Darth Sanguis

Alert All Commands! New article!

2 hours ago, FortyInRed said:

I may be missing something but I don't see a big ole starship (the Bellator is big, right?) on my copy of Expanded Hangar Bay. Did they update the card or am I missing it?

They mean the alt art promo.

assertor_class_dreadnought_by_balance_sh

Edited by The Jabbawookie
Aaaaaaand I’m blind to the previous comment.

That's the one - except they flipped it, probably to fit better with the text.

Much of the art for Armada is existing art, sometimes fan art, sometimes previous FFG commissions. My favourite random Armada trivia at the moment is that the Annihilator and Ravager images are actually from the same picture, just carefully cropped and edited a bit.

Edited by Grumbleduke

On 2/6/2019 at 5:00 PM, AllWingsStandyingBy said:

Sooo... you're a playtester then?  Cool.  Can you confirm the alleged leaks about Wave 8 that were "reported" by [that Podcast we cannot mention on these boards]?  Hit us up in PM if needed!  :)

Did you just seriously ask for an NDA violation on the boards owned and operated by the company that holds said NDA...

16 minutes ago, Truthiness said:

Did you just seriously ask for an NDA violation on the boards owned and operated by the company that holds said NDA...

I mean....it's just a legally binding contract swearing him to silence on the matter of the privately owned information. I'm sure nothing could go wrong if he broke the terms.

37 minutes ago, FortyInRed said:

Do you get this from tournaments or what? 

That was from the 2018 Q1 kit.

Generally FFG releases 4 season kits a year, which stores can buy (through their normal distributor) and use for tournaments however they choose. They tend to have one small prize for everyone, and two larger prizes for the top players (although this may all be changing now). The older prize cards tended to have different artwork on them. The more recent ones just have differently-cropped versions of the normal art, but double-sided.

So the 2018 Season 3 kit came with 17 versions of a double-sided Dual Turbolaser Turrets/Skilled First Officer card, 3 copies of a medium-sized, double-sided Home One/Demolisher card, and 2 bundles of plastic Navigate Tokens.

The 2018 Season 4 kit (which I don't think has made it to stores yet) has Slave Turrets/Boosted Comms for the participation card, and medium-sized Yavaris/Suppressor cards and bundles of plastic Redirect Tokens for the top prizes.

Bigger tournaments tend to have more prizes (this shows the prize spread for the current Regionals) but they're a bit more restricted on when and where they can happen.

If you don't have local Armada game tournaments you could try prodding your FLGS to see if they have enough interested in hosting some (but you might need to be pro-active in convincing them there are enough players). Now may be a good time to do that given the changes in how tournaments are working.

To the people building 1200 pt lists with large multiples of a single ship, isn't the max points per player capped at 600?

To pull off those lists you'd need to both agree to go all-in on a single type of ship (eg TRC, Cymoons, etc) right?

And surely you'd lose one or two off the total due to the ship cost not exactly equalling 600.

Let me know if I should take that unpopular opinion somewhere else ;)

On 2/7/2019 at 9:15 PM, kmanweiss said:

It's a nice collection, but it's a **** odd collection also.  2 AFM2, but 10 peltas.

On 2/8/2019 at 1:48 AM, Muelmuel said:

This, this is worthy of the name 'Armada'

And it’s really awesome to play with lot of ships.

17 hours ago, Truthiness said:

A-HA!  The problem must be that FFG also put the developers, marketing folks, and social media folks under that same NDA as well... because it seems none of them are allowed to talk about Armada either 🤣

Edited by AllWingsStandyingBy

Nice try FFG, I see you trying to entice me to purchase the SSD with visions of it engaged in a massive fleet battle. No dice! I'll spend my $160 on many smaller ships instead, so...there. Ha 😛

6 hours ago, RedPriest said:

Nice try FFG, I see you trying to entice me to purchase the SSD with visions of it engaged in a massive fleet battle. No dice! I'll spend my $160 on many smaller ships instead, so...there. Ha 😛

I'm on the opposite side of this. I'm trying to figure out if I should buy 5 SSDs. I could field 5 command prototypes with 1200 points...

1 hour ago, Bertie Wooster said:

I suspect Repair Crews May be a useful card for a flotilla in Sector Fleet. Especially for self-healing after a ram. 

They're quite useful in SSD fleets in general, even at the 400 point level. The main difficulty with using them is their short range. The SSD's giant base helps with that a lot. I expect a Prototype and two Repair Crew flotillas to be a viable and very hard to kill build coming soon.

3 hours ago, Truthiness said:

They're quite useful in SSD fleets in general, even at the 400 point level. The main difficulty with using them is their short range. The SSD's giant base helps with that a lot. I expect a Prototype and two Repair Crew flotillas to be a viable and very hard to kill build coming soon.

That would make sense. 

I used a Repair Crews flotilla alongside a VSD in my Regional list, and it "worked" in two games, but it still wasn't that great of a card. It's a once per game effect, best used with an engineering token. In retrospect I would've been better off saving the 4 points for a bid. 

With an SSD though, you have enough hull to make the card worth it. 

17 hours ago, thestag said:

I'm on the opposite side of this. I'm trying to figure out if I should buy 5 SSDs. I could field 5 command prototypes with 1200 points...

It's an interesting moral question as to what point buying SSDs becomes immoral. :)  Even if one is financially well off and not taking money out of their family's budget to enable such purchases, you'd have to imagine that the $200 of that fifth SSD would be much better suited going to a local soup kitchen or children's hospital rather than a terribly indulgent bit of redundant plastic that may be get used for a few hours, in the grand scheme of things.

8 hours ago, AllWingsStandyingBy said:

It's an interesting moral question as to what point buying SSDs becomes immoral. :)  Even if one is financially well off and not taking money out of their family's budget to enable such purchases, you'd have to imagine that the $200 of that fifth SSD would be much better suited going to a local soup kitchen or children's hospital rather than a terribly indulgent bit of redundant plastic that may be get used for a few hours, in the grand scheme of things.

Well we are all certainly glad you’re here to tell us how to live our lives. 🙄

10 hours ago, emsgoof said:

Well we are all certainly glad you’re here to tell us how to live our lives. 🙄

You're welcome. But let's be fair, if someone is buying five SSDs just 'cuz maybe they'll use all five once or twice in a game... maybe it is intervention time?  We could be saving them from having to be rescued from a house full of hoarded dangers, like teetering piles of gaming boxboard and punchboard, over-loaded wobbly shelves of excessive miniatures, and stacks and stacks of old rulebooks.  I'm sure the firefighters who would have had to otherwise undertake the risky rescue will be appreciative, too!  (It seems plausible that hoarding tendencies do seem to run higher than average in the gaming/collecting hobbyist communities).

Remember Marie Kondo's rules!  Keep only 27 books and only 2 SSD miniatures!  🤣  And if all seven of those Nebulon-B frigates do not bring you joy, then give them away or sell them!  Stop telling yourself that someday you might maybe run that Nebulon swarm.

4 minutes ago, Darth Sanguis said:

Nope. Plastic crack is love. Plastic crack is life. 

Fair point... and this is the real reason the game needs Tarkin's Carrion Spike corvette in the game.  The miniature's syringe-like shape could easily be repurposed to function as a needle to mainline directly into the bloodstream.

20 hours ago, AllWingsStandyingBy said:

It's an interesting moral question as to what point buying SSDs becomes immoral

On the flip side, if you have 5 SSDs that means you are free to loan out SSDs to others who can't afford them, and maybe even give away the redundant Commanders, Officers and Titles (you can only have two of each in any one game) to those in need.