Sign in to follow this  
Wes Janson

Just how it is here.

2 minutes ago, GammonLord said:

Could you write more on this? I've not really come across this being said before. 

Its usually written along the terms of "Deployment in both Number and Position, as well as Maneuver are very important parts of Armada to Learn and Master.  Raddus allows you to ignore the very concept of Deployment Numbers (as you go 'who cares', my big hitter drops LAST and not part of deployment), as well as Maneuver, as you're simply placed in the "best position" you feel like when its time.

16 minutes ago, Drasnighta said:

Its usually written along the terms of "Deployment in both Number and Position, as well as Maneuver are very important parts of Armada to Learn and Master.  Raddus allows you to ignore the very concept of Deployment Numbers (as you go 'who cares', my big hitter drops LAST and not part of deployment), as well as Maneuver, as you're simply placed in the "best position" you feel like when its time.

As a Raddus player, this doesn't really marry up with experience. 

Deployment is still critical, as you need to get your marker ship/s to a good spot, else you'll waste the big opportunity. When building a list I try to maximise my deployment numbers to ensure I can at least equal my opponents. It matter to the success of Radduss-ing. 

As to simply placing in the best position, this is again impacted by deployment but also reality on the field - Raddus isn't an auto 'deploy where you want'. Your main marker shop could be neutralised in some way, or a fighter screen could be used to prevent you landing where you want. I've managed lots of 'great', 'pretty good' and one 'nigh on perfect' Raddus deployment having used him a lot. He isn't a license to go where you want - your opponent has agency in all this. 

On top of all this, with Raddus you have one shot. Muck it up and you've wasted your admiral, your big hitter and potentially the marker ship who has been left hanging. 

He adds a new experience to the game I think, one that is dramatic, thematic and fun, but very much something that can be countered. 

Just now, GammonLord said:

As a Raddus player, this doesn't really marry up with experience. 

Deployment is still critical, as you need to get your marker ship/s to a good spot, else you'll waste the big opportunity. When building a list I try to maximise my deployment numbers to ensure I can at least equal my opponents. It matter to the success of Radduss-ing. 

As to simply placing in the best position, this is again impacted by deployment but also reality on the field - Raddus isn't an auto 'deploy where you want'. Your main marker shop could be neutralised in some way, or a fighter screen could be used to prevent you landing where you want. I've managed lots of 'great', 'pretty good' and one 'nigh on perfect' Raddus deployment having used him a lot. He isn't a license to go where you want - your opponent has agency in all this. 

On top of all this, with Raddus you have one shot. Muck it up and you've wasted your admiral, your big hitter and potentially the marker ship who has been left hanging. 

He adds a new experience to the game I think, one that is dramatic, thematic and fun, but very much something that can be countered. 

That is the argument as its made.  

I agree on a few points with both sides of the argument, but you will find that the return to your statements will be:  its "easier" for the Raddus player than it is for the Counter player,

Jesus, this is a thread worthy of a funeral dirge. I had a similar exp as the op and its bummed me tf out the past couple months. Sucks to be in a situation where there isnt much of a community to play with locally, the forums are starting to feel toxic ( and I'm as responsible for that as anyone), and it just feels like theres no support coming from the company that you're dedicating time to. I'm not really sure what we can say but i feel your frustration, i hope things get better for you. 

58 minutes ago, Drasnighta said:

That is the argument as its made.  

I agree on a few points with both sides of the argument, but you will find that the return to your statements will be:  its "easier" for the Raddus player than it is for the Counter player,

Completely agreed, I still enjoy being the foil though.

22 hours ago, kmanweiss said:

Or maybe, just maybe, FFG made it difficult to actually play.  CSI is out of stock of 20+ expansions.  MM is out of stock of 8.  FFG themselves is out of stock of 3 squadron expansions.  There have been serious gaps of time where various expansions have been completely sold out except for scalpers on ebay charging 2x or 3x the MSRP.  If any of those 14 people were trying to build a collection...well, 2018 wasn't a good year for that.

