Ardiwynn

New factions

1 hour ago, Darth Sanguis said:

OOF...

ya, probably too harsh. Whatever, they are targeting the largest demographic they can but a large portion of that demo has never been a fan of star trek so trying to draw them in with "EXPLOSIONS!!!!!1!" is only going to result in driving out fans of the older series while attracting fair weather consumers who are only interested in a visual spectacle that doesn't have too much to think about. 

For what it's worth I like that star wars is using a more diverse cast, it's the right way to do it and Rey is a GREAT protagonist with a fantastic actress helming her, they just really could use some better writers. 

Edit: If they could figure out a way to add supped up space cars that jump from ship to ship out the space windows with Vin diesel driving one I bet that would sell so many tickets to "2 star 2 trek 2 furious". 

Edited by dominosfleet

My main reason was not even that they messed up the lore completely. They could have done that in a breathtaking way, but the movies itself were bad, uninspiring, poorly written and the direcring was stupid. Except of two scenes from TLJ and Mark Hamill I feel like the actors had no idea how they should act/react in the situation they were filming.

6 hours ago, dominosfleet said:

they just really could use some better writers.  

Star Wars could use better writer(s) since the Episode 4 first came out. Have you ever read the OG script? They made an entire comic out of it, found HERE

Its a bit rough.

I honestly think that Disney looked over all the old Legends content and said, "We would love to do this, but we would 1: have to pay royalties, and 2: Would have needed to do this, 15-20 years ago." And the reason for this is just the actor's ages. 15-20 years ago, Mark Hamill would have been 47, a great age to set up the entire being married, having kids that are not young enough to tell stories about without it being a redo of prequels... but that's not what happened. So how do you set up for some stories that explore radical new ideas while also introducing new characters? Slowly introduce them and remove the old characters at the same time. Finish up some meaningful character arcs that could have developed, create some new character arcs at the same time.

I suspect, that if Disney doesn't get massive backlash in 9, we might see something like the Vong hinted at in the future. Not to the extreme that the Vong are, but enough of a threat that it makes sense story wise.

But thats just me.

3 hours ago, Ling27 said:

I suspect, that if Disney doesn't get massive backlash in 9, we might see something like the Vong hinted at in the future. Not to the extreme that the Vong are, but enough of a threat that it makes sense story wise.

But thats just me.

Never underestimate Disney.  Once the First Order is wiped out, maybe the Second Order will emerge from the an unknown region of the Unknown Region?  They're kinda like the First Order, but totally different.  Like, their mega-AT-ATs have 8 LEGS!  And their mega stardestroyer is six times as big as Snoke's ship, which was wider than the Death Star.. never forget!  #ScaleCreep #BiggerISBetter

And you thought Poe was the best pilot you've ever seen?!  Guess again!  Poe Jr kicks twice as much a**and spouts off four times as much sass!  'Membeh that time Poe killed 10 TIEs in 8 seconds?  Well Poe Jr shoots down 20 TIEs in 4 seconds!  You'll wanna watch that scene on slow-motion!

Edited by AllWingsStandyingBy

On topic:

I think that if Armada continues after the SSD (and that's not a trivial "if"), it's a forgone conclusion that we'll see Separatists and Republic factions roll out next.  The GCW well has basically run dry, and it seems plausible the SSD would be the last thing to squeeze out of that era.  X-Wing and Destiny are already exploring the Prequel-Era and setting the stage for Armada, as certainly FFG would plan on double-and-triple-dipping the commissioned art across as many games as possible.  Much of the recently previewed Sep/Rep stuff from X-Wing features capital ships in the art as well, like Venators and Luchrehulks.  With some basic cropping, these art pieces become ship cards and upgrade cards for Armada. 

When FFG made the (likely difficult) decision to jump into the Prequel Era with their properties, surely they were hoping to spread it across as many product line as possible.  That doesn't mean that Armada is a viable enough property to actually support more releases or two new factions, but that seems to be the only direction likely deemed worth going if the product line doesn't end with the SSD. 

