Darth Sanguis

Alert All Commands! New article!

47 minutes ago, xanderf said:

It's not the overall squadron counts that are the problem, really, so much as compounding complexity from multiple unique pilots.

I personally don't think the complexity thing is an issue but this address that too in that you cant take as many aces with limited points I mean reble aces goes from this:

Squadrons:
• Gold Squadron (12)
• Green Squadron (12)
• Norra Wexley (17)
• Nym (21)
• Ten Numb (19)
• Wedge Antilles (19)
• Dagger Squadron (15)
• Jan Ors (19)
= 134 Points

Total Points: 134

To something more like this:

Squadrons:
• Ten Numb (19)
• Wedge Antilles (19)
• B-wing Squadron (14)
• Jan Ors (19)
• Gold Squadron (12)
• Norra Wexley (17)
= 100 Points

Total Points: 100

You could still get 8 squadrons but would have to take a cheeper squad and then it becomes quanity vs quality question where you really didn't have to worry about that before all you had to worry about is how many points am I willing to spend. So if you wanted a lot of squadrons you would have to take something like this:

• Gold Squadron (12)
• Norra Wexley (17)
• 3 x X-wing Squadron (39)
• 2 x Y-wing Squadron (20)
• HWK-290 (12)
= 100 Points

I also personally feel this would help define the Imperial vs reble fighter doctrines it really might be the reble player saying there are to many of them you could do something like this with Sloan.

Howlrunner (16)
• 2 x TIE Fighter Squadron (16)
• Valen Rudor (13)
• Ciena Ree (17)
• Mauler Mithel (15)
• Black Squadron (9)
• JumpMaster 5000 (12)
= 98 Points

Even with just experamenting with this type of squadron building it makes it more interesting as I have to cut corners to make things work, and what are the corrners that I am willing to cut, it makes for interesting list building.

I am not saying it will happen, but I do think it address many of the concerns people have brought up about squadrons in general, its just an idea to mull over.

Edited by xero989

29 minutes ago, eliteone said:

So only Commanders with friendly affects your own ships, but I guess upgrade cards can affect team wide? EX: Home One, Leia (Officer), Toryn Far? Of course those are all unique so only one per team. 

Fleet Commands are the big ones. No range restriction, affect all friendly ships.

Gives a bit of an advantage to the Empire, having both Chimaera (to switch out Fleet Commands at will) and the SSD (with multiple Fleet Command slots - which are pretty useless in normal play), whereas the Rebels would need one Pelta per Fleet Command. Throw in Tarkin and you've got almost guaranteed Fleet Commands from Turn 1 (Garm working only on Turn 1 and 5, but gives you a bit more flexibility?).

Edited by Grumbleduke

28 minutes ago, OgRib said:

Well, the new rules put all players on a standard size table and reduce the number of fighters vs CC all out assaults, so I'd expect games to go at least a bit faster.

Speaking of...

I mean, like many of us, I've played a lot of IRL Armada games - Tournaments and OP and such.  As a result, I've seen a loooooot of fleet builds set alongside the 'standard play area'.  Quite the majority take up the entire space, even at only one player a side limited to 400 pts (definitely the entire space if they are using any kind of card trays so common during tournament days for moving lists around the room).

You are telling me we need to now fit 1200 pts of stuff from up to four players in the same space???

Ummmm...wow.  Gonna be...cozy.

21 minutes ago, eliteone said:

Also this is going to turn list building on it's head, 600, 800, 1000, and 1200 points. Oomph. 

Suddenly I feel like having at least 1, usually 2 of every ship is no longer enough lol. Well played FFG. 

Now if only they could get some stuff in stock so we could buy more...

16 minutes ago, Karneck said:

Oh. New objectives, someone mentioned? 

Why. I wouldn't know anything about that...

If the SSD comes out with new objectives, objectives that are ONLY available by buying the SSD, objectives that can be played in standard games, I will be livid. I'm not even a Rebel only player, and it will still drive me crazy. New objectives best come out separate from the SSD, because hiding objectives behind a $200 pay wall would be a **** move.

Ok, so how will this impact cards like the 7th Fleet amd Mon Cal Fleet? Will those interact across all friendly players or just within the individual fleets? Will only one player per side get to use the "fleet" cards or everyone?  Just some food for thought... it may be in the rules already and I just missed them. I am at work in theory. 😁

Something important that I would like to clarify. Either I've got this completely wrong or I'm the only one who noticed it.

The updates that state that: Commanders cannot be assigned to Flotillas and; Flotillas do not need to be destroyed to table the opponent, are defined by the latest tournament rules (not the latest FAQ).

Sector Fleet rules are an alternative to Tournament Rules and do not define the aforementioned rules.

Therefore, in Sector Fleet games, Commanders can be assigned to Flotillas and Flotillas must be destroyed to table the opponent.

