mwmcintyre

The Circle Undone first scenario has a problem(Spoilers)

This was brought to my attention by someone else, but seeing if someone here can resolve this. Apparently with randomized locations, it is possible in the first scenario(not prologue) to end up with not enough clues to advance Act 3 making it impossible to win the scenario. Anyone else become aware of this? It's an unlikely combo of locations, but not impossible.

I think that was me :)

I’ve submitted a question on the rules page so hopefully we’ll get some official feedback.

In summary:-

Act 1 = 2 clues*

Act 2 = 1 clue* 

Act 3 = 3 clues*

Witch Haunted Woods - 4 locations will be in play (out of a pool of 7, 3 x 2 clue*, 4 x 1 clue*) across however many people are playing

Then 1 x Arkham Woods location added per investigator (of a pool of 5 x 1 clue*, and 1 x 0 clue)

* = per investigator

In my example, playing solo, I had 5 x 1 clue locations, so it was impossible to get through Act 3, as 3 of the 5 had already been spent by that stage.

Mapped out all the possible permutation of choosing 4 of the 7 Witch-Haunted Woods, and (unless I’ve done something wrong) it seems there is a 13 out of 35 chance of drawing locations with less than 6 clues.

Permutations of 4 x Witch-Haunted Woods 

Note that this is without taking the Arkham locations into account, as the number of Arkham locations changes with the number of players. For a solo player, a 1/6 change of drawing the zero-clue location changes the above odds to 13 out of 210. (13/35 x 1/6), or roughly 6%.  

Granted, these are very low odds, and I was incredibly unlucky to draw this on my first play, but the game *shouldn’t* allow you to draw an impossible set of locations.

I think the simplest solution is to split the Witch-Haunted Woods into two piles - the 2 clue ones and the 1 clue ones - then when you randomly select your 4 locations, you take two from each. That way you are guaranteed 6 clues per investigator, which removes this whole issue.

Should be 18/210 ~= 8%.

1 way to get 4 single clue Haunted Woods, times 6 (because the Arkham Woods is irrelevant - any one will result in a shortage) = 6/210

12 ways to get 3 single clue Haunted Woods and Quiet Glade = 12/210

Total of 18 combinations (NB not permutations).

9 hours ago, Kevling said:

I think the simplest solution is to split the Witch-Haunted Woods into two piles - the 2 clue ones and the 1 clue ones - then when you randomly select your 4 locations, you take two from each. That way you are guaranteed 6 clues per investigator, which removes this whole issue.

For a two player game (or two-handed solo) where this issue can also occur, I think the simplest solution is to put all the Witch-Haunted Woods together and randomly select four but remove Arkham Woods (Quiet Glade) from the game.

On 2/4/2019 at 3:14 AM, Assussanni said:

For a two player game (or two-handed solo) where this issue can also occur, I think the simplest solution is to put all the Witch-Haunted Woods together and randomly select four but remove Arkham Woods (Quiet Glade) from the game.

Actually you could still get only 5 per investigator that way, so doesn't solve the problem(there are four 1-clue Witch-Haunted Woods locations) although it makes it even more unlikely to pop up.

But I did just receive an official answer from Matt:

Greetings,

Thanks for bringing this problem to my attention! We've heard a few reports of this, so the team has been discussing how best to handle this issue. For now, I believe the best way to handle this is to revise the setup so that the players put a total of 5 Witch-Haunted Woods locations into play during setup, instead of 4 (as evenly as possible in front of the investigators, with any excess in front of the lead investigator). This should ensure that there are always at least 6 clues per investigator among just the Witch-Haunted Woods locations, regardless of what other locations emerge later in the scenario.

In a future FAQ we will either issue an errata to make this change permanent, or issue another errata which should solve the issue, but for now players should play with this change in place. If the change is made permanent I will make sure that the PDF of the Campaign Guide on our website is revised to reflect the change.

I offer my sincerest apologies for this problem. I hope you are enjoying The Circle Undone regardless!

Cheers,

————————————————

Matthew Newman

Senior Card Game Developer

Fantasy Flight Games

I can only assume that this was caused by a change late in development, otherwise simple addition rather than playtesting is all that's really needed to catch this mistake. While it is a very basic error, I'm sure that no one will be more disappointed than Matt himself. Considering that (a) all the deluxe credits so far list Matthew Newman as the sole designer and developer and (b) I've just played Black Stars Rise for the first time (wow, what a creative scenario) I'm currently willing to forgive quite a lot!