Synnical

New Player Squad List Help

Hi all, 

I am a new player and just purchased the 2.0 core set. I am struggling to find a competitive list that is 2.0 only. I am trying to avoid buying a conversion kit. I am open to any faction but I am leaning towards Galactic Empire. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks

I don't actually fly imperials, but I think for Hyperspace, you would probably want a Tie Advanced and a Tie Reaper.  Those two expansions, plus the core set TIEs, can build you this:

Darth Vader — TIE Advanced x1 65
Fire-Control System 2
Afterburners 6
Ship Total: 73
Half Points: 37 Threshold: 3

Valen Rudor — TIE/ln Fighter 28
Squad Leader 8
Ship Total: 36
Half Points: 18 Threshold: 2

“Night Beast” — TIE/ln Fighter 26
Ship Total: 26
Half Points: 13 Threshold: 2

Major Vermeil — TIE Reaper 49
Juke 5
Death Troopers 6
Ship Total: 60
Half Points: 30 Threshold: 4

https://raithos.github.io/?f=Galactic Empire&d=v5!s!173:-1,113,-1,105:;225:131,-1:;226:-1:;183:123,27,-1,-1:&sn=Unnamed Squadron&obs=

For a bigger bid, drop Death Troopers or Squad Leader I'd say. Vader can get a ton of actions and the force. Vermeil is strong with juke. Night Beast can focus evade by himself and Valen can coordinate during the engagement phase.

Not exactly sure what the Meta for Hyperspace will be, but I imagine this would do all right, and is on the cheaper end, as you only need two more expansions.

I think this would work. Fly the TIEs in formation. Howlrunner gives the TIEs some punch. Iden keeps howlrunner alive.

Vader can go for a flank.

Darth Vader — TIE Advanced x1

Fire-Control System 2
Ship Total: 67
Half Points: 34 Threshold: 3

“Howlrunner” — TIE/ln Fighter 40
Ship Total: 40
Half Points: 20 Threshold: 2

Iden Versio — TIE/ln Fighter 40
Ship Total: 40
Half Points: 20 Threshold: 2

Academy Pilot — TIE/ln Fighter 23
Ship Total: 23
Half Points: 12 Threshold: 2

Academy Pilot — TIE/ln Fighter 23
Ship Total: 23

Half Points: 12 Threshold: 2

I suggest buying the TIE/ln Fighter Expansion Pack and the TIE Advanced X1 Expansion Pack to get all Tie/ln pilots (They are not all in the core set) and enough ships to create a decent list.

Vader, Howlrunner, Iden Versio and Seyn Marana would make a good start for that list. 

Edited by Wrecker01

16 hours ago, Synnical said:

Hi all, 

I am a new player and just purchased the 2.0 core set. I am struggling to find a competitive list that is 2.0 only. I am trying to avoid buying a conversion kit. I am open to any faction but I am leaning towards Galactic Empire. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks

If all you have is the 2nd Ed. Core then just mess with the squad-builder making Hyperspace Empire lists till you find something you like and then get the additional expansions to build that. Note that the Reaper is a Hybrid expansion with both 1st Ed. and 2nd Ed components.

(FFG please note this player is one of the main reason why the collection tracker should tie (pun intended) with the squad-builder better.)

What is your budget for getting more stuff? I think you can create a full constructed list just adding a TIE Advanced. Don't forget to consider an additional 2nd Ed. Core set. That's two more TIEs and more dice and tokens. Starting from scratch and wanting to play Empire it is a good choice. 

5 hours ago, Frimmel said:

If all you have is the 2nd Ed. Core then just mess with the squad-builder making Hyperspace Empire lists till you find something you like and then get the additional expansions to build that. Note that the Reaper is a Hybrid expansion with both 1st Ed. and 2nd Ed components.

(FFG please note this player is one of the main reason why the collection tracker should tie (pun intended) with the squad-builder better.)

