That Blasted Samophlange

So, two bounty hunters..

.. is pretty cool.  There will likely be more on the way.   A new gameplay mode (likeky fan based) could certainly come up where the players all play a bounty hunter and try to take down a target.   This could be a game on their own right.

Secondly, many of the classic Empire bounty hunters were active in the Clone Wars.   What are the chances we will get reissues for the Seperatists should they ever show up?

4 minutes ago, buckero0 said:

Bossk is pretty bad though or terribly inconsistent. His defense is poor, his attack is all over the place. He's slow compared to Sabine or Boba. He'll have a hard time collecting that bounty.

I mean, a range 4 gun with pierce, 5 dice and his 3 pip command card that gives him a pile of aim tokens might help...

9 minutes ago, buckero0 said:

Bossk is pretty bad though or terribly inconsistent. His defense is poor, his attack is all over the place. He's slow compared to Sabine or Boba. He'll have a hard time collecting that bounty.

I picture him being more of an area denial unit and less of an "I'm Boba Fett, I just flew halfway across the board and flamered a whole unit of fleet troopers and now I'm out" type unit. That big gun with suppressive, next to say an E-Web will really lock down segments of a board.

Edited by Crawfskeezen

8 minutes ago, buckero0 said:

I think he'll be fine. His defense is bad for an imperial unit, but with regeneration and his weapon's range it's likely he'll be behind some form of cover for most of the game. His damage is okay for a named unit, but with suppression I'd be using him to throw out those tokens like it's no one's business. His speed is average which isn't inherently bad. I rarely pay attention to bounty. As with Boba, the named unit needs to be over exposed or almost dead for the hunter to swoop in and claim the kill. Boba usually needs to be up close to do so and his speed and defense compliment that. Bossk has the range to do so from a safe distance and should he need to move up, he can do so and likely also shoot after the move.

37 minutes ago, thepopemobile100 said:

I think he'll be fine. His defense is bad for an imperial unit, but with regeneration and his weapon's range it's likely he'll be behind some form of cover for most of the game. His damage is okay for a named unit, but with suppression I'd be using him to throw out those tokens like it's no one's business. His speed is average which isn't inherently bad. I rarely pay attention to bounty. As with Boba, the named unit needs to be over exposed or almost dead for the hunter to swoop in and claim the kill. Boba usually needs to be up close to do so and his speed and defense compliment that. Bossk has the range to do so from a safe distance and should he need to move up, he can do so and likely also shoot after the move.

Yeah, I haven't claimed a bounty with Boba Fett yet, but I find that it makes a big impact on where my opponent deploys their commanders.  Especially Leia, Veers and other vulnerable non-force using commanders.  My opponent will likely overprotect them and lessen their impact on the battle.

40 minutes ago, thepopemobile100 said:

yeah, I've seen Chewie melt even with heavy cover all the time.  I just wonder how many times someone is going to report, "I was going to charge that unit, but then I regenerated and lost the CHARGE ability, they shot me and then I failed all my saves and died"

1 minute ago, KommanderKeldoth said:

Yeah, I haven't claimed a bounty with Boba Fett yet, but I find that it makes a big impact on where my opponent deploys their commanders.  Especially Leia, Veers and other vulnerable non-force using commanders.  My opponent will likely overprotect them and lessen their impact on the battle.

Boba doesn't actually have to kill the character though does he? As long as the bounty is there and the figure is defeated, and he stays alive, right?  I need to reread the BOUNTY rules again.

2 minutes ago, buckero0 said:

Boba doesn't actually have to kill the character though does he? As long as the bounty is there and the figure is defeated, and he stays alive, right?  I need to reread the BOUNTY rules again.

Boba has to kill the character to get the bounty token.

Edited by BielTanLord

3 minutes ago, buckero0 said:

yeah, I've seen Chewie melt even with heavy cover all the time.  I just wonder how many times someone is going to report, "I was going to charge that unit, but then I regenerated and lost the CHARGE ability, they shot me and then I failed all my saves and died"

Cover isn't perfect. Lost a full squad of commandos after a group of stormtroopers rolled 5 crits without an aim. Fortunately, regenerate takes place at the end of Bossk's activation so that shouldn't happen too often.

I think unless you expose Bossk to other fire or unless he can find a perfect sniper's nest, he'll struggle to finish off that bounty. Most opponents will hide the character behind LOS blocking terrain and Bossk can climb,etc but does not have the movement Boba has to get that last wound.  Bossk is also missing the sharpshooter keyword, which a lot of figures have, but which will be key in trying to get a "kill."  Boba is not impervious to death either, but his defense is much more forgiving than a >17% chance of a save.   I play mainly Rebels, but have played against Boba quite a bit.  I've also given Chewbacca a whirl several times and think he is probably overcosted.  I know a lot of all game results are linked to how the terrain is set up, but Chewie dies quick if someone starts to shoot at him.  Bossk has Regenerate, but will only average 1 regained wound if he has max 3 wounds to try and regenerate.  If he gets 3 wounds a turn he'll only last 3 rounds if lucky. He may not get all his activations.  I think the figure looks cool, but he's going to be hard to use/keep alive i think.  His rifle damage is all over the map as well. 

