Sign in to follow this  
schuwa

Ideas for coup plot hooks

Give me some interesting hooks / hints for the PC's for the following location:

A cave system, normally home to spider creatures, has been cleared by a rebel group using it as a base of operations to get enough support / militia overthrow the local government.   The locale / planet is relatively low tech; think of the movie Avatar, and you get the idea. The moon, however, is relatively higher tech, and is underhandedly / indirectly funding the rebels (unbeknownst to them).

I need something that will alert the players to an off-world force (and it is fine if it is obviously the moon race), but also bring a little combat into the mix.  While I know I could just drop tech into the combat, I want something more than that, that will both raise eyebrows of my players but also make for some interesting adventure hooks I can create on the moon when they visit it as emissaries in the next Act.

For an introductory interaction with the rebels for the players, you could have a banquet that the players are invited to/it's held in honor of their mission. At the banquet the rebels attack sowing disorder and chaos. During the attack there could be a data chip on a rebel that hints at a backer to the rebel group 

Couple random ideas:

The PC's find random bits of equipment, possibly heavily damaged, with some distinct markings on them, that, when they first encounter the Moon People, they realize is a brand insignia for a manufacturer on their moon, hinting at a possible connection.

Or if you want to be a little more subtle, they find some weapons, possibly being used by the rebels, that use a distinct energy signature in their focusing lenses.  If a science minded player decides to investigate the cause, they determine that it's some rare type of crystal that is used, and it just so happens to be a commodity the Moon People use, as it's found on their moon.   The crystal doesn't need to be any more powerful than a regular one, it's just a different style of weapon from a regular blaster, making the damage/injuries stand out a bit to someone of a medical persuasion.

On 2/3/2019 at 8:11 PM, KRKappel said:

Oooo did you use the modular encounter for Atollon in Dawn of Rebellion? 

Nope.  This is pure homebrew, my friend

9 hours ago, schuwa said:

Nope.  This is pure homebrew, my friend

Ah, the modular encounter I wrote for that basically had the team setting up a sensor perimeter and fighting a cave full of spider thingies from there. Right on, though!