one or two months again.

What do you think?   

1 hour ago, Grimbeard said:

What do you think?   

I do not need a playmat. This is just a quick thing they put together in a day by the graphic designer for a quick buck.

I'd pay for an adversary deck though.

I'd also pay for a well done errata and clarification on the rules too.

I'd pay for any other written material too.

Or if the playmat was also a map? But I can see why they wouldn't want to do that...

Edited by Avatar111

Yeah not to be too disparaging but the playmat is kind of... lame.

Like maybe if it had some quick references for players or something at all useful than looking pretty maybe I'd consider it, but that mat is a hard pass for me.

8 hours ago, Grimbeard said:

What do you think? 

A sourcebook came out, the next one was announced. This is a pretty good clip for RPGs. Genesys (which is all original IPs so far) was released back in 2017, it took several months to announce Realms of Terrinoth (which doubles as their general fantasy sourcebook since Genesys is generic) and their second sourcebook based on Android literally just came out, and they have not announced what the next title will be. For L5R the core was released in October last year, Emerald Empire came out in December, and I presume based on this rate, Shadowlands won't be too far off, though FFG does not always nail down release windows (probably because of the international shipping). SWRPG only seems like a fast mover because of the 3 gamelines, now those have all their career splats out of the way announcements have really slowed down. 

17 hours ago, Avatar111 said:

I do not need a playmat. This is just a quick thing they put together in a day by the graphic designer for a quick buck.

On this, we agree.  It's not even well designed - only one ring rosette, rather than 1 per seat (noting that the number of seats is implied by the number of VP spaces).

2 minutes ago, Tonbo Karasu said:

For Void, I've been collecting people's spare Void rings from the LCG.

Yeah, I've been using red (fatigue), blue (strife) and black (void) poker chips, but it'd be nice to have something with a little more flavour,