Sign in to follow this  
alboy

Windlord Amulet

ln the new expansion coming soon lt says, add 2 to your Craft during psychic combat, it also says if you defeat another character & force him to lose a life the character cannot use Armour to prevent the lose of life. l thought  a character can not use Armour in a psychic combat anyway.

alboy said:

ln the new expansion coming soon lt says, add 2 to your Craft during psychic combat, it also says if you defeat another character & force him to lose a life the character cannot use Armour to prevent the lose of life. l thought  a character can not use Armour in a psychic combat anyway.

It applies to winning a battle as well. Windlord Amulet doesn't allow its owner to attack via psychic combat is s/he already doesn't have that ability.

alboy said:

l thought  a character can not use Armour in a psychic combat anyway.

In the Frostmarch expansion there were peices of armour which prevent from losing a life even in a psychic combat.

alboy said:

l do not read it that way, l think they have made a mistake on the card.

No error.

If you use the Winlord Amulet in psychic combat against another character, they cannot use any Armour to prevent loss of life.

The Helm of Warding and Mirror Shield (Frostmarch Expansion) are items of Armour which are used in psychic combat.

Ell.

If you use the Winlord Amulet in psychic combat against another character, they cannot use any Armour to prevent loss of life.

So the Windlord Amulet doesn't work in battle? The wording isn't very clear then.

I think the wording's very clear.

"If you defeat another character, and force him to lose a life, the character cannot use armour to prevent the loss of life"

It neither specifies psychic combat or battle, so therefore it applies to both, as long as you choose to take a life.

IMO the amulet doesn't allow you to use armor if defeated in psychic combat (frostmarch special armors) AND if you are defeated in battle too.

so if player A has amulet and encounters player B, then A attack with battle or ps. combat, B cannot use any kind of armor to prevent life loss.

How is a person supposed to know this if he does not have the Frostmarch expansion and he buys The Highland expansion first. l still think the card is wrong or they would of mentioned the other cards from Frostmarch. Also l still think you can not use it in battle. 

I don't think it's an error.

the card is clear IMO: it has 2 effects:

1) it gives +2 craft in psychic combat, started by you or not.

2) if you defeat a character he cannot use any armor.

where do you see something about it cannot be used in battle? they would write "if you defeat a charachter by psychic combat etc.etc.". If there is no specific mention, it applies to both battle and psichic combat.If you use it that way,  that's no reason to talk about frostmarch: every armor is useless when defeated by a charachter with the amulet, never mind if attacked by strength or craft.

happy.gif

air show said:

I don't think it's an error.

the card is clear IMO: it has 2 effects:

1) it gives +2 craft in psychic combat, started by you or not.

2) if you defeat a character he cannot use any armor.

I agree

it's no error indeed

this aplies for a armour used in battle and a armor used in psychic combat.

If someone with a psychic attack ability is attacking a character, and the opponent must lose a life, then he can not use a armor in psychic combat.

In other words, this armour  has no restrictions, and it's a powerful object.

PS: This topic belong in the rules topic...

alboy said:

Where does it say you can use it in battle.

It's wording implies that it's usable during battle.

It simply refers to a characters defeat. The primary ways, and probably only ways at the moment, to defeat a character are either battle or psychic combat. Therefore in order to have defeated a character, and the amulet becomes usable, you must either have won a battle or a psychic combat.

Rimmer said:

So the Windlord Amulet doesn't work in battle? The wording isn't very clear then.

I agree. Though it can be worked out that it applies to "psychic" armor, the wording should have been more specific to "cannot use any Armour for Psychic Combat to prevent loss of life."  A very simple three extra words could have avoided some minor confusion.

If by chance it applies to Armour for Battle, then it makes no sense versus standards already set in the game.  And again, extra wording could have clarified it; there was room for it.

It's a little disconcerting to have to go to an FAQ approach before the expansion is even released.

I think that the key fact is that Windlord Amulet is a Weapon which can be used only during an attack (rules p. 12). Adding +2 to craft during psychic combat makes it usless in battle so in my opinion we can not use it against other character and inhibit him of using an armour in battle. Moreover on FFG latest news it is not mentioed about battle only that it  "can greatly aid its wielder in psychic combat". If they planed add second ability to that magic object I think they surely wrote about it in current preview - it is usually detailed. But of course spliting both sentence by the line may looks that this are 2 different abbilities...

