Sign in to follow this  
BiggsIRL

Meta Topic - What Will The SSD do to the Meta?

I dont think tge ssd itself will have a huge impact, i think the two commanders will open up new options, piett specifically. Palp seems alright but maybe redundant. A lot of the upgrades like vader will be interesting too. 

Im concerned we'll see even less rebel commanders though, so many cards in that pack are faction specific

All I know for sure is there's going to be a ton of giant angry triangles and spheres that first few months. lol

Locally I don't think we'll see much of a meta shift. High activation and full squadron builds are pretty common here, and I think they should do well. The Imperial players will likely be running this often for the first few months, other than that I can really only speculate wildly. 

HMDV wins.  Bring APTs and him.  DCO?  Who cares?  Have a steaming pile of crits.  Or if you brought aces, kill Kallus to make things just a little easier.  The point is the SSD becomes an upgrade buffet.

Intel Officer loses a little.  All of those tokens are redundant.

MSU loses.  If you’re shooting it with 3 Hammerheads or CR90s, it’s shooting all three back just as hard.  And you’d better believe your firepower is dwindling faster.

Most Mon Cal ships win.  Double arcs will be easy for the MC75.  Double sides arcs will be easier for the MC30 and HMC80.

Two-ship probably loses.  This thing won’t die before it hurts you, and can put up a competent fight against your squadrons at the same time.

Rieekan wins.  Ram twice more with a dead CR90 (then get rammed?) Blocking with a dead GR75 is also fun.  A Tua ECM Gozanti could pull off the same effect if the SSD becomes enough of a thing.

Im not sure what it will do to the meta, but I think your impressions are correct. DCO will be pretty much taped to the SSD, raddus will lose value, I think we might see more cymoons without comander vader because of director Krennic, maybe arquitnes as well.  I am justnot sure if SSD lists will be good, but we will see at times I think the SSD could be good other times I have my doubts, but am looking forward to the changes it will bring.

As Dco becomes more prominent I'm thinking people change out their crit effects for more dice... Which sucks cause crit fishing is an exciting element of the game both for the giver and the taker... but what are you gonna do when half the lists are immune to crits?

1 minute ago, SkyCake said:

As Dco becomes more prominent I'm thinking people change out their crit effects for more dice... Which sucks cause crit fishing is an exciting element of the game both for the giver and the taker... but what are you gonna do when half the lists are immune to crits?

Bring MORE crits obviously....

Edited by clontroper5

1 minute ago, clontroper5 said:

Bring MORE crits obiously....

Yes ha ha!!! Let us burn through those double contains with vigor!!!

Sato, hammerheads, and wicked amounts of crits! That'll show em!

😄😃😀

32 minutes ago, SkyCake said:

Yes ha ha!!! Let us burn through those double contains with vigor!!!

Sato, hammerheads, and wicked amounts of crits! That'll show em!

😄😃😀

This has been discussed, and it’s the weirdest thing to be salty about.

Bring Boarding Troopers.  Bring Intel Officer.  Bring H9s.  Bring Avenger.  Bring Sloane.  Bring Norra and ten other bombers.  Bring literally anything to stop defense tokens.  It’s just a good fleet building principle anyway.

I am an all rebel player. I have every rebel release that there is for armada, two each of some. The ssd is a cool add on but I really hope they give the rebels at least one more expansion after the ssd is released just to close the gap a little.

That being said I look forward to trying to take it out in a game. My brother plays all imperial and I know hes gonna get one heh.

On 2/2/2019 at 4:26 AM, dominosfleet said:

Im concerned we'll see even less rebel commanders though, so many cards in that pack are faction specific

I believe the biggest reason for that is so that rebel-only players don't feel forced to buy into such a big product. All the new cards are faction specific so that means they won't complain that they have to buy in to stay competitive for their faction. Likewise the new cards are also unique so there will be a better after-market for imp admirals who can't afford the SSD, from those that buy 2 or more SSDs and have redundant new uniques.

Regarding rebel epic, I think that depends on when the Maus allows the drop for the Starhawk blueprints

Edited by Muelmuel

13 minutes ago, Muelmuel said:

I believe the biggest reason for that is so that rebel-only players don't feel forced to buy into such a big product. All the new cards are faction specific so that means they won't complain that they have to buy in to stay competitive for their faction. Likewise the new cards are also unique so there will be a better after-market for imp admirals who can't afford the SSD, from those that buy 2 or more SSDs and have redundant new uniques.

Eh, thats kinda saying its good theyre not getting own cards because theyre not getting their own release

On 2/2/2019 at 4:40 AM, The Jabbawookie said:

Intel Officer loses a little.  All of those tokens are redundant.

MSU loses.  If you’re shooting it with 3 Hammerheads or CR90s, it’s shooting all three back just as hard.  And you’d better believe your firepower is dwindling faster.

Rieekan wins.  Ram twice more with a dead CR90 (then get rammed?) Blocking with a dead GR75 is also fun.  A Tua ECM Gozanti could pull off the same effect if the SSD becomes enough of a thing.

Hmm, IO with new Commander Palpy? Could be good synergy. NK-7s for more fun

Sad, I like MSU :( but perhaps CR90s can survive if past that front arc. Even the assault prototype only has 3reds out it's stronger side arc. HH not as maneuverable so may still get gobbled up all together.

