Brygun

Do I need it?

Simple question. Do I need it?

Been playing in basement with friends for years, never been in a tournament. 

Wouldn't even know how to go about it ha ha...

But we've collectively put together an impressive collection.

I don't think I really care what's in the conversion kit, I just want to know why I need it.

Does it make x-wing funner? Or what?

Could someone explain it to me, like I'm four, why I need to purchase conversion? 

Thanks. Sorry if I didn't dig around in forum enough to answer this simple question.

If all you want to do is play in your basement with the ships you have, no you don't need it. You can play first edition just fine.

If you ever want a new ship or want to play with people that have started playing since Second Edition came out, then it would be useful.  Because Second Edition is all that is being put out by FFG now. So if you ever see a new ship you want, it won't work with your First Edition collection. It's part of a new game. So if you plan on expanding your collection then you pretty much need the conversion kits.

The conversion kits make your ships (Dials, Cards, Baseplates) usable in Second Edition, which has slightly tweaked rules and make the game focus more on movement than card combos.

Is it more fun? Yes.   

I can't think of anybody I know that doesn't prefer Second Edition and find it more enjoyable. I say this as someone who loved First Edition and wasn't bothered by the problems most people complained about.

So...

If you are fine playing forever with the collection you currently have. No, you don't need any conversion kits.

If you want to expand your collection as new ships are put out, Yes, you'll need conversion kits.

14 hours ago, Brygun said:

This isn't an answer to whether you need it, but I think it's more fun.

I think various things are a lot more fair, with less easy action economy and passive dice modification.  So it's easier for a bad position to be punished: they don't get stacks of tokens and rerolls for just existing.  It's a lot harder to load up combos of powerful upgrades, and then ignore the gamestate.

Most small or medium ships have access to some sort of movement action now (even if sometimes they gain stress from these boosts and barrel rolls), and you can't just slap an Engine Upgrade on any Large-Base ship to give them a busted-strong boost action.

Turret ships are pretty changed.  A player now has to make a choice, which of the 4 sides of a ship they want to use.  This makes counterplay possible, but also rewards thinking ahead and good decision making.

That's kind of a recurring theme.  A lot less stuff is automatic, but you can often get powerful results if you guess right on what your opponents are going to do, or so forth.  Everything feels more active than 1e.  It takes more work, but that makes it feel more rewarding.

IMHO, 2nd Edition is better.  That said, a lot of this is that I've tended to play in a more competitive style.  Maybe these things weren't issues in your basement, great.

15 hours ago, Brygun said:

I don't think I really care what's in the conversion kit, I just want to know why I need it.

Could someone explain it to me, like I'm four, why I need to purchase conversion? 

Thanks. Sorry if I didn't dig around in forum enough to answer this simple question.

Like you're a child. 

FFG no longer manufactures X-wing 1st Edition. 

They now make X-wing 2nd Edition. 

If you would like to use the models you already own (the ship, pegs, plastic base) in 2nd Edition games of X-wing, you will need conversion kits and a 2nd Ed. core set. 

The purpose of conversion kits is to allow use of already owned models from 1st Edition in 2nd Edition.

Saw's Renegades and the TIE Reaper were the last 1st Ed. expansions. They contain material that will allow the expansions to be used in 2nd Edition. 

2nd Edition will have/has more factions than 1st Ed. First Order and Resistance have been broken away from Rebellion and Empire. 

2nd Edition will soon be adding the Galactic Republic and Separtists factions. These factions will not be backwards compatible with 1st Edition unless you create your own house rules for such use. 

You do not need a conversion kit if you want to keep playing 1st Edition. 

Whether you will find 2nd Ed. to be more fun than 1st Ed. is something I can not answer. I am personally enjoying 2nd Ed. and am excited for the prequels era related expansions. 

See the FAQ here: https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/products/x-wing-second-edition/ for more information.  There are also more than two threads addressing this question. They can be difficult to find because of sub-optimum thread titles that don't necessarily clue folks in to what the thread is about. 

16 hours ago, Brygun said:

110% NO.

Still having a blast with 1.0, and I am not dropping wads of cash to "upgrade."  And, just like you, I will never go to a tournament, don't see the value of the kits, and am fine to go on without them.

If you are like me, and didn't play the broken elements of 1.0, the answer is probably "no, it's not funner."

In a lot of ways, 2.0 is a smaller game with less options than you previously had in terms of ordnance, upgrades, and pilot counts for certain ships.

Still, I haven't played 2.0 yet, so I really can't answer that question.  OTOH, I did get a 2.0 Core Set before I decided not to convert, and I will admit the Crit Deck is pretty cool.

Even in 2.0, Rebels, Empire and Scum are pretty much dead in the water because FFG is too busy with Resistance and FO (which you can still play) plus  Republic and Confederacy.

Personally, I am "not converting, but continuing."  I'll play Republic as 2.0, but stick with 1.0 for Empire.  Best of both worlds, as it were.