I don't think the Sequel Era (yet) works for Armada.  The story is far too divisive at the moment, while the ships/squadrons are largely aesthetically derivative and it's all complicated by that fact that despite being 2/3 of the way through the story we really don't have many ships.  That said, on-screen in the OT we only get 1 Imperial Ship and 4-5 Rebel Ships (depending on if you think 'wings' make the MC80s different... and the B'rah'tok gunship doesn't really count since it's a 'blink and you miss it' ship).  So, if the comics and video games start stepping up additions to the ST, maybe it'll be a viable faction... but the OT had 40 years of expanded content to give us the few other ships we see in Armada.

Edited by AllWingsStandyingBy

1 hour ago, AllWingsStandyingBy said:

Never underestimate Disney.  Once the First Order is wiped out, maybe the Second Order will emerge from the an unknown region of the Unknown Region?  They're kinda like the First Order, but totally different.  Like, their mega-AT-ATs have 8 LEGS!  And their mega stardestroyer is six times as big as Snoke's ship, which was wider than the Death Star.. never forget!  #ScaleCreep #BiggerISBetter

And you thought Poe was the best pilot you've ever seen?!  Guess again!  Poe Jr kicks twice as much a**and spouts off four times as much sass!  'Membeh that time Poe killed 10 TIEs in 8 seconds?  Well Poe Jr shoots down 20 TIEs in 4 seconds!  You'll wanna watch that scene on slow-motion!

notfunfact: thats pretty much how I expect it.

1 hour ago, AllWingsStandyingBy said:

I think that if Armada continues after the SSD (and that's not a trivial "if"), it's a forgone conclusion that we'll see Separatists and Republic factions roll out next.  The GCW well has basically run dry, and it seems plausible the SSD would be the last thing to squeeze out of that era.

Maybe that's right. We've already seen nearly all important ships and characters for GCW area. Maybe there is some more content to come, like 1 wave or 2, a campaign or accessories box with some new cards. But the game can't expand for ever, and it's not healthy to include strange stuff like Vong ships or never seen EU stuff in a too big amount.

If FFG would bring PT ships and squadrons, which is likely, as you said, because they do it in X-wing and anounced to do so for Legion, they have to produce a new Core Set. You can't expect to sell the old box to new Armada players, if they want to play Clone Wars era.

So when doing a new Core Set, I would change a few things a bit to adjust it to the flair of Clone Wars with older ships and robot armies. Maybe like different damage cards, range ruler and maybe even dice. But I would use the movement tool and more-or-less the same rules. Clone Wars: Armada would be a game, that could develop without all issues to come if you have to compete with 2 existing and fully spread out factions. No problem with tournaments! (Imagine you would have to go with wave 1 ships and cards only to a tournament.) No bad feelings for mixing two eras and characters fighting that don't live at the same time. Yet with rules and movement tools alike, CW:A and SW:A can be played together. So for existing Armada communities there is a possibility to play with old and new content, it they like.

I think to do it like this would be a wise decision! (And maybe someone else wants to do the Clone Wars: Armada wiki...)

As some of the ship designs from the old EU, aka the Rebellion pc game were Lucasarts, does Disney not own that now?

But yes, short of a whole new set of shows/movies set in the GCW, I would imagine clone wars will come. Which I wouldn’t mind as long as some relevant ships eg Acclamator, are cross faction.

It would be shooting oneself in the foot if you didnt just keep the Clone Wars content in the same game as Armada. Sepratists are the faction with the least cross action right now, so they would be the most expensive to buy into. You could easily make a conversion kit for ships for the republic. Seeing as we have the Pelta, Arquitens, Victory, ect. These could transfer easily, but also have reprinted versions with republic colors.

I think you will constantly see a new stream of ships from new movies and shows. Clone wars is a natural fit for armada. I expect it announced at GenCon along with content for Legion.

Starting X-wing, I have no idea where 75% of the ships come from. All these shows I havent watched