Pooleman

Rebel With A Cause: Jyn Erso Article

9 minutes ago, NeonWolf said:

The X-34 might also be a "getaway vehicle" for Jyn in Capture the Supplies. Use Infiltrate to deploy next to the center crate, grab it turn one and move the speeder up. Then have Jyn hop in the speeder and head for the hills (or a back corner) with the crate.

Depends on if a unit can carry an objective while embarked on a transport or not.

Can a 1.4 FD laser claim an objective in someone carry’s it to them and drops in in base contact with the laser?

4 minutes ago, Caimheul1313 said:

Fire chickens could be a very strong follow up, and putting scout on Fleet troopers via Recon gear can also give them a good start to moving up the board. 

Honestly it depends on terrain just as much as the actual deployment. Long march allows you to put Infiltrators on any center objectives and Disarray could also be interesting. I think most of Infiltrate's strength will be deploying to forward cover without having to move in the open for a turn or two.

The list I was toying with was a Leia/Jyn list that included 2 Pathfinders, Commandos (full squads), some variation of AT-RT wolfpack, and Recon Intel on the non-Pathfinder corps units to get a lot of movement on deployment and grab a ton of cover.

Edited by manoftomorrow010

8 minutes ago, Pooleman said:

Can a 1.4 FD laser claim an objective in someone carry’s it to them and drops in in base contact with the laser?

Per the RRG: "Emplacement troopers cannot use the claim or sabotage/repair abilities." (Page 30,  "Emplacement Trooper")

Edited by Caimheul1313

8 minutes ago, manoftomorrow010 said:

The list I was toying with was a Leia/Jyn list that included 2 Pathfinders, Commandos (full squads), some variation of AT-RT wolfpack, and Recon Intel on the non-Pathfinder corps units to get a lot of movement on deployment and grab a ton of cover.

Your comment seems to imply that Pathfinders are Corps units ("non-Pathfinder corps units"). As a reminder, they are Special Forces, so will be taking the same slot as Commandos. 

6 minutes ago, Caimheul1313 said:

Your comment seems to imply that Pathfinders are Corps units ("non-Pathfinder corps units"). As a reminder, they are Special Forces, so will be taking the same slot as Commandos. 

Yeah I should've just said corps units lol didn't mean to conflate Pathfinders with Corps

27 minutes ago, Thalandar said:

So, confused here. I didn't think a melee attack could normally cause a suppession token. Is this a game mechanic to allow jyn to cause a suppression token, or did i miss something? Apologies if this has already been addressed.

Normally it doesn’t. However it will generate exactly one regardless of hit results because of the suppressive keyword attached.

28 minutes ago, NeonWolf said:

The X-34 might also be a "getaway vehicle" for Jyn in Capture the Supplies. Use Infiltrate to deploy next to the center crate, grab it turn one and move the speeder up. Then have Jyn hop in the speeder and head for the hills (or a back corner) with the crate.

Depends on if a unit can carry an objective while embarked on a transport or not.

Oh man, that sounds like a bunch of fun.

Thinking Leia + Jyn or generic Officer + Jyn will be the best list format. Having one commander to wrangle the troops to help Jyn after the infiltrate shenanigans are underway. The x34 would fit in well.

3 minutes ago, ScummyRebel said:

Oh man, that sounds like a bunch of fun.

Thinking Leia + Jyn or generic Officer + Jyn will be the best list format. Having one commander to wrangle the troops to help Jyn after the infiltrate shenanigans are underway. The x34 would fit in well.

I think that a second commander isn't necessary, but it would be nice. Ideally, I think you'd want the Infiltrators to activate early, getting Dodge tokens early in the turn, and getting them into a better position. Especially since it's likely you'll want to use Jyn's Command Cards early before she can be defeated. The non-infiltrate units may just want to be taking double moves, unless they have range 4+ weapons while the opponent focuses on the closer threats. 

I'm not planning on getting her, not because she isn't good (quite the opposite) but because I didn't care much for her character.

That being said, she looks to be a solid all around commander. She sits right in the middle of the pack as far as everything goes. Good cards, good defense, good attack, good abilities. My only real concern is that if you want to really take advantage of infiltrate, Pathfinders will be mandatory. That's going to get expensive fast or you may just end up throwing your commander away

Edited by thepopemobile100
Autocorrect is the worst

33 minutes ago, Pooleman said:

25 minutes ago, Caimheul1313 said:

Per the RRG: "Emplacement troopers cannot use the claim or sabotage/repair abilities." (Page 30,  "Emplacement Trooper")

Additionally, you cannot drop an objective voluntarily. You only drop it if your unit leader Panics or is Defeated.

3 minutes ago, Caimheul1313 said:

I think that a second commander isn't necessary, but it would be nice. Ideally, I think you'd want the Infiltrators to activate early, getting Dodge tokens early in the turn, and getting them into a better position. Especially since it's likely you'll want to use Jyn's Command Cards early before she can be defeated. The non-infiltrate units may just want to be taking double moves, unless they have range 4+ weapons while the opponent focuses on the closer threats. 