24 minutes ago, Darth Meanie said:

Even in 2.0, Rebels, Empire and Scum are pretty much dead in the water because FFG is too busy with Resistance and FO (which you can still play) plus  Republic and Confederacy.

And this is probably where most of my salt comes from.

Today, as in what’s released right now, I’m having a ton of fun in 2.0. I happen to prefer the game format over 1.0, even casually (though I concede it’s not necessary if you play 1.0 at home with friends).

In several months time? That’s where I’m less certain. 

16 minutes ago, ScummyRebel said:

In several months time? That’s where I’m less certain. 

What do you mean by this?  Will you be less satisfied later?

For me, I'm hoping that the game will be back where I liked it in 3-4 years--plenty of options for pilots, ships, missiles, torps, etc.  I have the most fun playing at Tier 2--lots of less-than-perfect elements to story-build around.

I'm just "worried" that by then conversion will no longer be an option, and when I would find it worth doing 2.0 Empire I'll be trapped in 1.0 without rebuying everything.

12 minutes ago, Darth Meanie said:

What do you mean by this?  Will you be less satisfied later?

As someone who primarily plays at FLGS, I’m mindful about the risk of power creep. Specifically in the form of cross faction upgrades that are only going to be available in new factions because the old factions are just receiving rereleases with conversion content within.

So I am concerned about being behind the curve in that sense. I don’t need bleeding edge meta - never been me. But I do need a fighting chance.

@OP since it's already been answered what "upgrading" to 2.0 gets you, I thought I'd try to answer some of what makes 2.0 different (IMO, better.)

-2.0 has points changes. The app isn't great, but I honestly don't find it to be problematic and have only bothered to use the official app, myself. The fact that points can change (and the fact that the recent points change was by and large almost exactly what the playerbase wanted) keeps old content from becoming broken with the introduction of new mechanics.

-2.0 has Red Actions and updated dials. Red actions are incredible for balance, and many ships have updated dials to make certain specialty maneuvers more common. Things that were introduced relatively later on in 1e like stops and reverse maneuvers have been brought to all of the ships that they're fitting on. Plus actions like coordination have been brought to the factions that lacked it before.

-2.0 has the Force. Call it power creep if you like, but to me being able to fly with the Force making a tangible impact on the game is incredibly thematic and makes the game so much more fun.

28 minutes ago, SpiderMana said:

@OP since it's already been answered what "upgrading" to 2.0 gets you, I thought I'd try to answer some of what makes 2.0 different (IMO, better.)

-2.0 has points changes. The app isn't great, but I honestly don't find it to be problematic and have only bothered to use the official app, myself. The fact that points can change (and the fact that the recent points change was by and large almost exactly what the playerbase wanted) keeps old content from becoming broken with the introduction of new mechanics.

-2.0 has Red Actions and updated dials. Red actions are incredible for balance, and many ships have updated dials to make certain specialty maneuvers more common. Things that were introduced relatively later on in 1e like stops and reverse maneuvers have been brought to all of the ships that they're fitting on. Plus actions like coordination have been brought to the factions that lacked it before.

-2.0 has the Force. Call it power creep if you like, but to me being able to fly with the Force making a tangible impact on the game is incredibly thematic and makes the game so much more fun.

Believe it or not, I'll actually add to this:

I like the idea of The Bullseye Arc as an integral mechanic to the game as a whole, with pilot abilities keyed off the effect of having your opponent "dead in your sights."

Edited by Darth Meanie

19 hours ago, Brygun said:

I just want to know why I need it.

You don’t need it.

Does it make x-wing funner?

On the whole I’ve found it so.

You don’t need to buy a conversion kit.  But all the cool kids have and if you don’t they’ll pick on you and won’t play with you.  

2 hours ago, Darth Meanie said:

In 2.0 I switch between First Order and Empire all the time.  They are equally viable against the Scum, Rebel and Resistance lists I play against.

I appreciate the simple, straight forward answers. 

My knee jerk reaction (6 months after) was that it was a money grab, but with the fodder for thought you guys have given me I'm seriously considering it.

Thanks!

9 hours ago, Darth Meanie said:

Personally, I am "not converting, but continuing."  I'll play Republic as 2.0, but stick with 1.0 for Empire.  Best of both worlds, as it were.

I wholeheartedly disagree with this statement. Since 2.0 hit, I've flown almost exclusively Rebels and Empire. They're fantastic, especially with the most recent points adjustment. 

2 minutes ago, PhantomFO said:

I wholeheartedly disagree with this statement. Since 2.0 hit, I've flown almost exclusively Rebels and Empire. They're fantastic, especially with the most recent points adjustment. 

Yep.

If anything, Rebels were the weakest faction at first, but got a boost with the recent points update. First Order could possibly be the weakest now (aside from Triple Upsilon) but it's still a little early.

