01jbell

6 TIE swarm.

Hi, 

i am looking to fly a TIE swarm kind of list at a local tournment tomorrow. I have currently penciled the following together i want to see if people think it may hold up ok. 

it is 6 tie and my current idea is to fly it in a 3 row 2 colloum lay out so not the normal wide tie swarm if that makes sense. 

“Howlrunner” — TIE/ln Fighter 40
Juke 5
Ship Total: 45
Half Points: 23 Threshold: 2

Del Meeko — TIE/ln Fighter 30
Juke 5
Ship Total: 35
Half Points: 18 Threshold: 2

Black Squadron Ace — TIE/ln Fighter 26
Crack Shot 1
Ship Total: 27
Half Points: 14 Threshold: 2

Juke 5
Ship Total: 31
Half Points: 16 Threshold: 2

Juke 5

Juke 5

I am not sure if i should just go Tie spam and spam as many naked ties as possible instead of juke and the higher IN of 3.

any adivce or tips would be great 

Kind regards. 

With a swarm the more the merrier. In my opinion anyways. I certainly don’t like Juke on the TIEs they just won’t get enough mileage from it. I know Ruthless can be brutal with a swarm. 

If your local meta isn’t using a lot of I2/i3 ships you might as well drop down to academies and fill with additional ships or mix some in at any rate. As you’ll get basically the same effects with more bodies

Then yes. If you can take her in a generic Omicron Group Pilot and 6 academy pilots it's a very imposing swarm - and leaves you enough points to put Minister Tua in the shuttle too, with a Hull Upgrade - she then moves at the same initiative as the academy pilots (useful to avoid - or cause - bumping) and if your opponent tries to take her out first, Tua makes your reinforce action free after you take damage, and chewing through 7 hull behind a reinforce token is no small job.

•  Black Squadron Ace - (26)
        Ruthless (1)
   •  Black Squadron Ace - (26)
        Ruthless (1)
   •  Black Squadron Ace - (26)
        Ruthless (1)

•  Black Squadron Ace - (26)
        Intimidation (3)
  •  Black Squadron Ace - (26)
        Intimidation (3)

• Omicron Group Pilot - (43)
        Tractor Beam (2)
        •Admiral Sloane (10)
        •ST-321 (4)

Total: 198/200

The problem is that the Omicron will be reducing a target's agility with that tractor beam after everyone else has already fired. I'd probably downgrade the intimidation blockers to more ruthless (so you can block with whoever and more importantly shoot effectively with whoever you can get into position).

By comparison Lieutenant Sai is initiative 3, same as the Black Squadron Pilots, so you can chop and change movement order, and the Lieutenant's ability lets you co-ordinate a focus, get a focus on the shuttle, then snag a free target lock too, for a focus/locked tractor attack before whomping the target with many ruthless shots.

• Black Squadron Ace x 5
    • Ruthless
  • Lieutenant Sai
    • ST-321
    • Tractor Beam
    • Admiral Sloane
    • Electronic Baffle

(The baffle isn't that great since you're damaging your own ship, but an initiative bid isn't that big a deal with initiative 3 pilots and trying to turn corners in a bloody White Space Cow is)

I'm wanting to keep the following Hyperspace legal.

Has anyone tried something similar to this:

TIE Reaper - Captain Feroph w/ Ruthless, Seventh Sister, Tactical Officer, Shield upgrade

Total - 63

Black Squadron Ace w/ Ruthless x5

Total - 135

Build total 198

I've been running seven TIES, all with Ruthless (4x Black, Del Meeko, Hask and Rudor, but thought I'd start looking at shuttle or reaper variants of that.)

Also, I'm not tied... sorry... to the upgrades on Feroph.

Kevin

I'll let Magnus respond more in detail, because my experience with it is limited.

The short answer is "not quite."

The slightly longer answer is through the judicious use of Ruthless you're generating enough extra hits to seriously damage or destroy your targets, before you destroy your own ships.

Also keep in mind that ships taking damage don't come off the board until all ships at a given Initiative have finished shooting.

In the seven TIE List there are two I4s and five I3s. So for example, when the I3s are shooting none will be removed until all of the I3s have finished shooting.

It's perfectly legal to stack more than three damage cards on one of the I3s, once the I3s have started shooting.

13 hours ago, underling said:

The slightly longer answer is through the judicious use of Ruthless you're generating enough extra hits to seriously damage or destroy your targets, before you destroy your own ships.

This.

Ruthless isn't an "at every opportunity" ability. If you get 2 hits on a range 1 attack, you can justify adding a 3rd. Adding 1 to a blank roll is just borrowing trouble because your opponent will probably dodge it.

It's very powerful, but painful to use. As opposed to Crack Shot, which is "free" to use but one use and....not exactly hard to use but lining up multiple bullseyes on the same target (which you need to actually get the kills) is hard.

I don't want to derail the original post too much, but here's another take on six TIEs.

Stele w/Marksmanship, FCS (49)

Mithel w/Ruthless (33)

Skutu w/Ruthless (33)

Black Sq. w/Ruthless (27) x3

Total 196

The above still gives you five TIEs with Ruthless, three I5 ships and a decent bid.