Samuel Richard

Pyromaniac without the maniac

So I'm trying to make a blast character and I'm stuck on whether or not to make him a flamethrower build. Most explosive/flame characters are insane or not in the right frame of mind.  I'm trying to avoid because A. Its cliche and I dislike cliches and B. I believe there is some juicy rp with him grappling with the gruesomeness of his choice of trade and whether or not hes doing something fundamentally wrong. Because of my personnel stance of flamethrowers, i'm having trouble creating a character whose not insane and would use such weapons. Do ya'll have any ideas?

Edited by Samuel Richard

Maybe they hates the use of the flamethrower, but they've seen too many people gunned down in conventional gunfights. If this is what it takes to clear that bunker, or walkers interior, or to simply keep their friends alive, then the cost is worth it. 

Maybe it's more analytical. Sure it's a pretty horrific weapon, but it's quick, effective and demoralising for the enemy, why wouldn't they use something so useful?

Maybe they just try not to think about the moral implications, grit their teeth and get on with the job.

Hope that helps!

Like Rabobankrider said, have him choose it because he’s seen too many comrades gunned down trying to clear bunkers and buildings the conventional way. He understands how horrifying the weapon is, but will steel himself and use it to keep his comrades alive.

On 2/5/2019 at 12:58 PM, Samuel Richard said:

So I'm trying to make a blast character and I'm stuck on whether or not to make him a flamethrower build. Most explosive/flame characters are insane or not in the right frame of mind.  I'm trying to avoid because A. Its cliche and I dislike cliches and B. I believe there is some juicy rp with him grappling with the gruesomeness of his choice of trade and whether or not hes doing something fundamentally wrong. Because of my personnel stance of flamethrowers, i'm having trouble creating a character whose not insane and would use such weapons. Do ya'll have any ideas?

You should watch Avatar: The Last Airbender, season 3.  It's got a GREAT storyline in their about how fire isn't always about destruction, and is a force of creation as well.   You might try incorporating that kind of philosophy to things.  

He could also try and use his flamethrower in indirect ways, not specifically cooking enemies.  Perhaps using it to lay down hostile terrain, closing in enemy units so his allies can gain an advantage.  Or perhaps focusing on destroying enemy cover, basically any number of things that a wall of flame could improve, other than directly barbecuing sentients.

A random list of things someone could do with a flamethrower that isn't directly killing peeps:

1.  Laying down a barrier to help allies escape pursuit (this one is so ubiquitous in films/tv that it's basically a trope)

2.  Laying down same barrier to make ranged combat more difficult for enemies, having to shoot through the flames and distortion at the other side.

3. Herding enemies into a specific area that makes them at a disadvantage to the Pyro and his allies.

4.  Destroying environmental features that are being used by the enemy for advantage.

5.  Blowing up stuff (oh look, a red canister by those storm troopers, that will ruin their day)

6.  Triggering chemical reactions or other heat-reactant things.

7.  Scaring away Xenomorphs :P 

8.  Providing heat in a freezing situation by setting something on fire for warmth.

9.  Powering some heat-powered device/vehicle if they happen to find themselves on a low-tech planet.

10. Dramatically lighting cigars for humor.

11. Being a REALLY GOOD distraction by drawing EVERYONE'S attention to the giant gout of flaming death in their immediate area, totally setting up allies to do something sneaky and clandestine.

I could go on, but you get the idea. :P  Just because the item is listed as Weapon, doesn't mean that's the only way you can use it.