Just throwing my two cents in:

2.0 brought a whole lot of balance, especially after the latest adjustments. Nearly every ship is a good choice to put in a list or build around... there might be a couple of ships in the classic factions that still need help (top of my head? VCX-100 for rebels, TIE Aggressor for Imps, and either the Jumpmaster or Shadow Caster for Scum). I can go to my game store, put a list down of ships I enjoy flying because they're my favorite ships from the franchise and not just because they're a guaranteed win or whatever. I can sit down, see what the other player is flying and know I'll have fun. There were so many times I sat down and just knew I lost before the dials were even set in 1.0. Best part? You don't have to buy outside of your choice faction... unless there's an upgrade you absolutely want right away.

Are there some things lacking? Of course. I'd love more choices in secondary weapons, but I know they're coming. I would also love some news on Epic as well, but we're only 3 waves in and only a few ships "officially" released for 2.0. I'd put money on us getting some hints around wave 6 at the earliest.

Anyway, in short the game is healthy and fun. 

2 hours ago, Kehl_Aecea said:

TIE Aggressor for Imps

Tiny side note, the good Kestal (Barrage Rockets, Ion turret, Ruthless) is a point cheaper now, I haven't quite found out what to pair her with, though.

I love 2.0, but the price hike on expansions made things difficult for me. It is getting hard to justify a single small ship over a complete blood bowl team (i.e.) for just 5€ more. Fortunately the conversion kits are good value and I have yet to explore all the options I want to.

TL;DR?

You'll only want to buy the conversion kits if you plan on switching across to playing X-Wing 2nd Edition.  And - official tournaments aside, as you've said you don't go to them - the main reason for that would be if you'd like to fly the new ships when they come out, which will all be 2nd edition only.

If you want to carry on playing as you are, then there's no reason to pick up any of the conversion kits.

The fundamental changes to Evade and the substitution of Push the Limit with red actions have made this game substantially better.

I loved 1.0, but it had balancing issues. I am really blown away at at they've done with 2.0.

7 hours ago, PhantomFO said:

7 hours ago, MegaSilver said:

Yep.

If anything, Rebels were the weakest faction at first, but got a boost with the recent points update. First Order could possibly be the weakest now (aside from Triple Upsilon) but it's still a little early.

Well, by "dead in the water" I didn't mean unfun to play, I just meant no new material.

The OP isn't going to find much in the way of new ship content by converting.

Edited by Darth Meanie

19 hours ago, Darth Meanie said:

The OP isn't going to find much in the way of new ship content by converting

All the fat turrets are basically new ships that are now interesting to play. Dial changes affect a whole lot of ships, too. That doesn't even cover the unplayable ships that now are (you can casual all you want, but unless your opponent has a 15 point handicap, you can't stand your ground in 1.0 using Punishers and their likes). Converting to 2.0 gave me back half my collection that had been outcreeped or mechanically dull.

On 2/7/2019 at 10:46 PM, Brygun said:

so far 2.0 is a very, very expensive temporary fix to some problems in the tournament scene. there are some nice changes, like medium bases and rotating turret arcs becoming standard, but most of 1.0s limitations were brought directly into 2.0.  Innitiative and pilot skill are still king for example... additionally there are some real ease-of-use problems in 2.0, like squad points costs existing only in digital form and being changed frequently, so you basically need the app and internet access to play.

So as far as I and my play group are concerned 2.0 is a disaster for non tournament players.  im pretty annoyed with FFGs business practices in general though

On 2/7/2019 at 8:46 PM, Brygun said:

Story time!

A few weeks ago I played a game against a guy, and after the first few rounds of fire both our wingmen were dead and I was left with Old Man Han Solo and my opponent was left with Dash Rendar, both of them fully loaded and basically untouched. Since this was 2.0 and things like rotating firing arcs and no easy access to dice mods or action economy, it ended up being an incredibly tense battle where every move, every action, and every decision was critical. His Dash had the better damage output and maneuverability, but my Old Man Han had the higher initiative (pilot skill). I realized that I needed to risk diving in close in order to get into Dash’s range 1 weak spot, while he was tying to keep me at a distance and in arc.

In one round I managed a red (take a stress token to perform the action) boost that landed me right next to his ship, just out of both of his firing arcs with only a few millimeters to spare, which let me sink a bunch of damage into him with no return fire. A round or two later he misjudged a maneuver and ended up barely overlapping me, causing him to lose his actions and end in a bad position. That allowed me to do enough damage into him to finish him off. If either of those rounds had gone the other way the tables would have been turned and he would have easily won. 

It was such a fun game. Now, contrast that with first edition- the same scenario would have been a dull slog-fest where the maneuvering barely mattered, with both of us rolling fully modified dice back and forth until someone died. 

2.0 is so much more fun than 1.0 I can’t even begin to describe it. Do you NEED 2.0? No, but technically none of us NEEDS X-Wing at all. A better question would be: is 2.0 worth it?

Absolutely 100% yes!

I think its possible to remain 1ed, then only buy 2ed ships you like and "down-convert" for casual play.

I haven't bought any 2ed ships but am contemplating buying the new 2ed A-Wing and mixing it with 1ed ships. Homebrew a 1ed conversion. The dial will remain 2ed and then assign some cost points to each pilot and which upgrades it can equip.