I hope I am wrong. Can anyone shed any light?

Just now, Tech Noir 17 said:

Something important that I would like to clarify. Either I've got this completely wrong or I'm the only one who noticed it.

The updates that state that: Commanders cannot be assigned to Flotillas and; Flotillas do not need to be destroyed to table the opponent, are defined by the latest tournament rules (not the latest FAQ).

Sector Fleet rules are an alternative to Tournament Rules and do not define the aforementioned rules.

Therefore, in Sector Fleet games, Commanders can be assigned to Flotillas and Flotillas must be destroyed to table the opponent.

I hope I am wrong. Can anyone shed any light?

I don't think you are wrong, per se.

Indeed, it is specifically called out that even squadrons are sufficient to keep a player in the game - a player is not eliminated if they lose all their ships, as they can stick around commanding their squadrons (and their squadrons can be activated by another friendly player).

I think this is only true of multiplayer games, though, to prevent a player getting totally sidelined early in the expected 5+ hrs play time.

Apologies, one correction.

At the end of the multiplayer rules, it indeed states that the game ends when all non-flotilla ships have been destroyed.

However, this is not stated in the two player section at the top of the article, which is where I would like clarification.

My question regarding Commanders assigned to Flotillas still stands for both Two Player and Multiplayer.

17 minutes ago, Tech Noir 17 said:

Sector Fleet rules aren't an alternative to Tournament Rules. They're an addition to the Rules Reference:

The rules contained in this document are an optional supplement to those found in the Armada Rules Reference

The "No commanders on Flotillas" rule is a Rules Reference rule (added by the Flotilla expansion, amended by the FAQ), so still applies to all games, including Sector Fleet games .

The "only 2 flotillas" rule is a Tournament Regulations rule, and only applies in Tournament games (so not in CC games). Same with the "you must kill everything but flotillas to table" rule (I actually had this come up in a CC game - wasn't tabled due to flotillas). So by default these don't apply to Sector Fleet games (or normal games! unless you're playing by tournament rules), which is why they're included as extra rules.

So no, you can't put a Commander on a flotilla in a Sector Fleet game (because that's a flotilla rule, not a tournament rule).

You don't need to kill all flotillas in >2 person Sector Fleet games (because that's a special "End of Game" Sector Fleet rule).

You do need to kill all flotillas in a 2-person Sector Fleet game (which might be an oversight they'll clarify/fix) unless it is a tournament game, or you otherwise want to play by tournament rules.

Edited by Grumbleduke
missed the multiplayer bit

3 minutes ago, Grumbleduke said:

Sector Fleet rules aren't an alternative to Tournament Rules. They're an addition to the Rules Reference:

The "No commanders on Flotillas" rule is a Rules Reference rule (added by the Flotilla expansion, amended by the FAQ), so still applies to all games, including Sector Fleet games .

The "only 2 flotillas" rule is a Tournament Regulations rule, and only applies in Tournament games (so not in CC games). Same with the "you must kill everything but flotillas to table" rule (I actually had this come up in a CC game - wasn't tabled due to flotillas). So by default these don't apply to Sector Fleet games (or normal games! unless you're playing by tournament rules), which is why they're included as extra rules.

So no, you can't put a Commander on a flotilla in a Sector Fleet game (because that's a flotilla rule, not a tournament rule). And you don't need to kill all flotillas (because that's a special "End of Game" Sector Fleet rule).

Thank you!

I knew I must have been getting something wrong.

Thank you for the clear and concise response, much appreciated :)

3 minutes ago, Darth Bane's Wrath said:

Has anyone else noticed the art on the final page? Look what is bombarding the isd. An Assault frigate mk1!

That's just the full Adar Tallon art. Quite a bit of art has random extra ships on (Slaved turrets having the DP20, the alt art Expanded Hanger Bay having a Bellator) - doesn't really mean anything other than that they've picked some art they like and it happens to have other ships on.

6 minutes ago, Grumbleduke said:

that they've picked some art they like and it happens to have other ships on.

My heart jumped there for a second, announcement of MkI would have been very nice. I wish they photoshopped the ship out of the art work before enlarging for the article, it is basically teasing.

49 minutes ago, BillHimclaw said:

So, when they say they tested an SSD fleet "against a Rebel force of equal size"... Am I wishthinking a bit too much, or do I read between lines some epic news for our rebels?

Perhaps,  Maybe they meant to say "against a Rebel force of equal points."  Still the Rebel in me hopes for an Epic ship for us as well 🙂

2 hours ago, Ling27 said:

I will say, there is specified rulings stating that in the CC All Out Offensive, Konstantine's effect may work against ANY enemy ship. I just used his name because it was the first one to come to mind that had the word enemy. Because of that ruling, I would allow it to work in Sector Fleet games, because otherwise, yeah. But that's just me.

Blame Dodonna

Edited by Alzer