Maybe, just maybe, those 14 players like games that are alive and vibrant, not seemingly on life support for a year or more.  Anyone that's been in the gaming market for more than a few years has seen the birth, life, and death cycle of lots of games.  They start to see the writing on the wall.  When the expansions start wavering, when support from the company vanishes, when production/stock issues start making it hard to find stuff to buy...well, those are the tell-tale signs of a dying game.  And when those signs start showing up, the rumors start flying.  I'm not saying Armada is dead or dying, I don't think it is (or at least I hope it isn't), but it sure has all the symptoms of a dying game.

Maybe, just maybe, you are right, and a few of the players like it when things are changing.  Some people play these games for the challenge of adapting to an ever changing meta that comes from releases of new expansions that introduce new ships, new upgrades, new commanders, new challenges.  When the release schedule slows down as much as Armada has, the meta tends to stagnate significantly, especially local metas.

Maybe, just maybe, it was a combination of all these things and more.  1 person runs into a financial situation and has to sell of their collection.  1 person changes jobs and schedules and can't make local games any more.  1 person starts a relationship, or has a kid, and no longer has the free time for local games.  1 person moves away.  1 person quits because they like changing metas and its not changing anymore.  1 person quits because they just like buying new stuff and there isn't any.  1 person quits because they are frustrated they can't find expansions.  1 person quits because a friend of theirs that played also quit.  1 person quits because they think the game is dying and they would prefer to be in a living game that is still expanding.  As the player count drops due to various reasons, the remaining players see less reason to get involved as the game appears to be dead.  Without expansions making the news.  Without articles and news from FFG, no new players are joining in.  Without a strong enough community to survive momentary dips in player population, there is nothing to come back to.

I must have missed this quality reply initially and wish I had been able to respond to it earlier.  I enjoyed and agree with the fourth paragraph, because life certainly happens and definitely takes precedent over plastic spaceships.  My issue (and the reason for my statement) was that the OP stated that "we went from 15 registered regulars to me" in 2018 and that "everyone was pissed and frustrated at constant lack of product due to reprints and or none at all and said 'I am out.'"  Unless the OP is just using hyperbole, that takes away most of the logical (and completely understandable) reasons that you mentioned.  But even with reprints though, unless it was the Imperial Light Cruiser, Imperial/Rebel Squadron Pack I, or the Imperial Light Carrier (the latter, only if you didn't want to look very hard), I had no issue finding product at the normal FLGS prices.

I ran the local Armada group. We went from 15 registered regulars to me. Everyone was pissed and frustrated at constant lack of product due to reprints and or none at all and said "I am out."  It took the majority of 2018 to hit this point, but all have gone to GW with their better product support. Can I rebuild it? Maybe, but it took a long time to get it going in the first place and I feel at this moment that I don't really want to. No recent sales and no new players have also seen the decision to stop carrying the line and this sort of made up my mind as well.         I read this and my first thought.  Is it your fault they quit?

2 hours ago, Fuzzywookie said:

Is it your fault they quit?

Doubtful. Even groups that have a community leader pushing for Armada growth have suffered a drop off. I have a weekly group. We meet on Fridays. Many players are making other plans or playing other games. Even I don't play Armada every time. There's just not enough interest right now. What I'm trying to do instead is promote a "Star Wars Game Night" where players bring the game they want to play and pair off, but still make the weekly meet. That way, when Armada picks up again, and I firmly believe it will, the player base is still assembled and ready to play. 

I think @svelok put it best at the last meet. Something along the lines of "I'll care about Armada when they give me something to care about" while he played X-wing with another member. 

Edited by Darth Sanguis

Just now, Drasnighta said:

I had to increase the size of Regionals since we sold out within a week... and steal chairs from Destiny to do it.

Wow! That's fantastic! 

At least Canada is still holding up. I couldn't make regionals this year. They moved it out of our store so for the first time in 3 years I could play but I had to pull a 24 hour shift that day... was not happy. 

Congrats man!

1 minute ago, xero989 said:

For me tournament turnout is great, but constant continual support like game nights, and community engagement on our group page has dropped significantly. I think this is because tournaments give players something to care about.

I think this is the same for our area, unfortunately, we haven't had a tournament since before new years, so it's hard to tell. Still waiting on kits so I can schedule events. 

