Well ...

First off, there are several "Han's" to choose from now!  You can go with Rebel, Resistance or even Scum and Villainy.

But to answer your basic question, yes I think 'Fat Han' style builds are viable currently.  I would say that aspects of the original Fat Han included arc dodging and re-rolls.  Arc dodging he can definitely do whichever faction you fly him in thanks to I6, Engine Upgrade and my personal favorite, Seasoned Navigator (probably not the 'meta' choice but I love it for getting out of arcs and not getting blocked).

The Rebel Han comes with inbuilt re-rolls (provided you stay close to an obstacle) but any of them can equip Lone Wolf.  There's no exact equivalent of the first edition 'Gunner' crew however some people fly him with Hotshot Gunner to token strip and help his wing mates .  Veteran Gunner is another possibility for a possible second shot but having targets in both arcs is actually pretty tough to achieve at all consistently.

Resistance Han seems to often get flown with Rose Tico and Freelance Slicer.  Sometimes with Finn & Heroic.  There's a thread here.

Scum Han is all about getting obstructed shots so you'll often see him with Trick Shot and Rigged Cargo Chute.

For me, I want him to be good at arc dodging and then have passive mods so he can do Seasoned Navigator, boost (or turn his turret) and still get modified shots.

I flew the following at a local tournament a couple of weeks back and did ok with it (2nd from 10 :)   )

T-70 X-wing - •Poe Dameron - 91
    •Poe Dameron - Trigger-Happy Flyboy (68)
        Daredevil (3)
        •BB-8 (8)
        •Black One (2)
        Integrated S-foils (Open) (0)
        Primed Thrusters (10)

Scavenged YT-1300 Light Freighter - •Han Solo - 107
    •Han Solo - Jaded Smuggler (76)
        •Lone Wolf (5)
        Seasoned Navigator (5)
        Engine Upgrade (7)
        •Rey (14)

Total: 198/200

View in the X-Wing Squad Builder

And I think I'm going to try this sometime:

Modified YT-1300 Light Freighter - •Han Solo - 107
    •Han Solo - Scoundrel for Hire (82)
        •Lone Wolf (5)
        •Saw Gerrera (8)
        Seasoned Navigator (5)
        Engine Upgrade (7)

T-65 X-wing - •Luke Skywalker - 86
    •Luke Skywalker - Red Five (62)
        Proton Torpedoes (12)
        •R2-D2 (6)
        Afterburners (6)
        Servomotor S-foils (Open) (0)

Total: 193/200

View in the X-Wing Squad Builder

Edited by eljms

10 minutes ago, Flybywiresystem said:

Hello there, XWing Community!

Is a Fat Han list still viable, or is he viable yet again, now that the point-costs have been updated?

How would you build a Fat Han list and which ship(s) would you fly with him?

There a couple flyable lists since the Jan 28th point change for Han, recommend that you organize from most recent posted date. All that have him built into a list have him in the title.

The more successful builds seem to have Han with 2 other wingman ships but you will see 2 large base ship builds too. Example of what I have seen:\

Han Solo — Modified YT-1300 Light Freighter 82
Trick Shot 2
Hotshot Gunner 7
Perceptive Copilot 8
Jyn Erso 2
Millennium Falcon 6
Rigged Cargo Chute 4
Ship Total: 111
Half Points: 56 Threshold: 7

Jake Farrell — RZ-1 A-Wing 36
Predator 2
Swarm Tactics 3
Ship Total: 41
Half Points: 21 Threshold: 2

Garven Dreis (X-Wing) — T-65 X-Wing 47
Marksmanship 1
Servomotor S-foils 0
Ship Total: 48

Half Points: 24 Threshold: 3

Like I said wingmen are your preference but the essence of it,

Adding and dropping for a couple of Han's extras is a thing too.

I flew against and lost to a Han list, last kit Tourney I was in.  I'm not sure how well the guy did other than against me.  I don't know that I'd call it Fat Han, however.

• Han Solo (Trick Shot, R2-D2, Novice Technician, Engine Upgrade) 103
  • Wedge Antillies (Predator, S-Foils) 54
  • Grey Squadron Bomber (Ion Cannon Turret, Veteran Turret Gunner) 41

Wedge is always decent enough.  The Grey is a surprisingly nice filler piece, if you can get your range controlling right.  Han seemed solid.  R2-D2 gives a shield every round, and it'll be unlikely for any nasty crits to stay face-up, since you can reroll the R2-D2 die, and then if you do flip something, you have two tries with Novice Technician (who could probably be Leia instead, or even nothing...) to keep it face-down.  Han just dies slow, particularly if he's defending obstructed shots, so he'll be rolling 2 dice with his rerolls.

And Han's red dice aren't too bad either, when focused.  I'm trying to recall my math for optimal strategy back in 1e with Expertise Han, but I think it's "reroll anything which isn't all hits/focus."  Even on 4 dice, at 3 hits/focus you'll have like a 26% chance to go down in hits, a 42% chance to stay put, and a 32% chance to go up to 4.  It'll depend on how much is left on the enemy ship, how much you want to save a focus.  But Han's kinda best off going for broke, trying for the big play.  And that's kinda cool.

I've seen Lone Wolf/Kanan Han do pretty well, and it's even cheaper now. You can evade and still have Han's ability + Lone Wolf + force for offense. With the evade and title, it's pretty crazy if you are at R1 of an obstacle: Roll your die + reroll with ability (if needed) + reroll with falcon title (if needed), and then spend evade if needed. Almost like a reinforce, except you can block one hit!