Daring Dragoon said:

The two abilities are seperate from each other. If the card only said the second ability, and didn't mention psychic combat in the first ability, would you still assume that it only applies to psychic combat?

Yes, because you've now made the obvious mistake of taking the second ability outside of the context in which it was written.  That's not going to wash with anyone; context always matters... always. The card should be taken as a whole, as it is not a character card with visually separated "abilities."  That combined with the amulet being for Craft -- for Pyschic Combat -- sets it outside the realm of Battle by all known game rules and standards.  The implication is there, even if we didn't have citations posted about FFG comments on the matter.

Again, a variation that crosses widely implied standards of a game should be explicit. That's just good writing... or editing. But with any luck, this will be the only such vague card in the expansion.

JCHendee said:

Yes, because you've now made the obvious mistake of taking the second ability outside of the context in which it was written.  That's not going to wash with anyone; context always matters... always. The card should be taken as a whole, as it is not a character card with visually separated "abilities."  That combined with the amulet being for Craft for Pyschic Combat sets it outside the realm of Battle by all known game rules and standards.  The implication is there, even if we didn't have citations posted about FFG comments on the matter.

I think you're the one making the mistake.  The game rules make no mention of any weapons being usable only in battle or in psychic combat.  The rule is one weapon per attack - that's it.  You could technically (by the rules) use a sword in psychic combat - it just wont have any effect.

The weapon in discussion increases your fighting abilities in two ways.  The first only affects psychic combats, the second only affects attacks where in your opponent is a character (carrying applicable armour), you win, and you chose to take a life.  That's mostly useless I think (usually you attack somebody to take their stuff), but will have the occasional application.

The windlord Amulet used in battle has the additional draw back that if you use it you can't use any other weapon.  Another good weapon, which increases your strength.

JCHendee said:

Yes, because you've now made the obvious mistake of taking the second ability outside of the context in which it was written.  That's not going to wash with anyone; context always matters... always. The card should be taken as a whole, as it is not a character card with visually separated "abilities."  That combined with the amulet being for Craft for Pyschic Combat sets it outside the realm of Battle by all known game rules and standards.  The implication is there, even if we didn't have citations posted about FFG comments on the matter.

Again, a variation that crosses widely implied standards of a game should be explicit. That's just good writing... or editing. But with any luck, this will be the only such vague card in the expansion.

Yes, but on other cards that have a similar line seperating two abilities, the two are unrelated. The cross's ability to destroy spirits has nothing to do with its ability to protect you from losing a life at the graveyard or chapel. The many cards that have restricted alignment have other abilities that have nothing to do with alignment. Every card with multiple abilities has them completely seperate unless one ability explicitly references the other (as with the Holy Lance).

Daring Dragoon said:

JCHendee said:

Yes, but on other cards that have a similar line seperating two abilities, the two are unrelated. The cross's ability to destroy spirits has nothing to do with its ability to protect you from losing a life at the graveyard or chapel. The many cards that have restricted alignment have other abilities that have nothing to do with alignment. Every card with multiple abilities has them completely seperate unless one ability explicitly references the other (as with the Holy Lance).

When I first read this argument I thought oh yes use it in any combat:( psychic combat or battle) and that means you can't use armour to defend it just means if its normal combat then you get no adds from using a weapon.

Then I read Daring Dragoon and thought hold on what did Dreadwing say and realised that the second "if" attribute referenced the top one, looked through the deck and the "if" attribute referenced the top one. So I thought oh right it meand psychic combat and not a battle.

Then I came across Ice Fang: the top attribute is add 1 to craft in psychic combat and then the second attribute says "If you defeat a charcater in psychic combat".

So my conclusion: the wording on the card is yes the second part does reference the top part but it doesnt matter as the second part states "If you defeat another character and force him to lose a life" it applies to both psychic combat and a battle.

Now heres the but....I think it was actually meant to refer to psychic combat only, due to the "The Windlord Amulet is a powerful magic weapon that can greatly aid its wielder in psychic combat" comment and also there may be psychic combat armour in this expansion too, and so clarification should be given by FFG but when i play until that time the house rule will be psychic combat only.

H.