10 hours ago, Darth Sanguis said:

Still waiting on kits so I can schedule events. 

This has been an issue for us at times. Sometimes we get kits and other times not. One thing our group has done is to take a bunch of alt arts, especially some of the common, but older ones, as well as a few rarer ones that people got but don't use and make a grab bag as prizes. Rarer cards needed higher turnout, but it was a great way to get some newer players cards that a bunch of us had multiples of.

I'm really sorry that the OP and a bunch of others had their communities die. We have a bunch of players, but our game nights have always been mixed. People post in a group what games they're playing to bring or want to play and people bring them out, but Armada has always been a popular one, and we got every player in the store into it. 

As for the reprints, it's super frustrating, but again, a bunch of us are longtime players, and we're happy to lend a ship or cords to others who want to try things. It does mean we can't all run @Crabbok's 5 Arq fleet, but we could pool ours so one person can try it. That's helped to really ease the burden on the reprints, as well as letting people try and experiment with things. 

Personally I really look forward to the SSD, but I've also really loved the meta shake up that the FAQ brought last year and am still playing with new things, but I can see if you're getting multiple games in a week how it could get stale (I just wish I could get more than a couple). I just still think there's loads I could try (like seriously playing Rebels, as I've tried a couple of times, but just miss my space pizzas), and the Never Have I Ever thread gave me even more ideas.

But to each their own. Personally, I was hugely impressed when 40k (which I'd played for 2/3rds of my life) came back.... and then lost interest as it went tournament heavy, and I had only a couple of lists I could run, and upon set up I could practically say either 'I've won' or 'I don't have a hope'. So it got boring fast. I'll still play, especially as a few players have really pushed for 'fun' lists, but that's so hard to define that it's lead to some mixed results. In contrast, while there can be bad match-ups in Armada, I find there's still lots of variety that makes things effective, and, with the ranges being relatively small compared to the board size, plenty of ways that you can fight back against even a fleet that counters yours (unlike 40k, where so many of the weapons can fire across the whole board). But again, that's personal preference and opinion, and everyone knows what they say about opinions.... ;) 

On 2/5/2019 at 10:46 AM, Fuzzywookie said:

I ran the local Armada group. We went from 15 registered regulars to me. Everyone was pissed and frustrated at constant lack of product due to reprints and or none at all and said "I am out."  It took the majority of 2018 to hit this point, but all have gone to GW with their better product support. Can I rebuild it? Maybe, but it took a long time to get it going in the first place and I feel at this moment that I don't really want to. No recent sales and no new players have also seen the decision to stop carrying the line and this sort of made up my mind as well.         I read this and my first thought.  Is it your fault they quit?

Fuzzywookie, as much as I would like to take credit for the demise of 14 other players, I am not that negative. As a matter of fact I have been and continue to be a great fan of this game, and I enjoy myself. Trouble is I can't keep other people in that mindset. Nor for that matter is it my responsibility to tell adults what they should be doing 🤐 Mind you I still try lol. I can say there is not a player in this group younger then 30.

I live in a GW dominated market to begin with. Once 8th edition 40K hit, things started to go south. It sucked people away from other games like a dry sponge dropped in a puddle. Some of the comments I got when I talked to my guys over the week about it I noted for this discussion:

"It's hard to play the same day every week."

"Got boring. Needs more factions."

"I don't want to play blue on blue games. If I show up and there is no Rebel player to play against, I leave."

"I don't like playing in tournaments. The guys that do were building cheese lists I didn't like playing against."

"Too invested into 40k/AoS now. Don't have time for Armada anymore."

Agreed that no one reason is the cause. It is just a long collection of things. I think my take away was that people drifted away from it because there was nothing exciting going on. In my long years in the hobby 25+, this is a trend I see with games that don't progress in a predictable fashion. FFG could go a long way in laying out a plan for regular release schedules, at least people then can look forward to whats ahead, while tuning what they have. A year of nothing has taken it's toll.

We used to sit down and spend entire game sessions just talking about how the next wave was going to really mess with things. Hopefully my SSD purchase helps bring a really cool scenario style game to perk interest again.