What is your budget for getting more stuff? I think you can create a full constructed list just adding a TIE Advanced. Don't forget to consider an additional 2nd Ed. Core set. That's two more TIEs and more dice and tokens. Starting from scratch and wanting to play Empire it is a good choice. 

So I went ahead and bought the Empire conversion kit. Then I picked up 4 - Tie fighters and 1 - Tie Advance from a local player for $20. So I think I have a great start to building anything I want for Empire. I am still looking to but  Reaper ship. 

28 minutes ago, Synnical said:

So I went ahead and bought the Empire conversion kit. Then I picked up 4 - Tie fighters and 1 - Tie Advance from a local player for $20. So I think I have a great start to building anything I want for Empire. I am still looking to but  Reaper ship. 

The 1e main page shows that they have some still in stock, at least US side. 

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/products/x-wing/

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/products/x-wing/products/tie-reaper-expansion-pack/

Strangely they've never advertised the crossover expansions (TIE Reaper and Saw's Renegades are compatible with both 1e and 2e, though there has been some errata to the cords in Saw's Renegades) on the Second Edition main site.

Edited by Hiemfire

9 hours ago, Synnical said:

And that would be the other way to go about this. You're in pretty good shape for either Hyperspace or Extended it sounds. You're free to pick up 1e expansions or 1e used ships and to add 2nd Ed. expansions. Look for shops like our FLGS who are offering buy one get one half off on 1E expansions.

Good Luck and welcome to the party. 

9 hours ago, Hiemfire said:

Strangely they've never advertised the crossover expansions (TIE Reaper and Saw's Renegades are compatible with both 1e and 2e, though there has been some errata to the cords in Saw's Renegades) on the Second Edition main site.

I noticed that as well when getting the link I shared above. I was rather surprised at that. Though since the packaging is very different it didn't seem that odd. Like they didn't want to confuse new players and figured they'd figure it out maybe?

I also noticed that if in the official squad-builder if you go to "My Collection" there is just a picture of the Reaper model while for Saw's Renegades there is a picture of the expansion in 2E packaging. If you click the provided link it sends you to a product page with the 1E packaging but the directory structure going "up" has it under 2nd Ed. It is the same for the Reaper. Yet, you can't drill down to those expansions through the 2nd Ed. product page. 

SWZ02_small.png

Flying a Tie swarm can be complex when you're getting started.  Now that you've got the conversion kit, consider some of the better aces if you're playing extended.  Vader is a good one with the Advanced or Maarek.  Consider the Tie Phantom - both Whisper and even the generics are viable.  Throw the Juke upgrade on to get started.  Also consider the Tie Defender.  It's a bit over-costed, but it'll cut down on the number of ships you need to fly and its a great beginner ship that is going to be tough for people you play against.  Rexler Brath is probably the best option, but Ryad and Vessery are also good ships. Then you can fly something like what's below.  This introduces you to some other ship mechanics and you can try out additional upgrades as you get used to the ships.  When you're starting out, it helps to have ships that are a little more forgiving and fewer ships so you're not setting dials for 5-6 ships and trying to not bump into each other and coordinate an attack.  These ships are also all the same initiative (I5), so you can activate or engage with them in any order you want and change that order from turn to turn.  This really makes things easier, even when you get into more complex lists.

TIE/ph Phantom - •“Whisper” - 59
    •“Whisper” - Soft-Spoken Slayer (54)
        Juke (5)

TIE/D Defender - •Rexler Brath - 91
    •Rexler Brath - Onyx Leader (82)
        Juke (5)
        Heavy Laser Cannon (4)

TIE Advanced x1 - •Maarek Stele - 48
    •Maarek Stele - Servant of the Empire (46)
        Fire-Control System (2)

Total: 198/200

Edited by dadocollin

1 hour ago, dadocollin said:

