thespaceinvader

Protecting Peace - Jedi article

10 minutes ago, DerRitter said:

I was very exited to play republic, but I have to admit this was a little underwheling. Delta 7 looks like bad tie v1...

.....really hope that somethings make me change my mind.

Give the Configuration upgrades that were teased in the first Clone Wars article a look. The only bad thing I'm seeing for the Delta 7 is the purple evade. The rest of it is pretty sweet. For the V-19, it is the swarm/filler ship for the Republic. The ARC-170 is the heavy hitter for the non-Jedi.

28 minutes ago, DerRitter said:

I was very exited to play republic, but I have to admit this was a little underwheling. Delta 7 looks like bad tie v1...

.....really hope that somethings make me change my mind.

The Deltas actually look like the best thing in the faction so far.

The different configurations open up options for them. Lots of cool pilot abilities.

I already like them as a chassis more than the v1.

2 hours ago, Toph said:

According to the price difference between a Baron of the Empire (33) and a generic Inquisitor (38) one force equals five points. It used to be six before the update. 

That's for the first point, which is by far the most valuable because it comes with the recharge aspect. The second and third points are probably only worth 4 and 3 points respectively.

33 minutes ago, TasteTheRainbow said:

This is what I assumed this whole time. Just now in this thread I realize I am in the minority.

I don't think you are in the minority in hoping it worked that way. It's just that the evidence right now implies something else.

I am still crossing my fingers that it does work like a linked or bonus action and FFG is playing coy. We will see. Depending on how they do it, the door may still be open to change how it's defined in the RRG.

To be sure, a Purple Evade is worse than a White Evade would have been.  And I kinda don't think Aethersprites should have White Evade actions.   Heck, I think the v1 shouldn't have had a normal Evade, but only be able to Lock into a Linked Red Evade, in remembrance of how the 1e title worked. 

To be sure, a Purple Evade is better than no-evade-action would be, and it isn't really all that bad if you're trying to mathematically maximize defense.  This is particularly true if you've got multiple force charges, but even on a single charge, an Evade can be the strongest action for pure defense.

But White, Purple, and absent Evade actions weren't the only options FFG had.

At first glance, I feel like Red Evade could have been an interesting direction to go with a Jedi ship.  Stress would restrict them to the same blue moves as a Kihraxz fighter, lock out K-Turns and stuff like Supernatural Reflexes.  Not having hard turns would hurt, and the option to just K-Turn and still have force charges for dice mods is really good.  Plus SNR is probably going to be beastly on ships with either configuration.  It'd probably require spending force on Fine-Tuned Controls a lot more.  But when you really need that Force/Evade turn, it'd be an option.

Why did I have to start thinking about Red Evades?  I think White would have been kinda BS, but Red would have been really cool.

Wait.

These suckers can just take R4 Astromech. :P

Yeah, Red Evade wouldn't have been much better for balance than White Evade.

Sometimes it's good to talk these things through, however.

//

The more I think about the Aethersprite, Astromechs seem like an aspect of them we're sleeping on.  R2 Astromech on a 3-green-dice arc dodger sounds nasty to me.  R4 would go a long way on any Aethersprite which liked to take stress (a thing which may not exist, but still).  Blue 1 and 2 hards?  Nice.

//

One last thought: the focus result from Calibrated Laser Targeting could be rerolled with a lock.  Seems like that probably won't come up too much, but something worth keeping in the back of your mind.

7 minutes ago, SpiderMana said:

Uh, Mace?

Kinda.  But also not?  Or rather, not quite what I was thinking of.

Kad Solus, for example, kinda hates to do his linked actions, since that'd lock him out of his red moves.  It's nice to have more blues to recover from reds, but I'd had in mind an ability more like Poe or Leevan Tenza.  Routine stress, that is.

I guess it's a play style thing, where I feel like I probably fly a lot more ships which take routine stress and don't take many red moves, so red-move-stress is more of a blind spot.

*edit* I mean, I might rather bring R2 on Mace.  Again, play styles and blind spots.

Edited by theBitterFig

8 hours ago, Hiemfire said:

Only when you don't have the opportunity to shoot, then you're better off stacking focus and your force point.

swz32_jedi-knight.pngGreen Squadron PilotGreen Squadron ExpertSaber Squadron Ace

It's a nerfed A-Wing (pay a force to evade) with the TIE/In ship ability locked behind a force charge (minus the stress) and a slightly better dial than a Scyk… Using the evade on anything but a named pilot will be stupid.

I'm just hoping I can fit two Deltas and two Arcs in a list!

8 hours ago, GreenDragoon said:

Just throwing that in here... I have not once used the evade action on my awings, for 183 distinct A-wings on the table in 2.0. Not a single time.

A-Wings have an Evade?!

8 hours ago, Jokubas said:

That ship list was exactly what I was thinking. If this was the kind of ship that didn't normally have Evade on its bar, it would be one thing. But it's exactly the kind of ship that's known for having Evade.

