manoftomorrow010

On the Hunt - Sabine Wren and Bossk!

15 hours ago, Icyobi said:

Leia was a Senator at 18??????

Luke could pilot better than trained imperial pilots at 18????

Padme was a flipping elected Queen at like 13???  Then an even more accomplished Senator at 23???

No one blinks when Ashoka was out waving a lightsaber around at 13 in a war zone

Just saying age feels like its absolutely meaningless in Star Wars. Young peeps are all up in the Stars and the Wars

Child pilots were so common, there was a kid-sized helmet inside the Naboo N-1 fighter Anakin piloted in Phantom Menace!

Star Wars is a pulp adventure fantasy, one of the genre tropes is precocious child/teen heroes.

This can go very badly (Anakin in Phantom Menace) but overall Sabine and Ezra from Rebels are not too bad.  The first season of the show is very skippable (much like Clone Wars) but the second season on is all pretty great.  I was never a big Ahsoka Tano fan but her arc as an adult in Rebels was pretty amazing when combined with her fall in Clone Wars

4 hours ago, Alpha17 said:

I guess my mentality going into a game like this is different than others.  I don't want to recreate battles from the movies, I want to create my own battles in the SW universe instead.  

The consumerist mentality only increases each year, making people like us rarer I fear. The reality is, most people prefer to consume a product than interact with it.

Edited by TauntaunScout

36 minutes ago, TauntaunScout said:

The consumerist mentality only increases each year, making people like us rarer I fear. The reality is, most people prefer to consume a product than interact with it.

I don't really get what you two are going at here. You can still create your own battles with named characters. The only problem would be to let go of the canon, and do that what most kids do when playing with toys: Make everything up. When I played with star wars toys as a kid every weird thing that could happen did happen.  Yes I would like more generic stuff, but I don't see the problem with what we currently have. And I don't want to sound rude, but you really sound like some kind of Elitist with your last comment.

Edited by Vode

37 minutes ago, Vode said:

I don't really get what you two are going at here. You can still create your own battles with named characters. The only problem would be to let go of the canon, and do that what most kids do when playing with toys: Make everything up. When I played with star wars toys as a kid every weird thing that could happen did happen.  Yes I would like more generic stuff, but I don't see the problem with what we currently have. And I don't want to sound rude, but you really sound like some kind of Elitist with your last comment.

I don't like using named characters. But my bigger problem is lack of game balance. It seems in fact to be intentionally imbalanced. Partly as a sales technique. Partly because games designers want to tell us the "right" way to play. It seems they undercost things they think are "right" and overcost things they think are "wrong".

I dislike that the game's shaping up to be more about exploiting the lists than anything else. List building isn't tactics, it's math. Being a good general shouldn't be about figuring out which units are low priced compared to their abilities and loading up on them. We already have a lot of games on the market catering to those that like to do that, including Star Wars ones. So, it's downright bland that Legion is going that route. It's like how in boardgames, "good gameplay" is just a codeword for "Novel backstory with bidding and set collection." I don't need yet another boardgame about bidding and set collection, just like I didn't want another miniatures game about overlapping bubbles of buffery/debuffery, and exploiting the activation order to maximize my chances of causing wounds.

If I REALLY wanted to express my competitive side using math, I'd just play the stock market and win at real life.

They give us generic commanders, T-47's, and exhaust weapons that aren't really thought out. I'm not non-competitive, I'm anti-competitive. If someone like ME thinks the lists are getting imbalanced, it's got to be pretty bad. I was hoping by now some new stuff would make the old "unplayable" models make more sense but it's not shaping up that way. I don't like the attitude that anything is "unplayable" but even I'm getting convinced that it's a pointless waste of time to play a game using these models.

But I'm on the hook for it either way cause it's a little SW people game. Doesn't mean I have to uncritically accept all aspects of the game.

Edited by TauntaunScout

Okay, now I think I get where you are going at. And I certainly agree with some of the things you say. I was never a competive player and luckily neither were most of my friends. I never went to a tourney or even a local gaming store (mostly because there isn't even really one near me).

When I am list building, I only have one rule: Take what you think is cool, not what is best. If you know Bolt Action, I would be the guy who sinks more than half of his points in a veteran King Tiger, instead of a more versatile list. And in Legion it's the same for me. And since my opponents usually think similar, I think I might not have run into the same problems as you,as I see T-47 often and play AT-ST nearly every time. Now, I don't want to deny that said problems exist, and I would like a more balanced approach as well. 

Though, in my opinion it was clear that Legion was going to be as abusable as Xwing, since nearly every FFG games seem to be competitive as ****. In the end, most of these problems are entirely dependent of the opponents you get. Which is kinda sad. 

27 minutes ago, Vode said:

Okay, now I think I get where you are going at. And I certainly agree with some of the things you say. I was never a competive player and luckily neither were most of my friends. I never went to a tourney or even a local gaming store (mostly because there isn't even really one near me).