Flying a Tie swarm can be complex when you're getting started.  Now that you've got the conversion kit, consider some of the better aces if you're playing extended.  Vader is a good one with the Advanced or Maarek.  Consider the Tie Phantom - both Whisper and even the generics are viable.  Throw the Juke upgrade on to get started.  Also consider the Tie Defender.  It's a bit over-costed, but it'll cut down on the number of ships you need to fly and its a great beginner ship that is going to be tough for people you play against.  Rexler Brath is probably the best option, but Ryad and Vessery are also good ships. Then you can fly something like what's below.  This introduces you to some other ship mechanics and you can try out additional upgrades as you get used to the ships.  When you're starting out, it helps to have ships that are a little more forgiving and fewer ships so you're not setting dials for 5-6 ships and trying to not bump into each other and coordinate an attack.  These ships are also all the same initiative (I5), so you can activate or engage with them in any order you want and change that order from turn to turn.  This really makes things easier, even when you get into more complex lists.

TIE/ph Phantom - •“Whisper” - 59
    •“Whisper” - Soft-Spoken Slayer (54)
        Juke (5)

TIE/D Defender - •Rexler Brath - 91
    •Rexler Brath - Onyx Leader (82)
        Juke (5)
        Heavy Laser Cannon (4)

TIE Advanced x1 - •Maarek Stele - 48
    •Maarek Stele - Servant of the Empire (46)
        Fire-Control System (2)

Total: 198/200

This is very helpful because I tried to fly tie swarm with Vader last night. It was only my 3rd game it was more challenging trying to keep up and remember everything. I like the idea of 3 ships then ramp up to tie swarm or something like that. 

Now I just need to find me some lose ships (Phantom and Defender).

40 minutes ago, Synnical said:

This is very helpful because I tried to fly tie swarm with Vader last night. It was only my 3rd game it was more challenging trying to keep up and remember everything. I like the idea of 3 ships then ramp up to tie swarm or something like that. 

Now I just need to find me some lose ships (Phantom and Defender).

There are some good videos on YouTube about the basics of flying swarms in formation, but it's hard at the start.  The Defender also has a white 4K move so it can very easily turn around, which is forgiving if you set your dial incorrectly one round or just make a bad move.  It's built in ability also gives it a free evade action if you make a 3-5 speed move, so it makes it even harder to hit (it already has 3 green dice) and you can take an additional action. (NOTE: You can't take a second evade action in the same round.  The rules state you can only do each action once per round. This is a common mistake new players make with the Defender. But you can still focus, lock, or reposition.)

The Phantom has cloaking, but it'll be good to learn that mechanic so you'll be ready for it when you go up against them.  Of all the imperial ships, the Phantom has perhaps seen the most top-tier flying in second edition.

1 hour ago, dadocollin said:

There are some good videos on YouTube about the basics of flying swarms in formation, but it's hard at the start.  The Defender also has a white 4K move so it can very easily turn around, which is forgiving if you set your dial incorrectly one round or just make a bad move.  It's built in ability also gives it a free evade action if you make a 3-5 speed move, so it makes it even harder to hit (it already has 3 green dice) and you can take an additional action. (NOTE: You can't take a second evade action in the same round.  The rules state you can only do each action once per round. This is a common mistake new players make with the Defender. But you can still focus, lock, or reposition.)

The Phantom has cloaking, but it'll be good to learn that mechanic so you'll be ready for it when you go up against them.  Of all the imperial ships, the Phantom has perhaps seen the most top-tier flying in second edition.

Any idea on the best place to buy loose ships since I already have the conversion kit? I still need Defender, Phantom, and reaper.

9 minutes ago, Synnical said:

Any idea on the best place to buy loose ships since I already have the conversion kit? I still need Defender, Phantom, and reaper.

Both of these ships are almost the same price new at this point, especially the Phantom.  You can get a new Phantom on Amazon for $12.89.  The Tie Defender is around $15 new, maybe $9-13 used on eBay.  I also buy miniatures from coolstuff.com.  They have Defenders for $12.79. At this point, there was so much clearance on the 1.0 ships, that the new stock that's left is priced well in many cases.