It might work out, but it's certainly unintuitive.

It's also a couple decades older than the other ships, so the frame being less than completely optimized makes sense.

8 hours ago, OneLastMidnight said:

Yeah but you can't un-purple that action, because it's printed on the card and they're trying to steer away from erratas.

They could always print an upgrade that requires a purple action, and grants either a white action or some other benefit.

4 hours ago, HelHound said:

I’m hoping the V-19’s have a double missile slot, even though barrage rockets aren’t cheap IF the Torrents are inexpensive then it might be worth out. 

I suppose it's too much to hope that they have an Astromech slot?  R4 blueing up their 2-Turns (and whitening those 1-turns) could help them out quite a bit.

1 minute ago, JJ48 said:

It's also a couple decades older than the other ships, so the frame being less than completely optimized makes sense.

🤨 A millennia + old ship manufacturing firm (Kuat) hadn't figured out how to optimize a space frame for evasive maneuvers? I find that an odd pill to swallow. 

2 minutes ago, Hiemfire said:

🤨 A millennia + old ship manufacturing firm (Kuat) hadn't figured out how to optimize a space frame for evasive maneuvers? I find that an odd pill to swallow. 

Maybe, but then again, the galaxy probably recently suffered Sudden-Onset Dark Age Syndrome (SODAS).

31 minutes ago, Captain Lackwit said:

Just saying, the Delta-7 should NOT have an Astromech slot. However...

The Delta-7B Definitely should, and you're gonna' get waaaay more 7B friendly cards with the standalone Jedi Starfighter purchase, I think.

Also V-19s suck holy crap.

They both look to have astromechs to me...

500?cb=20150722030412500?cb=20131018062754

45 minutes ago, Hiemfire said:

They both look to have astromechs to me...

500?cb=20150722030412500?cb=20131018062754

That's where you're genuinely only half correct.

The Delta-7 could not facilitate an Astromech unit on its own, but had to have a specially crafted Astromech that was integrated into the starfighter- hard wired into the computer. They're one of the reasons this thing has 3 evade.

You take that out, uparmor the hull and upgun it a little, you get a Delta-7B that can fit an Astromech of choice into the socket in front of the pilot.

Since no standard Astromech can go into the Delta-7, it should not get that slot, but a modification that serves a similar role. The Delta-7B should get an astromech slot- and its point cost needs to reflect what the Delta-7 has that the B doesn't.

1 hour ago, JJ48 said:

I mean not really all that much. As far as the new canon goes the Delta 7 was in used around the time of TPM, making it a decade old craft come the Clone Wars with the R-22 Spearhead, the production model of the A-Wing, being produced and manufactured at the end of the Clone Wars. The RZ-2 A-Wing was made 7 years after ROTJ, so 40 years after the Delta-7, though it was effectively just a RZ-1 with a few tweaks to make use of various modifications over the years rather than being anything newly created. And as for the Tie Interceptor it shows up around 3 BBY, putting it at around 29 years after the Delta-7. The Tie Interceptor is the only real standout on the list, and that was less a result of the Empire not being able to make an interceptor like it and more a them making it as a response to Rebel cell hit and run strategies with the Tie Advanced X1 not being cheap enough to mass produce. 

The Delta-7, not counting its hardier Clone Wars variant, was effectively stripped down more than any of the other interceptors we see in the other factions, which is likely what the ship's ability is meant to reflect. Maybe it is all a balance thing, likely, but the ship is definitely known for being evasive. I'm personally hoping Purple actions are ones that you can use even while stressed, makes them a little more survivable without as much worry about token stacking. 

1 hour ago, JJ48 said:

I suppose it's too much to hope that they have an Astromech slot?  R4 blueing up their 2-Turns (and whitening those 1-turns) could help them out quite a bit.

No doing there, the V-19 is effectively as rickety as a Tie Fighter. Its a bare minimum ship that was rushed to give the Clones something to use during the early war. It will serve its role decently well in the game as a cheap swarm ship to fill out a list than likely being the main focus of one. But hey, wait a wave or two and we will get ourselves better Z-95s with Torp slots that the Republic can use as a more traditional X-Wing style fighter. 

25 minutes ago, Captain Lackwit said:

That's where you're genuinely only half correct.

The Delta-7 could not facilitate an Astromech unit on its own, but had to have a specially crafted Astromech that was integrated into the starfighter- hard wired into the computer. They're one of the reasons this thing has 3 evade.

You take that out, uparmor the hull and upgun it a little, you get a Delta-7B that can fit an Astromech of choice into the socket in front of the pilot.

Since no standard Astromech can go into the Delta-7, it should not get that slot, but a modification that serves a similar role. The Delta-7B should get an astromech slot- and its point cost needs to reflect what the Delta-7 has that the B doesn't.

