Mpori

ARC's dual cards

Hi guys!

Just wandering if theres any chance that the new ARC is coming with some sort of S-Foils dual card (besides crew dual cards). Have anyone seen if there's some kind of upgrade that grants better postionning inthe future expansion of the ARC?  

3 minutes ago, Mpori said:

Hi guys!

Just wandering if theres any chance that the new ARC is coming with some sort of S-Foils dual card (besides crew dual cards). Have anyone seen if there's some kind of upgrade that grants better postionning inthe future expansion of the ARC?  

From the announcement article picture it doesn't look like there is an S-foils type configuration card for the ARCs. The card all the way out on the right might be something like that but I wouldn't wager that way.

swz33_spread.png

4 minutes ago, XPav said:

It probably would have been in the Rebel Conversion Kit if so.

Maybe, unless they decided the advantages of it should only be given to the GR. The ARC-170s the Rebels had were aging and improvements from the use of s-foils might not be that great at that time. This feels pretty unlikely, though.

I think more likely is that they did not design an s-foil card for the ARC-170.

18 minutes ago, Frimmel said:

From the announcement article picture it doesn't look like there is an S-foils type configuration card for the ARCs. The card all the way out on the right might be something like that but I wouldn't wager that way.

swz33_spread.png

Don't the S-Foil cards have the pattern reversed from the other cards?

4 minutes ago, JJ48 said:

Configuration cards have their text/picture on the left, their upgrade slot and requirements on the right--opposite of all other upgrades.  This is true whether they're dual-cards like S-Foils, or single-sided, like OS-1 or XG-1 for Starwings.

//

I think there's been some speculation that Chancellor Palpatine/Darth Sidious might be a dual card who gets flipped under certain conditions, but I find a set of S-Foils for the ARC to be unlikely.  FFG has usually hinted at fancy things like game-changing configurations.

Edited by theBitterFig

The s-foils on an ARC literally don't do anything anyway.

On the X-Wings, the engines and guns change position in the different configurations. The little flaps on the ARCs don't change anything about how the ship performs. I really don't think there's any point trying to force that into some gameplay mechanic, when the ARC already has the gimmicks of the rear arc and being the only ship in the game capable of taking crew, gunner and astromech. 

6 minutes ago, JJ48 said:

Yes, that's why I'm saying it doesn't look like we'll get one from the pictures. Even in that announcement article there is a configuration card (Calibrated Laser Targeting) and it is as you note. All the upgrades in the picture are "right-hand" and thus theoretically not configurations. We don't have the whole story though (Is thirteen cards "light" for a $30 expansion?) and as noted face down cards in the picture so... 🤷‍♂️

The presence of Expert Handling suggests that is going to be the option for improved re-positioning over an S-foils type card. 

46 minutes ago, XPav said:

It probably would have been in the Rebel Conversion Kit if so.

not necessarily

if a card designed was finalized post conversion kit release...well, that's that then in'it?

more likely we'll get a rebel ARC kit released more or less concurrently with wave 3.

Though, as Frimmel pointed out, there doesn't seem to be a config card in there

1 hour ago, Mpori said:

Have anyone seen if there's some kind of upgrade that grants better postionning inthe future expansion of the ARC?  

there's that V-19 pilot that grants red boosts to allies, if that counts

1 hour ago, ficklegreendice said:

not necessarily

if a card designed was finalized post conversion kit release...well, that's that then in'it?

more likely we'll get a rebel ARC kit released more or less concurrently with wave 3.

Though, as Frimmel pointed out, there doesn't seem to be a config card in there

I don't think we're going to get Rebel ARCs as an early re-release. I think those would be well down the line. I'd think we get an OT Falcon and the A-wings, and B-wings, and then our Rebels contingent well before ARCs. I think we're going to have to go Republic if we want ARCs for several waves yet. 

54 minutes ago, svelok said:

there's that V-19 pilot that grants red boosts to allies, if that counts

Swoop. 

swz32_swoop.png

The Republic really feels like the most combined arms force thus far. I just get the idea that we'll have lots of lists that fly different but they'll all have two V-19s, a Delta, and an ARC. 

Thanks for all your comments, guys!

