Sign in to follow this  
GreenLantern1138

Phasma Thanisson

I think I read somewhere that these two crew members stack their effects because although Phasma’s effect occurs at the end of the phase, the end of the phase is still during the phase. I can’t find a source for the ruling though. Can anyone help?

If you look at page 5 of the RR, it breaks down when the effects with specific wording can trigger.

At the end of: This timing is used with a specific phase or step of ship’s activation. This effect triggers after the normal effects of that phase or step have occurred

I believe that during and at the end are two different triggers. During happening first, then at the end... at the end. So these two crew abilities would not stack in my opinion. 

I think they clearly stack.  The argument that the end of a phase doesn't happen during the phase is torturous of language to the point of absurdity.

There's another thread, where I read a great point from @SwampyCr

Looking at a specific section of the above quote "While: This term is often used in combination with multi-stepped game effects such as an attack, an action, or a maneuver. Although less specific than the other timings, this term is used to narrow down when the ability is resolved during the round. Additional verbiage is required to identify when exactly the effect is applied." 

If anything, the While section confirms that during encompasses more time than just "while." My rationale for this is that while specifies "when an ability resolves during the round." The job of "While" is to be more specific than "during." "While is a specific subset of "during" based on a strict interpretation of that section. Because is a subset of that phase, during must encompass the whole phase.

I find this quite illuminating.  Trying to use the While timing on p.5 doesn't get that far, since there's clearly more to During than just While.

I want to add my opinion to the current majority of believing that they stack. "During" is not a specific timing window; it is a general term. Things that happen at the end of a phase occur, by definition, during that phase.

just want to note that i 100% agree with @Maui. , @theBitterFig , @ConomeOnTheVine and @mcgreag

"during" is not a game term. it means what it means in english. phasma still triggers during the engagement phase, even if it's at the end of it, so that's within thanisson timing restriction. after phasmas ability makes a ship gain a stress token, thanissons ability can be used to make that ship gain a token of the same type.