Imo I really hope there is a different rule for huge ship ramming. Else indeed I see Rieeekan as the big winner here. Sacrifice a ship to the front for a round or 2 and have the rest of the fleet beat up the SSD

So I have doesn't some testing with my personal favorite SSD build so far (Assault prototype: ravager, QBT leading shots, and other upgrades to taste, HIE works well.) And with that set up, it can blast small ships into Smithereens with The side arcs at long range, it's pretty gross I love it. 

Also JJ is forever stapled to my SSD, such a good ability on it.

I think the presence of the ssd will force some changes even if it isnt played by the best players consistently. Of you are relying on first player facing it theres probably going to be some nasty points based objectives you are up against. 

And if you force it to go first you will need to be careful not to have major vulnerabilities in your deck. An ssd with a fighter wing is going to be able to control large areas of the board.

On 2/1/2019 at 8:26 PM, dominosfleet said:

I dont think tge ssd itself will have a huge impact, i think the two commanders will open up new options, piett specifically. Palp seems alright but maybe redundant. A lot of the upgrades like vader will be interesting too. 

Imperials will soon have nearly twice as many faction-specific officers as Rebels do...

Admiral Raddus

Drunkle Raddus is Rad because he lets you win deployment, and deployment wins games.  The SSD doesn't care about deployment, and there is really no good place you can put the Raddus drop down that it can drill the SSD and fly away.  Unlike everything up to and including an ISD, the SSD can't be melted in a single turn.

With DCO onboard, you take away one of Raddus's biggest tricks for melting an enemy ship - adding extra damage through critical effects.  With double brace, it can take a double arc shot and keep on trucking.  And with the Raddus drop typically on Turn 2, Tagge says "give me back that Brace".

I think the opposite - Raddus players will find it pretty easy vs SSD. They don't need to hit and run. If you drop a well kitted drop ship at the rear of the SSD to rear-ward firing power is pretty weak (especially the Command prototype) and you should be able to stay in the rear arcs without much trouble. Just sit there and pound away turn after turn.  Especially if you have good blue/red dice you have a good change of a double arc of firepower each turn. 

MSU TRC90s can also be brutal against the SSD. Add in Engine Techs and they'll be swooping past the nasty front arcs in no time. Once at the rear they can keep firing in turn after turn. Last First will be mainly used to skip past front arcs rather than to jump in to do damage. 

And don't forget this:

Half points (upgrades included): if it takes at lest half its hull value in damage 

Yes the SSD has 22 hull but if you take off 11 hull you get half the points value of the ship. That's enough for a solid 7:4 or 8:3 win without having to kill the thing. 

In terms of handling squads the SSD has some great counter-combos.

Another upgrade that should be stapled to the Assault Prototype is Quad Laser Turrets, especially with Annihilator and Kallus you don't even need to waste shots flaking squads as the counter alone will be enough to kill off an non-scatter squads. On the Assault version you can also add Point Defense Reroute. 

11 hours ago, Muelmuel said:

Imo I really hope there is a different rule for huge ship ramming

All small ship bases get displaced like a squadron getting overlapped😀

23 minutes ago, Dupy said:

All small ship bases get displaced like a squadron getting overlapped😀

This. Or perhaps flotillas get moved like squads (and avoid ram damage?) and small get hit like flotillas, I.e. No damage to the SSD

46 minutes ago, Zamalekite said:

And don't forget this:

Yes the SSD has 22 hull but if you take off 11 hull you get half the points value of the ship. That's enough for a solid 7:4 or 8:3 win without having to kill the thing.

We don't know this yet. That's only an assumption because of X-wing and can proof wrong. Or is there any source for that information?

There are a lot of important details we can only guess at the moment. Rules for deployment, deploying squadrons, for ramming, does Motti work, does JJ work, ...

It's too early now for detailed foresaying how the SSD will influence the meta.

I would guess, that the SSD can be a nice Thrawn-2-ship in itself. And it's not so vulnerable to this kind of fleet build. I would also guess, that fast and maneuverable ships will do better against it. I played 3 times with or against a proxy. The SSD is surprisingly good in area denial. It's the only ship that has a wide angle in front of the point of turning (if you really use the notch of the rear base for maneuver tool). Other than you would expect maneuvering is a strong side of the SSD! Hammerheads and VSDs will be in trouble, because they won't get out of the deadly front arc.

To bring an SSD down you need lots of firepower and you have to start early shooting at it! Raddus will help only if you can drop the heavy hitter early. (Raddus - Profundity - shenanigans will be awesome!)

It will be very hard to stop the SSD with a flotilla (or any other single small sized ship) even if they won't do any extra rules for ramming. With 1 click at a joint the nose of the SSD makes a wide move! And ships in its front arc will die fast!

And I think, that the SSD will shine as a super-carrier! The ability to activate 7 squadrons at once (with Squadron Value 5, Extended Hangar Bays, and guaranteed token) makes a solid first strike. If the opponents squadrons focus at your squadrons, the SSD will be able to counter with heavy flak. The synergy you can get out of three officers together with Weapons Experts is also unique!

But I don't mind so much the role SSD could play in competetive play. There will be better options! But it's a really new and impressive experience to fly this ship (or against it). It's really different and feels huge! I really hope it will be released this month!

I'll actually be interested due to its price point how often it sees a table. Also interesting will be how well it can actually maneuver because of you can get towards the rear it's pretty vulnerable.