thespaceinvader

Protecting Peace - Jedi article

15 minutes ago, Hiemfire said:

Only when you don't have the opportunity to shoot, then you're better off stacking focus and your force point.

swz32_jedi-knight.pngGreen Squadron PilotGreen Squadron ExpertSaber Squadron Ace

It's a nerfed A-Wing (pay a force to evade) with the TIE/In ship ability locked behind a force charge (minus the stress) and a slightly better dial than a Scyk… Using the evade on anything but a named pilot will be stupid.

Lets face it, you are probably never running the Aethrsprite without Delta-7B, at least on the named pilots. Makes them more of a heavier fighter, but that can move pretty well.

Just now, Hiemfire said:

Empire.

•Grand Inquisitor•Darth Vader•Seventh Sister

Darth Vader (65)

Grand Inquisitor (56)

Seventh Sister (46)

Total: 167

View in Yet Another Squad Builder 2.0

That is before upgrades.

Touché. I completely forget about the Inquisitors.

Still, there has to be a reason for it beyond 'doing it for the **** of it'.

3 minutes ago, GeneralVryth said:

There is an easy solution to that though, cost. Just look at the TIE Defender, people acknowledge it's powerful and hard to kill but it isn't tearing up the meta.

Again, only speculation. What if alone they are not bad, but in multiples they become a problem? That could be why this is in place. Again I am only throwing ideas as to why rather than moaning.

I don’t see a good use for purple evade... maybe if you’re token stacking because some other synergy or coordination platform?

That said, better to have and not need than never have access to it I guess.

I’m not overly excited by the Clone platforms in this wave, but if the points permit it I am really eyeing flying triple Jedi at high initiative. Maybe Tucker if I need cheaper filler and can’t fit all the Jedi I want.

6 minutes ago, Marinealver said:

Yeah Evade actions are pretty terrible when compared to the more versatile focus and stackable calculate tokens. Unless a pilot has juke to make use of evade actions evade is never taken.

As for purple actions, it is difficult to see which is worse, red actions or purple actions. Red actions do give you a stress limiting your dial but leave you with force tokens for dice modification. Purple actions do not give stress, but in taking an action you essentially lose a calculate token. 

They can't take Juke since if what we've seen so far is anything to go by they lose that slot to gain a Force slot instead. So that makes the action even worse compared to platforms that can normally take the Evade action and have a Talent slot. 

Edited by Animewarsdude

1 minute ago, Ebak said:

Again I am only throwing ideas as to why rather than moaning

🤨 If that is how I'm coming across, then my apologies. I find their phrasing in relation to what looks to amount to a double cost action to be disgustingly ironic and sad.

Just now, Ebak said:

Again, only speculation. What if alone they are not bad, but in multiples they become a problem? That could be why this is in place. Again I am only throwing ideas as to why rather than moaning.

I am not trying to complain so much as expressing confusion and a general desire for a different kind of design methodology. I still think there might be more to the action, because it's portrayed as a positive. Also, it's possible the distributor is just guessing as well. Look at the Light and Dark side requirement and how long those took to be defined officially (are they even yet?).

Just now, Hiemfire said:

🤨 If that is how I'm coming across, then my apologies. I find their phrasing in relation to what looks to amount to a double cost action to be disgustingly ironic and sad.

Well, it is a promotional article trying to evoke excitement and sales. It’s not like they’re actually going to say “oh that’s not so good but it’s there”. They’re going to try and find ways to spin/hype it all up.

I get why they’re hyping it.... I think they’re wrong, but I get it.

More than anything it's an issue of fun.

If you have Obi-Wan with, say, Heightened Perception, this is what competes for your Force charge every single turn :

- Spending a Force to calculate

- Spending a Force to Evade

- Spending a Force to Boost or Barrel Roll after a maneuver

- Spending a Force to use Heightened Perception

- Spending a Force to use your pilot ability.

Is it a decent amount of options? Sure. It may even have been too strong to give them a white evade.

Is it fun to only get one of them every turn when you're down to your 1 Force per turn? No.

