Sign in to follow this  
elbmc1969

Deleted

"Assign Targets: After Setup, each player whose commander does not have a “friendly” effect must choose one opponent. The “enemy” effect of that commander only resolves against ships or squadrons controlled by the chosen opponent."

admiral-konstantine.png

As far as I'm understanding, he's gonna work pretty much the same. The opponent you choose may have some extra points in their fleet, so may an extra ship to help the effect, but his effect only works on a single opponent's fleet (not the whole team), so in big team play matches pretty much the same?

Edited by Darth Sanguis

9 minutes ago, Darth Sanguis said:

admiral-konstantine.png

As far as I'm understanding, he's gonna work pretty much the same. The opponent you choose may have some extra points in their fleet, so may an extra ship to help the effect, but his effect only works on a single opponent's fleet (not the whole team), so in big team play matches pretty much the same?

Yeah, that's how I read it, though I do wonder if the trigger for this is slightly better - as you have more "friendly" ships on your side to help you trigger?  Or does that mean the "friendly" part kicks in and only refers to your own ships?

Edited by Aahz 1
My bad

Hmm.  Well, I agree that's the likely intent of the rules taken all together, I wish they had simply FAQd Konstantine to make that explicit because if you read the specific rules, I don't think it actually says it has to be taken that way.  Specifically:

Allied Fleets: Each team’s total forces consist of multiple
individual fleets, each with its own commander. Each fleet
is exclusively controlled by its player as an individual fleet.
Ships and squadrons from a player’s fleet treat ships and
squadrons from other players’ fleets on the same team as
friendly, with the following exceptions:

[So, generally, treat other players' ships on your side as "friendly" except...]

• A commander’s “friendly” effect can only be resolved by
ships and squadrons of the controlling player’s fleet (see
the Assign Targets rule below).
• Effects that set aside friendly ships and squadrons can
only set aside ships and squadrons of the controlling
player’s fleet.

[Okay, so if your commander has a "friendly" effect, it can only be resolved by your own ships, not your teammates.  Ackbar clearly can't give his teammates' ships extra dice for side only attacks.  However, Konstantine is not a "friendly" effect.  His rule is below]

Ships and squadrons from a player’s fleet count ships and
squadrons from players’ fleets on the opposing team as
enemy.

Assign Targets: After Setup, each player whose commander
does not have a “friendly” effect must choose one
opponent. The “enemy” effect of that commander only
resolves against ships or squadrons controlled by the
chosen opponent.

[So this part of the rule clearly applies to Konstantine.  His ability can only target one of other team's players - not every player on the other team.  However, that doesn't answer how to read the "trigger" for this "enemy" effect.  The text says:  "At the star of each Status Phase, for each enemy ship at distance 1-5 of at least 2 friendly medium or large ships, you may increase or decrease that enemy's ship's speed by 1 to a minimum of speed 1."  They didn't say that "friendly" triggers for "enemy" effects count only your ships. In fact, the default rule that begins all of this suggests that they should be treated as friendly.  All that rule lawyering, aside, though,  I agree that is probably what they meant to happen in this circumstance but I do think there's an argument to be made that the rules allow you to trigger with your allies' ships.]

Konstantine's Card says:

At the start of each Status Phase, for each enemy ship at distance 1-5 of at least 2 friendly medium or large ships, you may increase or decrease that enemy ship's speed by 1 to a minimum of speed 1.

The New rule for targets says:

Assign Targets: After Setup, each player whose commander does not have a “friendly” effect must choose one opponent...

So the question is "does Admiral Konstantine have a "friendly" effect?"

Answer, yes. Konstantine has a "friendly" effect, assuming that by "friendly effect" they mean "something that works with friendly ships."*

As such, the "Assign Targets" step doesn't apply. So Konstantine works on any enemy ship that is within distance 1-5 of at least 2 of Konstantine's medium or large ships.

And this is consistent with the FAQ. The clarification to Konstantine is a clarification (so explaining how the card works) not an erratum (changing how it works). The phrasing of the All-Out Offensive rules is substantially the same as the Sector Fleet rules. So if the All-Out Offensive/Konstantine combination works on any enemy ship, the Sector Fleet/Konstantine combination should work the same.

*Without the FAQ clarification I can see the argument that Konstantine isn't a "friendly" effect because he doesn't actually change the ships. But the clarification makes it clear that it is considered to be an effect.

Edited by Grumbleduke

12 minutes ago, Grumbleduke said:

Konstantine's Card says:

The New rule for targets says:

So the question is "does Admiral Konstantine have a "friendly" effect?"

Answer, yes. Konstantine has a "friendly" effect, assuming that by "friendly effect" they mean "something that works with friendly ships."*

As such, the "Assign Targets" step doesn't apply. So Konstantine works on any enemy ship that is within distance 1-5 of at least 2 of Konstantine's medium or large ships.

And this is consistent with the FAQ. The clarification to Konstantine is a clarification (so explaining how the card works) not an erratum (changing how it works). The phrasing of the All-Out Offensive rules is substantially the same as the Sector Fleet rules. So if the All-Out Offensive/Konstantine combination works on any enemy ship, the Sector Fleet/Konstantine combination should work the same.

*Without the FAQ clarification I can see the argument that Konstantine isn't a "friendly" effect because he doesn't actually change the ships. But the clarification makes it clear that it is considered to be an effect.

I stand corrected. Yes, I agree, based on the FAQ clarification to Konstatine, his effect should impact all enemy players ships so long as 2 of his controller’s fleet’s ships are in range. Well done!