Han Solo — Modified YT-1300 Light Freighter82

Lone Wolf5

R2-D2 (Crew)8

Kanan Jarrus12

Millennium Falcon6

Ship Total: 113

https://raithos.github.io/?f=Rebel Alliance&d=v5!s!42:124,-1,-1,56,41,-1,154,-1:&sn=Unnamed Squadron&obs=

Fat Hans?

Rebel: R2-DCrew, Lando Crewrissian, season to taste. Regen and avoid the downside with his rerolls, Lando and reroll to get the tokens you want, reroll any roll you don't like

Resistance: Heroic, Rose, Finn, optionally improve him with the title, ContraCybers, and/or 3PO. Focus (or calculate), attack, add blank, spend blank, get lock, use lock, use focus. Defend, add blank, maybe trigger Heroic, probably spend something for a new lock, next round, get to use that lock and a focus on the 3 primary dice and Finn's die.

Scum: Trick Shot. Always Trick Shot. For a lighter Fat Han, add Lando Crewrissian and IG crew for double mods. For a fatter Fat Han, add L3 Crew, 0-0-0, title, and dock Lando shuttle. Focus, attack, Lando rerolls, 0-0-0 for control, pop L3 ASAP and use the FALCON'S shields first to get the extra greens to deal with the Lando stress

I think Juke is just going to be bad on Wedge.  It's really taking the long way around.  Wedge does a LOT less damage with Juke than with just spending a focus.  Juke does save the Evade token for defense, but this isn't a list you fly if you want your ships to stay alive for a long time.

Meanwhile, Wedge has Torpedoes and only one action.  It should go to a lock.

On top of this, Where's R2-D2?  I feel like a cheap Han is probably fine without him, but once you get up over 110 points and you don't have Regen on Han... Boy, I dunno.

15 hours ago, theBitterFig said:

Wedge does a LOT less damage with Juke than with just spending a focus.  Juke does save the Evade token for defense, but this isn't a list you fly if you want your ships to stay alive for a long time.

Meanwhile, Wedge has Torpedoes and only one action.  It should go to a lock.

If you want a Juking Wedge, I’d say pair him with a PerCo/Jyn Two-Tubes so wedge can keep his TL or repositioning action.

49 minutes ago, kempokid said:

If you want a Juking Wedge, I’d say pair him with a PerCo/Jyn Two-Tubes so wedge can keep his TL or repositioning action.

That's a perfect example of what I mean by it being the LONG way around.  Not that Two-Tubes is bad--dude seems fine.  But the lengths you have to go to in order for Juke to work on most ships...

And now I'll contradict myself... Juke E-Wings are probably not too bad, since they'll have mods from Experimental Scanners.  But that's way off topic...

Thanks for the info!

Seems like "Fat Han" is not so fat anymore 😉

Somehow people don't seem to play him with Gunner Luke in a super fat version, like this:

Han Solo (82)
Trick Shot (2)
Luke Skywalker (26)
Chewbacca (4)
R2-D2 (Crew) (8)
Engine Upgrade (7)

Total: 129

Why is that? Is he too expensive for what he brings to the battlefield? Do you loose to many points, whenever the Falcon gets shot at?

You can only fit one more ship, which better pull its weight.

You can just fit Wedge in at 71 points.

Elusive/ProTorps/R2/S-Foils

No bid, but two I6's could still work. Wedge will die, just make sure to get those Torps off first!

Or drop the Astromech and EPT to gain a seven point bid.

Edited by SCSkunk
Grammar

I lost to this Fat Han list on Friday:

Gavin Darklighter (61)
Elusive (3)
Fire-Control System (2)
R2 Astromech (4)

Han Solo (82)
Trick Shot (2)
Luke Skywalker (26)
R2-D2 (Crew) (8)
C-3PO (8)
Stealth Device (4)

Total: 200

View in Yet Another Squad Builder 2.0

It looks super janky, but was annoyingly difficult to deal with. By the time I killed Han, I only had two y-wings left. Gavin made short work of one and I managed to get Gavin down to half health before he vaped me. I will say that I gained a lot of respect for the E-Wing chassis, and for Gavin's ability, which I think is actually better than Coran's. Too bad he's I4. 

You can't argue with results (my opponent won his prior round handily), but I would run this instead:

Gavin Darklighter (61)
Fire-Control System (2)
Proton Torpedoes (12)
R4 Astromech (2)

Han Solo (82)
Trick Shot (2)
Luke Skywalker (26)
Jyn Erso (2)
Perceptive Copilot (8)

Total: 197

View in Yet Another Squad Builder 2.0

That way Han gets a focus and an evade, and he usually gets two defense (for being obstructed). So you'll have the defense reroll and an evade to mitigate damage. If you don't want the bid, you could also run hull upgrade on Han. Alternatively, if you want to keep R2-D2 crew, I would run him with Chewie so he can repair any damage cards that R2 flips. Protons on Gavin, while expensive, seem really good. You get a free reroll from Fire-Control System and two hits turn to crits (one from the proton torpedoes and one from his ability). Plus his ability is very good with Han's rerolls. 

On 2/8/2019 at 3:51 PM, Wootavie1 said:

Try that?

SmartSelect_20190208-164759_Drive.jpg

It will be hard for Wedge to use Juke a Torpedoes at the same time.  Swap the R2 for as R3 to make this work every other round on every other target (not necessarily the best set up to concentrate fire).

This is my current Hyperspace fat Han list that's a lot of fun for me, and sure 2 ship builds are tough, but at tournaments (that have 5/6 games per day) flying swarms of ships can really drain you.  

Fat Han Hype 2.0

(82) Han Solo
(2) Trick Shot
(26) Luke Skywalker
(8) Saw Gerrera
(8) R2-D2
Points 126

(52) Wedge Antilles
(0) Servomotor S-foils
(2) R4 Astromech
(5) Lone Wolf
(6) Afterburners