Sign in to follow this  
RG1701

Targeting : Yellow dot controversy

Okay. Me and my friend are arguing right at this moment about the targeting rule. 

Essentially, he disagrees that the targeting must trace from the yellow dot on the attacker to the yellow dot on the defender in a clear line of sight. He thinks that you just have to trace from the yellow dot to any part of the side you are attacking. The pictures in the rule book consistently show tracing from yellow dot of attacker to yellow dot of defender regardless of the rest of the "zone"

Who is right? Does he not have to touch the yellow dot of my defending ship? Can he just touch any part of the hull zone and declare an attack? 

Remember, there are multiple checks.

1) ARC of fire is from yours to his - is the hull zone in that arc, yes or no - any part to any part.

2) LOS is from Yellow Dot to Yellow Dot, without crossing an enemy neighboring hull zone. This also shows if the attack is obstructed .

3) Range is from any part of your arc TO HIS THAT IS IN ARC.  You don’t get to short your range of that part of the enemy is closer.

Then you can shoot.

3 distinct steps.

11 hours ago, RG1701 said:

Okay. Me and my friend are arguing right at this moment about the targeting rule. 

Essentially, he disagrees that the targeting must trace from the yellow dot on the attacker to the yellow dot on the defender in a clear line of sight. He thinks that you just have to trace from the yellow dot to any part of the side you are attacking. The pictures in the rule book consistently show tracing from yellow dot of attacker to yellow dot of defender regardless of the rest of the "zone"

Who is right? Does he not have to touch the yellow dot of my defending ship? Can he just touch any part of the hull zone and declare an attack? 

So he needs to have yellow dot to yellow dot without crossing an enemy hull zone line to have an attack. However, the enemy hull zone ALSO has to be in the arc of fire of the attacking ship.  This can be any part of the target hull zone, from the full thing to the barest sliver.  If the dot-to-dot line crosses over an obstacle or another ship it is obstructed.