I'm really hoping for a nice mod that bumps positioning. I dont think it had to be the same S-Foils as for the T-65 or T-70, just given that the ARC is, somehow, like the gran ma of the X-Wing, some sort of advantage, because of changing config of the wings, could justify it... somehow ;)

1 hour ago, GuacCousteau said:

The s-foils on an ARC literally don't do anything anyway.

On the X-Wings, the engines and guns change position in the different configurations. The little flaps on the ARCs don't change anything about how the ship performs. I really don't think there's any point trying to force that into some gameplay mechanic, when the ARC already has the gimmicks of the rear arc and being the only ship in the game capable of taking crew, gunner and astromech. 

"During battle, the craft's S-foils opened to expose heat sinks and radiators to help cool the ship,"

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Aggressive_ReConnaissance-170_starfighter

Give the ARC some kind of heat based mechanic? Would that be too much like old BattleTech? :)

2 minutes ago, Koing907 said:

"During battle, the craft's S-foils opened to expose heat sinks and radiators to help cool the ship,"

Give the ARC some kind of heat based mechanic? Would that be too much like old BattleTech? :)

I think that idea pushes it too much towards what we have with the X-wings with losing a die closed and getting it back open. Some sort of heat mechanic is going to effect rate of fire and not accuracy so more dice. Then you have book-keeping as to how often you can get the extra dice. So the simple version is just another S-foils and we have two of those already. I think as a third version we're pushed more towards not getting an S-foils as it would be a bit of faction distinction to not have it.  

31 minutes ago, Koing907 said:

A ha! What about decreasing turns difficulty while s-foils open, minus red die. standard config with wings closed???

1 minute ago, Mpori said:

A ha! What about decreasing turns difficulty while s-foils open, minus red die. standard config with wings closed???

The ARC-170's "S_Foils" are meant to be open during combat to dump waste heat from its weapons and maneuvers, so closing them would result in a loss in firepower (to keep it from broiling the occupants and equipment) and maneuverability. The T-65 X-Wing's S-Foils were intended to, while open, dump the waste heat from the weapons, expand the "kill box" (the area where the cannons converge, on a T-65 with foils open it is allot larger than with them closed) for its weapons and make it more nimble due to the change in engine positions (they're mounted to the S-Foils). What you're outlining isn't even close to what the ARC used its S-Foils for.

51 minutes ago, Koing907 said:

Here's my problem with that retcon of why s-foils exist on an ARC-170 - why would they ever be closed? If heat is an issue, why not always vent the heat? Every moving part is another point of failure.

Clearly, it's really just "rule of cool", and a way of tying the ARCs to X-Wings, so them actually being there doesn't bother me. It's just the attempts to rationalize them that bother me. No thought was really put into it! They need more imagination :)

there's also no particular reason a config has to be flippable (see: delta 7 configs) or related to s-foils (see: gunboat configs)

it's basically just a ship ability who's text was too long to fit on the ship card, if ffg wanted a ship to have config options there's nothing limiting it to the description of moving parts (except insofar as where it fits the lore)

16 minutes ago, svelok said:

there's also no particular reason a config has to be flippable (see: delta 7 configs) or related to s-foils (see: gunboat configs)

Yes, but even though those configs don't flip they still have their images left justified. No such images so far for the ARC. 

swz34_calibrated-laser-targeting.png

Well I went looking for a gunboat config card and found this one exception to shoot my theory out the window. 

Card_Upgrade_158b.png

4 minutes ago, Frimmel said:

Well I went looking for a gunboat config card and found this one exception to shoot my theory out the window. 

Card_Upgrade_158b.png

That is the back side of the L3-37 crew upgrade so it is set up crew side up which has the same orientation as the other non-config upgrade cards.

Edited by Hiemfire

2 hours ago, Freeptop said:

Here's my problem with that retcon of why s-foils exist on an ARC-170 - why would they ever be closed? If heat is an issue, why not always vent the heat? Every moving part is another point of failure.

Clearly, it's really just "rule of cool", and a way of tying the ARCs to X-Wings, so them actually being there doesn't bother me. It's just the attempts to rationalize them that bother me. No thought was really put into it! They need more imagination :)

The same can be said for X-wing. Guns and engines change positions, yeah, but from a non-combat to combat, there is no benefit in closing the S-foils. Didn't stop FFG designers.