2 minutes ago, buckero0 said:

I think unless you expose Bossk to other fire or unless he can find a perfect sniper's nest, he'll struggle to finish off that bounty. Most opponents will hide the character behind LOS blocking terrain and Bossk can climb,etc but does not have the movement Boba has to get that last wound.  Bossk is also missing the sharpshooter keyword, which a lot of figures have, but which will be key in trying to get a "kill."  Boba is not impervious to death either, but his defense is much more forgiving than a >17% chance of a save.   I play mainly Rebels, but have played against Boba quite a bit.  I've also given Chewbacca a whirl several times and think he is probably overcosted.  I know a lot of all game results are linked to how the terrain is set up, but Chewie dies quick if someone starts to shoot at him.  Bossk has Regenerate, but will only average 1 regained wound if he has max 3 wounds to try and regenerate.  If he gets 3 wounds a turn he'll only last 3 rounds if lucky. He may not get all his activations.  I think the figure looks cool, but he's going to be hard to use/keep alive i think.  His rifle damage is all over the map as well. 

I see a problem here.   The thinking that placing a bounty token means you HAVE to defeat the target.

Personally, putting the bounty on a target will often have the psychological effect of changing how an opponent plays that unit.   In this way, you can limit what an enemy may do.   Combine this with Bossk’s long (2-4) range supressive weapon, Bossk has a different role to play.

Add in Boba on one side of the play area and Bossk in another, you have real potential.

36 minutes ago, That Blasted Samophlange said:

I see a problem here.   The thinking that placing a bounty token means you HAVE to defeat the target.

Personally, putting the bounty on a target will often have the psychological effect of changing how an opponent plays that unit.   In this way, you can limit what an enemy may do.   Combine this with Bossk’s long (2-4) range supressive weapon, Bossk has a different role to play.

Add in Boba on one side of the play area and Bossk in another, you have real potential.

Also, if a generic commander is on the table, a 5 dice attack can easily one shot them, so there's that...

5 hours ago, crx3800 said:

I look forward to putting all the bounty on one character! Yes, I know I would only earn one, but then two bounty hunters would each have the chance to "earn" the point. 

Reading the Bounty description, it looks like if you put a bounty counter on separate units, Bossk or Boba could potentially collect both counters. They don't have to place them in order to collect them.

1 hour ago, Lannes said:

Could both victory tokens from bounty be placed in the same commander?

In that case, if defeated by a bounty hunter would both victory tokens collected or only one?

Nothing let me think you can't. So you could.

Thematically, is it possible to have a rebel bounty hunter?

Before you say yes, remember that the rebels are outlaws to the legitimate government.

I hope they do make a Rebel unit with bounty, but I don’t see them doing it. Maybe they’ll come up with something else for Rebels.

Until then, this is an unfair advantage that Imperials have. They have two extra ways of gaining victory tokens, where the rebels have none. I’m starting to think more and more that the designers have a preference to sides.

Just sayin’.

50 minutes ago, JediPartisan said:

Before you say yes, remember that the rebels are outlaws to the legitimate government.

I hope they do make a Rebel unit with bounty, but I don’t see them doing it. Maybe they’ll come up with something else for Rebels.

Until then, this is an unfair advantage that Imperials have. They have two extra ways of gaining victory tokens, where the rebels have none. I’m starting to think more and more that the designers have a preference to sides.

Just sayin’.

Bounty hunters work on the edge of legality, and often right over the edge. They've worked with the Alliance and Rebel characters all the time. I could see Cassian having a similar ability as well, but I don't know what it would be called.

3 hours ago, JediPartisan said:

Just sayin’.

They have other things for Rebels. It’s called characters that synergize well. Boba is a lone wolf that leaves your activations up to chance. We have every reason to believe Bossk is the same.

Chewie by contrast always aligns with another character, at least somewhat improving more than himself. Sabine looks to be similar with that 3 pip.

Sabine is bonkers good with that darksaber. And I’m pretty sure that defaced token has something to do with sabotaging or otherwise subverting an objective such that it gains the Rebel extra VP or makes the empire lose VP. I don’t know the exact mechanics, but that looks just like an objective token with the defacing on it so I imagine it has to be somehow.

Lastly, the empire doesn’t have two ways. It’s one way. Just two different units can do it - and while legally they can both be put into a list, that list is going to fail pretty hard at bringing the troops needed for the actual mission.

4 hours ago, JediPartisan said:

Just sayin’.

4-LOM and Zuckess both worked with the Rebellion quite extensively in the EU, so could easily fit in with them.  Rebels also had the occasional friendly Bounty hunter, so it fits in either canon. 

2 hours ago, ScummyRebel said:

Sabine is bonkers good with that darksaber. And I’m pretty sure that defaced token has something to do with sabotaging or otherwise subverting an objective such that it gains the Rebel extra VP or makes the empire lose VP. I don’t know the exact mechanics, but that looks just like an objective token with the defacing on it so I imagine it has to be somehow.

Its obvious there’s a lot of salt there, but I’m not going to get into that, but as fas as Sabine’s colourful token being a victory token, it’s highly unlikely.

Its way too big to be a victory token. It looks to be the size of her mine/charges and probably has something to do with that.