Easy way to get those Dodge tokens is for Leia to tell em to Take Cover.

Just now, manoftomorrow010 said:

Easy way to get those Dodge tokens is for Leia to tell em to Take Cover.

Leia has to be in Range 1 for that to work, which unless there is some new way of giving units Infiltrate, or she's in a Landspeeder, that isn't happening in the first few turns (depending on where the Infiltrates deploy). 

Something that hasn't been brought up is that Infiltrating units forward brings them closer to the slow, brutal Imperial commanders.

1 minute ago, Caimheul1313 said:

Leia has to be in Range 1 for that to work, which unless there is some new way of giving units Infiltrate, or she's in a Landspeeder, that isn't happening in the first few turns (depending on where the Infiltrates deploy). 

Something that hasn't been brought up is that Infiltrating units forward brings them closer to the slow, brutal Imperial commanders.

Right, I was thinking beyond round 1-2. I'm not confident I would send my Pathfinders + Jyn clear across the map, unless there is an obvious opening in the opponent's deployment. You don't want them to be too cut off/surrounded. As you said, deploying them in such a way that they're easily reached by Vader or Palpatine is bad news.

I think I would test them a little more conservatively first, treating Infiltrate like a souped up version of Scout X. They may not deploy incredibly far away, but at least in such a position that they'd be 1) in good cover; and hopefully, 2) in a spot where they can fire in Round 1.

4 minutes ago, manoftomorrow010 said:

Right, I was thinking beyond round 1-2. I'm not confident I would send my Pathfinders + Jyn clear across the map, unless there is an obvious opening in the opponent's deployment. You don't want them to be too cut off/surrounded. As you said, deploying them in such a way that they're easily reached by Vader or Palpatine is bad news.

I think I would test them a little more conservatively first, treating Infiltrate like a souped up version of Scout X. They may not deploy incredibly far away, but at least in such a position that they'd be 1) in good cover; and hopefully, 2) in a spot where they can fire in Round 1.

This.

If I were a rebel player, I’d be using infiltrate more to be dropping them in a good, sweet spot near objectives or tucked in tight on some cover that is relatively close to the deployment area. Cut off units are sad units, and they’ll die off too quick. That said, I’d try to hold off on deploying them until the end of deployment step to keep the opponent guessing where they’ll go, maybe force them to spread out unoptimally to cut off my shenanigans I’m only bluffing about using.

7 minutes ago, ScummyRebel said:

This.

If I were a rebel player, I’d be using infiltrate more to be dropping them in a good, sweet spot near objectives or tucked in tight on some cover that is relatively close to the deployment area. Cut off units are sad units, and they’ll die off too quick. That said, I’d try to hold off on deploying them until the end of deployment step to keep the opponent guessing where they’ll go, maybe force them to spread out unoptimally to cut off my shenanigans I’m only bluffing about using.

Right you hold them until the very end, but that also forces you and your opponent into difficult positions, depending on deployment zones, since you gotta put them more than range 3 away, which may not be that hard in practice (can't picture it in my head), but it leaves your opponent guessing. I was thinking of seeing what the opponent deploys where, then dropping my Pathfinders in a spot that allows them to take shots at a key target Round 1, or makes it more difficult for the opponent to move on Round 1 due to the threat of a counterattack.

The Pathfinders at least have good range weapons, range 1-3 basic rifle, and two range 1-4 upgrades. You should absolutely be able to put them in a spot that is prime for a Round 1 ranged attack without overextending them.

So, when a dodge token is used, the one that replaces with Nimble is gained. So, when she has teamwork, she hands off a free dodge token to her buddy! 

Edited by crx3800

20 minutes ago, crx3800 said:

So, when a dodge token is used, the one that replaces with Nimble is gained. So, when she has teamwork, she hands off a free dodge token to her buddy! 

Yes?

36 minutes ago, crx3800 said:

Wow, that is true. That could be a huge deterrent for shooting at Jyn. Unless the teamwork was with Leia....

8 minutes ago, crx3800 said:

I guess I had that backwards. If her buddy has nimble, they could give her a dodge token if they triggered nimble. 

Teamwork works both ways, so when either Jyn or the other trooper unit gains an aim or dodge token, the other gains a token of the same type (if they are at distance 1-2 of each other of course).

Edited by Lemmiwinks86

1 hour ago, Lemmiwinks86 said:

Teamwork works both ways, so when either Jyn or the other trooper unit gains an aim or dodge token, the other gains a token of the same type (if they are at distance 1-2 of each other of course).

Even better!

I mean, terrible! As the Empire, I detest good abilities for the rebels!

2 hours ago, crx3800 said:

Even better!

I mean, terrible! As the Empire, I detest good abilities for the rebels!

You don't like “balance”?

Edited by Pooleman