When I am list building, I only have one rule: Take what you think is cool, not what is best. If you know Bolt Action, I would be the guy who sinks more than half of his points in a veteran King Tiger, instead of a more versatile list. And in Legion it's the same for me. And since my opponents usually think similar, I think I might not have run into the same problems as you,as I see T-47 often and play AT-ST nearly every time. Now, I don't want to deny that said problems exist, and I would like a more balanced approach as well. 

Though, in my opinion it was clear that Legion was going to be as abusable as Xwing, since nearly every FFG games seem to be competitive as ****. In the end, most of these problems are entirely dependent of the opponents you get. Which is kinda sad. 

I haven't really noticed many problems since I too generally play casually against my friends and we just play whatever we think is cool.

I used to play competitive X-wing a lot (went to many regional events and store championships) but since 2nd edition came out I have dropped out of the competitive scene.  I have found my enjoyment of the game has gone up since I switched to just playing for fun.  I think that says more about my current taste in play style than it does about the game as a whole.

I don't think any game is going to be perfectly balanced and overall I think FFG does a decent job otherwise I wouldn't continue to buy into their merchandise.  I personally bought into Legion because Alex Davy was designing it and I enjoy how it utilizes card keywords and order of activation strategies. I also like the focus on named characters and heroes, but I can see how that would be annoying to people that aren't into that.

2 hours ago, Vode said:

The only problem would be to let go of the canon, and do that what most kids do when playing with toys: Make everything up. When I played with star wars toys as a kid every weird thing that could happen did happen.  Yes I would like more generic stuff, but I don't see the problem with what we currently have. 

So much this.

Star Wars Legion to me is just a grown up way of playing with plastic Star Wars toys and not being completely judged for it 😛 and I use the painting as “artistic expression” of course. :) 

When viewed in that context, I see no problem. But I’d love more generic stuff for me to try and come up with my Star Wars inspired (but not canon) interpretation. More officers, more troop variations, etc.

1 hour ago, Vode said:

When I am list building, I only have one rule: Take what you think is cool, not what is best.

Most of my legion games are casual. I walk the line between two worlds, as one group is pseudo competitive and the other is pure casual.

I always follow the same rule. The only times my AT-ST doesn’t come out to play is because I just have too many points sunk into something else I really want to try out. My last list I played was a Palp list where I fully loaded him out and sent him with IRG to be the a-bomb mid field. Couldn’t fit much into that list but I sure tried, and made sure for the laugh of it my rapid reinforcements was an eweb ready to be a machine gun nest....because I thought it’d be cool.

Every game I have brought Veers I’ve either brought Boba or an AT-ST (or both once!) I like to pick 1-2 centerpieces and then build a list with my collection that fits around it. Usually it’s Boba, a heavy, or a Sith Lord. I haven’t figure it out yet, but one list I WILL play both Boba and Bossk just for the laugh of it, even though at that point the list won’t be competitive at all. 

11 hours ago, Alpha17 said:

Possibly, but I don't see any other Star Wars war games that have fewer named characters running around, so this will have to do.  I said the same thing this summer when I wanted generic commanders and was told that generic commanders would never be a thing.  As I now play with a generic commander, I guess that wasn't entirely accurate, so maybe this game is big enough for both of us?

And I find filling half an army with named characters unacceptable, though I will not demand execution.  

Named characters are fine in small amounts, but I'd be far, far more interested in units of Imperial Navy or Army troopers, Clone Wars info, or Hoth Troopers than "Lizard dude that was Boba's punching bag" coming into the game. 

And you call yourself an Imperial!

I question your loyalty and dedication trooper.

1 hour ago, The Cocky Rooster said:

Yes.  So at least 2 more for each side coming.

I really don't think they're planning for Grand armies at all. The operative slot in general feels like a bit of an afterthought considering it wasn't mentioned in the game at release.

On 2/6/2019 at 10:28 PM, Animewarsdude said:

Padme being elected as Queen never made sense, especially at age 13. Well, no sense in universe or out of it it was just a case of her having to be young enough to be in a relationship with Anakin who was a boy. 

William of Orange was king from the moment he was born. Sure Padme was elected, but the films never spell out what that means — could just be the nobility giving just giving their stamp of approval so there’s no civil war or something.

1 hour ago, MasterShake2 said:

I really don't think they're planning for Grand armies at all. The operative slot in general feels like a bit of an afterthought considering it wasn't mentioned in the game at release.

I respectfully disagree. :)

57 minutes ago, Tayloraj100 said:

William of Orange was king from the moment he was born. Sure Padme was elected, but the films never spell out what that means — could just be the nobility giving just giving their stamp of approval so there’s no civil war or something.

Her backstory specifically indicates that she was raised from birth as a member of a ruling class, and she mentions not even being the youngest queen ever elected.

Does Sabine have a working jump backpack?

Im sure she is different from the mighty Fett in stats and cards but I hope there isn't an unspoken directive to balance the armies. They have one so the other side needs one or players will feel their army is lacking.

Aesthetically Fetts back-pack made him stand out and created the mystique and then when we saw it in use (briefly George!!!)  it added to his menace.

Often the unique units make an army what it is.

Not a gripe but an observation.