Sign in to follow this  
ardoyle

“The Drifter,” a response to requests for a high agility archetype

Building up to a hard science fiction game with no aliens, my prospective players have been mulling over character concepts, and a frequent question I’ve been getting is are there any archetypes that start with 3 agility.  After some brainstorming, this is what I designed:

The Drifter

2 Brawn, 3 Agility, 1 Intelligence, 3 Cunning, 1 Willpower, 2 Presence

10+Brawn Wound Threshold

10+Willpower Strain Threshold

90 Starting experience 

1 rank of Skulduggery 

It’s not THAT Bad...:  Once per session, after you or an engaged ally rolls a dice pool, you may spend one story point to reroll the dice pool.  You may keep either roll, but the Game Master adds a Despair effect to the final result.

The idea was to create an archetype that could represent a roguish rascal, Han Solo or Nathan Drake type character.

Any thoughts? I’m open to comments, and especially criticism.

I don't know if the special ability is appropriate for an archtype. It seems bit weak and somewhat conflicting in design of the archetypes as a whole to have both a benefit and a penalty in use.  All other archtypes have ability that's only giving you a positive benefit, designed to be used as a silver bullet in the climax or in a pinch. The ability presented here isn't really a silver bullet, and kinda makes you think twice about using it especially in the climax or in a pinch; it might make the situation worse.  In addition due to the dynamic results of the dice, in personal opinion, there isn't much use for "rerolls" in Genesys compared to other games.  Finally, I'm not too sure if it fits the design of a "drifter," a person who is moving constantly without a fixed home or occupation.

I would rather suggest an ability fitting in the theme of movement (as per drifter) with pure mechanical benefits. I was thinking something along the lines of a story point once per session to have a free incidental manoeuvre not limited by the max two you have, so you can do something out of turn or a have 3 manoeuvre  in your turn.

I just use the Elf stats for agile humans.  Nimble and a Rank in Perception fit with high Agility (you notice things that allow you to react quickly).

This feels very specific to me in that it sets the feel of the character very clearly when there will be a lot of people that want the Agility stat without the flavor.

Edited by FinarinPanjoro