Pooleman

Rebel With A Cause: Jyn Erso Article

3 hours ago, Pooleman said:

What?! I’m a 40 year old man. If someone calls me “boy” I in now way think I am being threatended with violence. As an America who speaks American English I respectfully disagree with you. 

"What do you think you're doing here, BOY?" is a veiled verbal threat, especially if said to a person of color. So is something along the lines of "Hey GIRL, who let YOU out alone on a Saturday night?". Context is key.

This is a weird quirk of American English which has to do with medieval phraseology that clung to the spoken word in the colonial population while dying off in Europe. Unless someone in the UK can correct me that it's still common there, but I never encountered it except in the US.

I think we as a society need to stop sweating all this micro aggression stuff.

Why? Language is complicated. It was never ok to say just anything in front of strangers. The internet mixes ALLLLLLL the company, so, when a linguistic quirk is discovered to be offensive some of the people all of the time, it's use should come under scrutiny by true ladies and gentlemen. Just because some self-righteous people use their ideals of equality and inclusivity as a club, doesn't mean casting a wider net for politeness is a bad thing in and of itself.

I don't think that calling the list "Girl Power" is, in and of itself, objectionable or aggressive, just less than ideal. Depending on context, verbal tone, and other things, can add up to tell you something about that person, at it AGAIN, at the gaming store.

I'm actually annoyed more by the seeming compulsion among gamers to constantly manufacture new jargon. Just use a few more words, it won't kill ya.

Anyway, Jyn Erso!!!!!

I am so annoyed I can't buy the mini yet, I went to Target yesterday and bought the action figure instead.

Edited by TauntaunScout

24 minutes ago, TauntaunScout said:

"What do you think you're doing here, BOY?" is a veiled verbal threat, especially if said to a person of color. So is something along the lines of "Hey GIRL, who let YOU out alone on a Saturday night?". Context is key.

This is a weird quirk of American English which has to do with medieval phraseology that clung to the spoken word in the colonial population while dying off in Europe. Unless someone in the UK can correct me that it's still common there, but I never encountered it except in the US.

Why? Language is complicated. It was never ok to say just anything in front of strangers. The internet mixes ALLLLLLL the company, so, when a linguistic quirk is discovered to be offensive some of the people all of the time, it's use should come under scrutiny by true ladies and gentlemen. Just because some self-righteous people use their ideals of equality and inclusivity as a club, doesn't mean casting a wider net for politeness is a bad thing in and of itself.

I don't think that calling the list "Girl Power" is, in and of itself, objectionable or aggressive, just less than ideal. Depending on context, verbal tone, and other things, can add up to tell you something about that person, at it AGAIN, at the gaming store.

I'm actually annoyed more by the seeming compulsion among gamers to constantly manufacture new jargon. Just use a few more words, it won't kill ya.

I am so annoyed I can't buy the mini yet, I went to Target yesterday and bought the action figure instead.

All the stuff we disagree upon aside....Jan and PAthfinders have just moved to “Shipping”. 

Staying on the topic of rules. Can somebody please explain how Danger Sense is good for armour saves?

At the moment it only makes her more vulnerable to harm. As she only has a 5+ save, the extra dice only exponentially add to the chance of a failed save.

Boba is different because he has a 3+ save, which goes the other way. (in regards to his mandalorian armour)

53 minutes ago, lologrelol said:

Staying on the topic of rules. Can somebody please explain how Danger Sense is good for armour saves?

At the moment it only makes her more vulnerable to harm. As she only has a 5+ save, the extra dice only exponentially add to the chance of a failed save.

Boba is different because he has a 3+ save, which goes the other way. (in regards to his mandalorian armour)

Danger sense adds additional dice based on the amount of suppression the unit has. Say stormtroopers roll 3 hits on Jyn and she already has 4 suppression tokens. One of the hits the stormtroopers made goes away due to the cover bonus from suppression leaving 2 hits. Normally you'd then roll your 2 defense dice, but because of danger sense adding extra defense dice based on suppression, you'd end up rolling 6. In order to not take damage you have to roll two defenses, but now that you're rolling extra dice you're more likely to make those two saves

Just now, lologrelol said:

I thought each blank is a wound?

No. Each block cancels a wound from the hits the attacker made. Because you normally roll as many dice as hits that went through cover/dodge, you would have to roll all blocks to not take damage. Rolling extra dice gives you extra chances to cancel hits from the attack pool.

13 minutes ago, buckero0 said:

Still a lot of risk, especially for tje amount of suppression and poor save 

What risk?  she's courage 3, it practically takes an act of god for courage 3 to panic and rolling up to 4 extra defense dice seems like a good way to solve that poor save problem.

