Pooleman

Rebel With A Cause: Jyn Erso Article

1 hour ago, Alpha17 said:

True, but it's not super hard to imagine a situation where long-range fire could be focused.  Unlikely, but not impossible, so one should "never say never." 

I'm willing to say never on courage 3 fleeing ;)

2 hours ago, Alpha17 said:

I actually like the generic officer.  He/She (depending on which model I use) fills a slot, can offer some support, but doesn't cost a lot.  If I lose them.... oh well?  No big loss in terms of points or combat effectiveness.  Not having a bombardment option is a downside, but I find it offset by having extra points to spend on more firepower. 

To run down the problems with the generic officers that we've encountered in our area:

1. No command options. The faction specific 1 pips are pretty bad, the 2 pips aren't much better with only the 3 pips being actually good. This results in super underwhelming command phases that rarely make up for the minor cost savings.

2. Really inefficient. They don't have pierce on any weapons or particularly good dice, they're not very durable and their special actions are just a clunky and underwhelming way to move tokens around. It would be legitimately hard to not spend the 50pts on that commander better elsewhere.

3. Bounty bait. I've never seen a bounty hunter not collect on a generic. Fett easily does it in a single attack and Bossk doesn't look too shabby either. A big part of thus is the low hp, white defense dice, and no defensive abilities.

TL:DR nobody has been finding those 30-40 extra points from Leia/Veers downgrading to make up for how much weaker they are.

3 minutes ago, MasterShake2 said:

To run down the problems with the generic officers that we've encountered in our area:

1. No command options. The faction specific 1 pips are pretty bad, the 2 pips aren't much better with only the 3 pips being actually good. This results in super underwhelming command phases that rarely make up for the minor cost savings.

2. Really inefficient. They don't have pierce on any weapons or particularly good dice, they're not very durable and their special actions are just a clunky and underwhelming way to move tokens around. It would be legitimately hard to not spend the 50pts on that commander better elsewhere.

3. Bounty bait. I've never seen a bounty hunter not collect on a generic. Fett easily does it in a single attack and Bossk doesn't look too shabby either. A big part of thus is the low hp, white defense dice, and no defensive abilities.

TL:DR nobody has been finding those 30-40 extra points from Leia/Veers downgrading to make up for how much weaker they are.

Has anyone played them just as the officer unit leader upgrade? Seems the Inspire + added courage for 19 points is far better than a 50 point commander?

Also, I agree on the generic command cards, although I do like Turning the Tide, personally. I'm going to be using it in my 3 AT-RT list.

1 minute ago, manoftomorrow010 said:

Has anyone played them just as the officer unit leader upgrade? Seems the Inspire + added courage for 19 points is far better than a 50 point commander?

Also, I agree on the generic command cards, although I do like Turning the Tide, personally. I'm going to be using it in my 3 AT-RT list.

As the upgrade, they are great. It's almost a must have on fleets and snowies

1 minute ago, manoftomorrow010 said:

Oh, I use the unit upgrade and find it quite good, but the generic officer really shouldn't be your only commander.

1 hour ago, MasterShake2 said:

Interesting.  I'll agree with option 1, but as an Imperial-only player, I don't find Veers command cards to be all that great either, usually.  I disagree with 2, as the extra 40 points from Veers is much better spent on units I'll actually attack with, something that I rarely do with Veers outside of his 1 pip card attack.  As for 3, my experience with bounty is limited, but the one time I had a bounty placed on my commander by Boba, my commander lived, and Boba got hit several times trying to chase him, ultimately leading to Boba getting taken out by an AT-ST. 

5 minutes ago, Alpha17 said:

Interesting.  I'll agree with option 1, but as an Imperial-only player, I don't find Veers command cards to be all that great either, usually.  I disagree with 2, as the extra 40 points from Veers is much better spent on units I'll actually attack with, something that I rarely do with Veers outside of his 1 pip card attack.  As for 3, my experience with bounty is limited, but the one time I had a bounty placed on my commander by Boba, my commander lived, and Boba got hit several times trying to chase him, ultimately leading to Boba getting taken out by an AT-ST. 