Especially when other maneuverable ships like the Interceptor and A-Wings, get linked movement actions AND a possible White Evade, AND a pilot ability, AND a talent, that can ALL be used in the same turn.

Edited by OneLastMidnight

Just now, Animewarsdude said:

They can't take Juke since if what we've seen so far is anything to go by they lose that slot to gain a Force slot instead. So that makes the action even worse compared to platforms that can normally take the Evade action and have a Talent slot. 

So far, yes at least for the purple evades, but there is nothing that makes force and talent mutually exclusive upgrade slots. Sure currently there is no pilot that has both force and talent (IMHO Darth Vader/Anikin Skywalker would be the perfect candidate) but what is to say the XWM Dev team won't put that in or even add it to a pilot later on even as a test.

2 minutes ago, Hiemfire said:

and my own apologies if I offended you.

I feel that there is a reason to this. They wouldn't just give it a significant cost without some sort of reason.

2 minutes ago, GeneralVryth said:

I am not trying to complain so much as expressing confusion and a general desire for a different kind of design methodology. I still think there might be more to the action, because it's portrayed as a positive. Also, it's possible the distributor is just guessing as well. Look at the Light and Dark side requirement and how long those took to be defined officially (are they even yet?).

Same to you Vryth, and you are right, it could throw out more just on the surface it doesn't look to be the case.

7 minutes ago, Jo Jo said:

Lets face it, you are probably never running the Aethrsprite without Delta-7B, at least on the named pilots. Makes them more of a heavier fighter, but that can move pretty well.

Bah! I'm slapping Obi-Wan on the table with R4-P17 and calibrated laser for a junk-droppin', bullseye shootin' good time!

1 minute ago, Hiemfire said:

I'll take another look at the V-19s. Right now they're striking me as crit magnets.

From looking at the V-19 dial I think they will be prime candidates for Elusive. That's a lot of red on there.

2 minutes ago, NeonWolf said:

From looking at the V-19 dial I think they will be prime candidates for Elusive. That's a lot of red on there.

They're going to need it. Though I think the Faction talent was a damage mitigator as well.

3 minutes ago, mcintma said:

Purple evade is jamming beam I guess. It's ... there... maybe get used someday but 'free'

Jamming beam is the perfect example of why it's better to see on the side of something being too strong and increasing the cost. If something is too weak you can only decrease points so much before things start breaking down.

Just took a look at the spoiled upgrades from this pack and figured I'd post the list. The one I don't get is Expert Handling. Neither of the ships in the pack have a red Barrel Roll action on their bars.

Talents
Composure
Expert Handling
Juke
Saturation Salvo
Trick Shot

Force
Brilliant Evasion

Missiles
Cluster Missiles
Concussion Missiles

Astromech
R4 Astromech
R5 Astromech
New Unique (R4-P17?)

1 minute ago, NeonWolf said:

Just took a look at the spoiled upgrades from this pack and figured I'd post the list. The one I don't get is Expert Handling. Neither of the ships in the pack have a red Barrel Roll action on their bars.

Talents
Composure
Expert Handling
Juke
Saturation Salvo
Trick Shot

Force
Brilliant Evasion

Missiles
Cluster Missiles
Concussion Missiles

Astromech
R4 Astromech
R5 Astromech
New Unique (R4-P17?)

Well they seem to be touting these squadron packs as something that provides new republic players with similar upgrades that you'd get in the conversion kit. Although it is strange, why not just put it in the ARC expansion when that comes out? Or the Y-Wing?

Just now, Ebak said:

Well they seem to be touting these squadron packs as something that provides new republic players with similar upgrades that you'd get in the conversion kit. Although it is strange, why not just put it in the ARC expansion when that comes out? Or the Y-Wing?

The ARC comes with a copy as well...so there's that.

3 minutes ago, TBot said:

Obi wan ****** Kenobi + Baby Vader + Sam ****** Jackson + 3x 7B title = stupid fun good time. Now how many points do i have to spare?

What's this 7B title?  I can't seem to find that anywhere?