Also depending on how "you may choose not to remove" part of Danger Sense works, it's entirely possible that she can keep just enough suppression for extras without worrying too hard about a panic. There is also that Training card coming with Bossk (and probably Sabine), Endurance where for 6 points you can always pluck of one suppression at the end of activation. 

8 minutes ago, MasterShake2 said:

What risk?  she's courage 3, it practically takes an act of god for courage 3 to panic and rolling up to 4 extra defense dice seems like a good way to solve that poor save problem.

I had 9 suppression on Han my last game. Of course 4 of those were from Palps 2pip card

If not for Chewie he probably would have been dead

Edited by buckero0

1 minute ago, buckero0 said:

I had 9 suppression on Han my last game. Of course 4 of those were from Palps 2pip card

If not for Chewie he probably would have been dead

Cool, how many other times have you had a model still have 6 suppression after it's rally step?  for me, zero out of every game of Legion I've played and that's my units and my opponent's units.  Between auto-clearing 1 at the end of each turn and rallying, if you can't consistently get below 6, something weird is happening.  Also, Jyn's 3 pip seems like a solution if you have a ton of suppression, why not just not care about suppression for that turn and get an entire extra round of rally + auto clear to help?

7 hours ago, lologrelol said:

She's going to be my mainstay character now. Unless my games with an officer only HQ fare well.

They won't.  I haven't seen anyone play and not actively dislike only having generic officers.  Veers and Leia aren't that much more an bring a lot to the table.

15 minutes ago, MasterShake2 said:

They won't.  I haven't seen anyone play and not actively dislike only having generic officers.  Veers and Leia aren't that much more an bring a lot to the table.

Do they though? Every game I have not relied on Leia for killing things. I only have a commander because I want the bravery bubble + strat cards. I've been playing wargames for years, and have been almost tabling imperials, but Leia is just there for support. I'd rather have the extra 4-5 troopers for the points I save.

7 minutes ago, lologrelol said:

Do they though? Every game I have not relied on Leia for killing things. I only have a commander because I want the bravery bubble + strat cards. I've been playing wargames for years, and have been almost tabling imperials, but Leia is just there for support. I'd rather have the extra 4-5 troopers for the points I save.

Orbital bombardment would like a word...

If my opponent is smart they stay in their commander's leadership bubble. The all in one for Veers is more powerful IMO because it can smash something early, making their opponent hesitant to over-extend with that unit.

17 minutes ago, ScummyRebel said:

Orbital bombardment would like a word...

34 minutes ago, lologrelol said:

If my opponent is smart they stay in their commander's leadership bubble. The all in one for Veers is more powerful IMO because it can smash something early, making their opponent hesitant to over-extend with that unit.

I have never seen either long range attack make someone panic, ergo the leadership bubble is kind of a silly argument.

And it is unlimited range, so you can turn 1 wound something - with bombardment you’ve got easy chances at dropping any strike teams out there.

15 minutes ago, ScummyRebel said:

I have never seen either long range attack make someone panic, ergo the leadership bubble is kind of a silly argument.

And it is unlimited range, so you can turn 1 wound something - with bombardment you’ve got easy chances at dropping any strike teams out there.

This was undoubtedly a fluke, and something that likely will not happen again, but I've "killed" a unit of Fleet troopers before by causing them to panic on the first round of the game.  AT-ST mortar, long range, got a hit, two suppression tokens, failed to remove one when it activated, and it was outside of Luke's command bubble.  Their only contribution to the game was to run off the board. 

1 hour ago, MasterShake2 said:

I actually like the generic officer.  He/She (depending on which model I use) fills a slot, can offer some support, but doesn't cost a lot.  If I lose them.... oh well?  No big loss in terms of points or combat effectiveness.  Not having a bombardment option is a downside, but I find it offset by having extra points to spend on more firepower. 

19 hours ago, TauntaunScout said:

Could always name it "Grrrl Power" after the Riot Grrrl movement in punk in the 90's.  That may head off any misunderstandings.  Plus, let's face it, they're both kinda punk rawk

14 minutes ago, Alpha17 said:

This was undoubtedly a fluke, and something that likely will not happen again, but I've "killed" a unit of Fleet troopers before by causing them to panic on the first round of the game.  AT-ST mortar, long range, got a hit, two suppression tokens, failed to remove one when it activated, and it was outside of Luke's command bubble.  Their only contribution to the game was to run off the board.

A)  That was an important lesson for your opponent and one he needed to learn

B)  That's 2 suppression, not 6

1 minute ago, MasterShake2 said:

A)  That was an important lesson for your opponent and one he needed to learn

B)  That's 2 suppression, not 6

True, but it's not super hard to imagine a situation where long-range fire could be focused.  Unlikely, but not impossible, so one should "never say never."