My understanding is that samurai don't generally pay for things. Instead, they ask their lord, who either provides them or doesn't.

You'd only "purchase" something from a peasant (probably by demanding they give it to you, as a samurai) and I'm not sure if the peasants would know how to make—let alone be permitted to keep—any of the special arrows.

Although, clearly, Samurai also DO pay for stuff. It is even the basis of techniques like Tributaries of Trade (you establish that you have previously procured an item... and pay for its price retroactively).

So in short, the price (and rarity) of special arrows is missing from the book. No choice but to make them up. I'd say rarity 2 or 3 (a regular quiver of arrows is rarity 1) and at most 1 bu apiece, but that will depend on where you are and if such implements are likely to be lying around.

1 hour ago, Franwax said:

Although, clearly, Samurai also DO pay for stuff.

Well, a samurai travelling outside his lord's estate would probably give a few bu to refill his quiver. But his lord would lose face if wasn't able to provide armor and weapons for his men.

So samurai DO NOT ALWAYS pay for stuff.

But I agree price is missing.

Also in cities, where markets are a thing, it's possibly that the lord handles it differently.

Also, those who have attendants or servants would get the servants to buy what is needed. No mere samurai would stoop to buying something. But giving a servant some koku to do visit hte market, and btw, buy those arrowz please, now that is acceptable.

Unless you're a Yasuki, Mantis or perhaps Daidoji. Then you buy all the stuff.

3 hours ago, Horvagab said:

No mere samurai would stoop to buying something.

Buying something? Probably not. Being "given" something and giving some money in return to express gratitude? Not much wrong with that. You're not paying for something, you're rewarding someone because they were helpful.

2 hours ago, nameless ronin said:

Buying something? Probably not. Being "given" something and giving some money in return to express gratitude? Not much wrong with that. You're not paying for something, you're rewarding someone because they were helpful.

Exactly. It's a courtesy thing. As a samurai, nominally you're entitled to take something from a peasant that you need.

However, said peasant has a lord. If that lord isn't you, then arguably at worst you're stealing from that lord, at best you're inconveniencing one of his servants.

The whole "claim it back from your lord" option exists, but doesn't really hold up for a handful of arrows, since the cost of doing so is more than the amount you'd get back from doing so, and the whole thing would feel rather petty.

Just paying for the little things - however you dress it up  - when you don't have a lord's generosity to draw upon causes the least disruption and disharmony in society, and hence is normally the better approach.

1 minute ago, Magnus Grendel said:

Exactly. It's a courtesy thing. As a samurai, nominally you're entitled to take something from a peasant that you need. 

That gets a little more complex if the item is something the peasant doesn't have, but might need making (like fancy arrows for example),

And even weirder if it's something like a katana which might need to be commissioned from a samurai with smithing skills (though an exchange of gifts, or receiving it from your lord is very appropriate here),

4 minutes ago, gareth_lazelle said:

That gets a little more complex if the item is something the peasant doesn't have, but might need making (like fancy arrows for example),

Well, that's just adding "labour time" to the stuff you're taking, I guess.

4 minutes ago, gareth_lazelle said:

And even weirder if it's something like a katana which might need to be commissioned from a samurai with smithing skills

Indeed. Technically, the same social status stuff would apply - so a lower status Samurai should defer to you - but the same restrictions apply, and even more strongly.

A Samurai of a different clan isn't going to hand over a bundle of swords and armour to a potential enemy without his lord's say-so, for example, and is much less susceptible to intimidation if you decide to get stroppy about it.

9 minutes ago, gareth_lazelle said:

And even weirder if it's something like a katana which might need to be commissioned from a samurai with smithing skills (though an exchange of gifts, or receiving it from your lord is very appropriate here),

Commissioning isn't much different from buying: you express your need for something, the artisan confirms he will be honored to help you out, and you "reward" him afterwards. Or you "give him what he needs to continue practicing his craft". All parties involved know what's going on, they either accept it as such or there's simply a silent agreement to keep up appearances. A very lowly peasant might not quite know how to do this properly, but they still wouldn't be disrespectful enough to outright demand payment - they might explain that the work involved will keep them from being able to feed their family at most, but more likely they'll go along with the request and hope the samurai will act with honor. If a samurai consistently stiffs merchants and peasants, this will eventually get back to his lord (or theirs, as the case may be, but then that lord will probably be letting his lord know if an opportunity arises and the behaviour has been bad enough) and there will be consequences: probably glory loss, maybe reassignment to a post where the samurai is less likely to cause embarrassment. PCs shouldn't expect to get away with not paying for items their lord doesn't provide - however, that doesn't mean they are openly engaging in commercial transactions.

Not available yet, but they exist in previous editions (willow leaf arrow, armor piercing, signal arrow, rope cutter, etc.). I'd probably house rule the effects (reduce resistance by 1, extend range by 1 band, allow spend opportunity to cut rope, etc). Hopefully the price is consistent across editions, or just extrapolate based on the current price of standard arrows. Wish I had the books in front of me to provide more specific answers.

Player's Guide: 2nd Ed, p. 252
Book of air, p. 31

Roleplaying in the Emerald Empire, p. 123
Legend of the Five Rings: 3rd Ed, p. 172.

7 hours ago, Franwax said:

Just for clarity, armor piercing, flesh cutter and humming bulb are in the 5e book. Just not their price and rarity ;)

Rope cutter would be nice. 

Thanks Franwax, I'll have to see how close my ad hoc rules are to actual.