Considering that Obi-Wan's astromech R4-P17 was built into his Delta-7 but was transferred to a body later on for use in the Delta-7B and Eta-2 shows that astromechs could be transferred between the two. Pretty sure that in Legends too that R4-P17 was an actual R4 astromech that was damaged and then rebuilt using a R2 dome and was just built into Obi-Wan's Delta-7 afterwards so back and forth between the two.

5 minutes ago, Animewarsdude said:

Considering that Obi-Wan's astromech R4-P17 was built into his Delta-7 but was transferred to a body later on for use in the Delta-7B and Eta-2 shows that astromechs could be transferred between the two. Pretty sure that in Legends too that R4-P17 was an actual R4 astromech that was damaged and then rebuilt using a R2 dome and was just built into Obi-Wan's Delta-7 afterwards so back and forth between the two.

Mh, that's pretty shaky lore. Glad Legends doesn't have a place these days, no offense to you.

2 minutes ago, Captain Lackwit said:

Mh, that's pretty shaky lore. Glad Legends doesn't have a place these days, no offense to you.

It goes back to pre-PT era where all astromechs were accurately denoted first by their series and then Lucas was 'Eh, don't care this one is called R4-P17'. Pretty sure someone asked him about it on set about R4s being the ones with conical heads. So, to keep with the larger lore established over the years and rectify the issue they went with R4 originally being an R4 astromech that got into an accident but was rebuilt with a R2 dome. Because this continued on with Obi-Wan's replacement astromech R4-G9 in ROTS that the Jedi preffered R4 astromechs due to their more rugged/durable internal parts but preferred the R2s aesthetically as well as modded them to have certain features that the R2 series had like additional hyperspace coordinate storage.

Of course Clone Wars then was made and Lucas or the team fully embraced the difference and they got rid of the first two letters denoting the astromech's R series for whatever they wanted it to be. 

8 hours ago, Da_Brown_Bomber said:

seems like an enabler ability is missing here. to me the purple action is good when it can combo off something else. kindof a push the limit effect but a bit more situational. im taking blinded pilot shots at this and trying to fill in the blanks but FFG must have some future plans for crew that buff the jedi abilities.

could be something similar to a coordinate for a free purple action.

i mean the purple actions seem meh now but they might get better with the release of additional support from upgrades.

i understand FFG's need to be cautious and not to make the jedi too good right away... this would sell ships but break the game. They are thinking long term here right?

This. Changing the rules reference to make purple actions insensitive to stress, or free actions, can be added if needs be.

At the moment, it's essentially a red evade action equivalent - except instead of giving you stress it takes your force. I'd rather have that than nothing. I agree with @Hiemfire that making out that it's somehow better than a normal evade is wrong - it unambiguously isn't - but it's still a nice option to have in your back pocket.

I agree it's not something you'd use on a generic jedi pretty much ever...since the difference between an evade and a focus on an agility 3 ship is pretty minimal, focus is better if you don't need it to defend, and as noted you probably don't have talents so no juke.

On a named jedi with a bigger force pool, it's much more of an option. If you've got three force, you can get force/evade without messing you up too much, which is better than force/focus because you can spend them both on the same roll to convert a blank as well as a focus, and you have a high enough initiative to know when you're going to want to do that.

1 hour ago, Animewarsdude said:

It goes back to pre-PT era where all astromechs were accurately denoted first by their series and then Lucas was 'Eh, don't care this one is called R4-P17'. Pretty sure someone asked him about it on set about R4s being the ones with conical heads. So, to keep with the larger lore established over the years and rectify the issue they went with R4 originally being an R4 astromech that got into an accident but was rebuilt with a R2 dome. Because this continued on with Obi-Wan's replacement astromech R4-G9 in ROTS that the Jedi preffered R4 astromechs due to their more rugged/durable internal parts but preferred the R2s aesthetically as well as modded them to have certain features that the R2 series had like additional hyperspace coordinate storage.

Of course Clone Wars then was made and Lucas or the team fully embraced the difference and they got rid of the first two letters denoting the astromech's R series for whatever they wanted it to be. 

That's...

That's a lot of hoop jumping, and not on your part.

2 hours ago, Captain Lackwit said:

Delta-7B should not be upgunned, the armament in both variants is exactly the same.

The question in my mind for the purple evade is whether or not you can perform it any time you have the opportunity to spend a force token (i.e. while attacking or defending).

The example shown in the picture in the article just states “ Plo Koon spends a Force charge to perform a purple evade action!“, without any further context in regards to timing... being able to spend a force to take an evade token if you blank out on defence would be a quite powerful ability, but also highly thematic for Jedi!

3 hours ago, Caduceus01 said:

I think Saesee Tinn is the sleeper pilot from this preview. His ability combined with R4 Astromech means lower IN pilots will never have a chance. 

Exactly what I was thinking! Anakin with R4 astro, dial in a 2 forward then at I6 moving last you can change to a 2 hard or 2 bank in either direction! Then double reposition if nessercery!! Seems tooooo good!!