Sign in to follow this  
HaphazardNinja

Advice for a First-Time GM

Hey all. My wife is going to run our first Shadow of the Beanstalk campaign in couple of weeks. She has solid year experience with Genesys as a player, and Savage Worlds as the same for a year prior. This will be her first "real" time in the GM seat, four 1-shot adventures notwithstanding. She enjoys the system and was really intrigued by the Android setting. What tips, warnings, and general advice do you have for a first time Genesys GM? I have been running Star Wars RPG and Genesys so long I can no longer remember my early lessons. We already have general party roles delegated and the rest of us are similarly or more experienced with Genesys and role-playing in general. Thanks!

Listen to The Dice Pool Podcast (www.thedicepoolpodcast.com).

this is a shameless plug but we go into each part of the system.

I would recommend the following episodes:

There are other podcasts you can listen toas well but what you are asking needs about 20hrs to explain.

My advice would be:

Relax
Be flexible
Err on the side of propelling the story forward and/or in the player's favour
Make frequent use of the Story Points to keep things interesting
Keep copies of the tables for Spending Advantage/Setback and Critical Injuries handy
Try to give every character at least one moment to shine (in combat, social, netrunning, etc)
Provide a generous XP award at the end of the first campaign session (I've found as a GM this is always met with great approval)
And, of course, have fun! :)

13 hours ago, GM Hooly said:

Also have a listen to some liveplays. We will be making an Android one available very shortly.

13 hours ago, GM Hooly said:

Listen to The Dice Pool Podcast (www.thedicepoolpodcast.com).

this is a shameless plug but we go into each part of the system.

I would recommend the following episodes:

There are other podcasts you can listen toas well but what you are asking needs about 20hrs to explain.

I immensely appreciate this. However, as a mechanic she is an interactive learner. She cannot "do podcasts" or really anything where she just listens to people. Again, thanks for your input (and shameless plug😁). If it makes you feel better, I was already a fan.

2 hours ago, HaphazardNinja said:

I immensely appreciate this. However, as a mechanic she is an interactive learner. She cannot "do podcasts" or really anything where she just listens to people. Again, thanks for your input (and shameless plug😁). If it makes you feel better, I was already a fan.

I had read a post on another forum a while back that resonated with me.

Skills/tips/superpowers of GMing I am willing to share.
I use:

• Sandbox
  • Railroad
  • Illusionism
  • Lying
  • Cheating
  • Fudging
  • Manipulation
  • Crying
  • Begging
  • Linear Plots
  • Ignoring
  • Meta Gaming

Or anything else I think will keep the Players engaged.

To me, keeping the Players engaged is VASTLY more important than any RightWaytoPlay purisms people cling to.

YMMV

I always start with a session zero.  At session zero We make characters together!  That way everyone knows who is playing what.  I no longer allow people to show up with ready made characters or for people to make a character at session zero, just to make a new one before session 1.

I also put a limit or 'boundaries' on what I am willing to GM.  If I say I am wanting to run a city campaign that lasts for 18 sessions.  That is what I am wanting to run.  I refuse to spend 17 sessions outside in the forest in a city campaign.

Have a copy of every character's character sheet.

I have a sheet of paper with random names, street names, businesses, etc. that I can insert into the game when someone asks for or about something I haven't completely detailed. 

General Tips / Advice:

• The most important rule / tip for me as a GM/DM is ... "Just have fun!"
  • Secondly, listen to your players.  It is amazing what you can pick up as far as ideas and what  not from hearing them talk to each other.

Warnings:

• Don't let the rules rule you as a GM/DM.  Just be familiar enough with the rules to make a confident decision on a rule without looking it up.  
  • And now I will contradict myself, if you all as a group are learning new rules then take the time to look it up to do it the right way.  This might be for character creation and a couple of sessions, but then go back to my previous warning and don't let the rules rule you.  😃

So, just have fun!  Be confident!  And did I mention ... just have fun?  hehehe

Enjoy and good luck!

Chris "Zszree" Holmes

Prepare.

-Read the adventure thoroughly (easier when you do your own). Not having to pause makes you look on the ball.

-If the adventure/session/campaign isn't on rails, create random/modular encounters ahead of time. Have several ready. Putting the time in increases the quality and ultimately player buy in and enjoyment. 

-Create applicable NPCs with names and quickie backgrounds ahead of time, so when they ask the shopkeeper's name/race you have an answer. Same as above, pumps up quality of session.

-Give PCs bumpers for character creation. Don't let them make something you genuinely don't want. If they need to be thugs/underworld types, tell them so.

-Session 0s are helpful in knowing what your PCs have made to tailor efforts in the above.

-Obviously have a good command of core rules.

-Organize how you want to track things, wounds, money, etc, and have checksheets ready.

-Select your adversaries aheadof time, read, and understand them, again so you aren't pausing to read during the session.

-Most importantly, be comfortable with being in charge and make rulings