I know this isn't a big deal, but you save 30 points from going to the generic from Veers

Much better as unit upgrades instead of actual commanders.  The 2 pip of both factions will get better as the vehicles are released.

my 2 cents.  I could see trying to save 40pts over Leia as her attack action is not always used and sometimes she only gets to toss dodge out once due to range later in the game. Veers I still like over the generic because his gun is kind of useful and I see him getting better with the vehicle release as well, otherwise, play Palpatine.

1 hour ago, MasterShake2 said:

Yeah I'm pretty sad about it. Once again Legion's points imbalances and/or rigid code of army composition, rears it's ugly head. I'm not sure what the solution is other than waiting 5 years, hoping the game's successful, and that a second edition is better. I don't mind losing but I do mind that army composition is so important. It really seems like putting the cart before the horse.

I'm really excited that [operative] has just been announced! They have [keyword] in combination with [keyword]. That's really interesting when you consider putting them near [unit] and combine it with surge to [result]!

I think you all greatly underestimate the extra 3-4+ bodies (more if characters get upgrades, which most do). Boba can't get that bounty if he's dead. I'm not going to put that officer anywhere that doesn't have a bunch of bodies around him, and I can give him the bodyguard command upgrade for 5pts if need be. If I didn't have to take a commander, and could just have a whole army of 2+ bravery, I would.

12 minutes ago, lologrelol said:

I think you all greatly underestimate the extra 3-4+ bodies (more if characters get upgrades, which most do). Boba can't get that bounty if he's dead. I'm not going to put that officer anywhere that doesn't have a bunch of bodies around him, and I can give him the bodyguard command upgrade for 5pts if need be. If I didn't have to take a commander, and could just have a whole army of 2+ bravery, I would.

I think you're overvaluing an extra 3-4 bodies over the action multiplication of Take Cover or Take Aim 2, a gun with Sharpshooter and pierce and the option to use more impactful command cards.  I don't care about 3-4 bodies hence why I never take the extra dude upgrade unless I'm just hard up for ideas on how to burn points.

We shall see how the officer goes.

6 hours ago, MasterShake2 said:

I think you're overvaluing an extra 3-4 bodies over the action multiplication of Take Cover or Take Aim 2, a gun with Sharpshooter and pierce and the option to use more impactful command cards.  I don't care about 3-4 bodies hence why I never take the extra dude upgrade unless I'm just hard up for ideas on how to burn points.

I noticed it says this in her preview

a single attack from her Collapsible Tonfa can be enough to send some troopers into a panic.

How is this possible, I get that the tonfa is suppressive, but melee does not hand out suppression so can somebody please explain this to me?

1 minute ago, ResoluteHusky said:

How is this possible, I get that the tonfa is suppressive, but melee does not hand out suppression so can somebody please explain this to me?

It's just FFG playing up suppressive. It doesn't actually cause units to run in one hit

Yes, a panicked unit must Withdraw from a melee engagement, so obviously you can be panicked while engaged (or engaged while panicked) the unit just has to get out of it if they don't rally - good way to make a unit waste a turn. 

Edited by UnitOmega

48 minutes ago, ResoluteHusky said:

Thinking Logically, Jyn is more likely to be in melee with a suppressed unit than an unsuppressed one.

Therefore, if the unit is a corps and outside of their commanders bubble, the unit will panic quickly if kept in melee.

2 hours ago, ResoluteHusky said:

The tonfa has the suppressive keyword therefore it hands out suppression tokens. 

Edited by FSD

11 hours ago, MasterShake2 said:

Trivia, The only operative and commanders with the Nimble keyword are all women and all female operative and commanders have Nimble

not quite true, the Generic Imperial commander is female and doesn't have nimble