Sign in to follow this  
Da_Brown_Bomber

coordinate red into white action

1 minute ago, thespaceinvader said:

Coordinated ships do actions from their bar.  it's red on their bar.

just states you have to have the action to coordinate another ship with THAT action. so if the ship taking the coordinate has that action and its white, then shouldnt it be white when they perform it?

Barrel roll is an action, not a coloured action.  It's the same action regardless of what colour it is, otherwise you could perform a red roll and a white roll in the same round.  Which you can't.

E: wait, hang on.  I'm confused.  I think I got the skills the wrong way round the first time.

Sorry.

The coordinated ship does whatever coloured roll it has on its bar.  I thought we were talking about someone with a white roll coordinating a Y wing, not the other way round.

To be clear:

3 hours ago, Da_Brown_Bomber said:

Drea with squad leader coordinates a (red) barrel roll action to Zealous Recruit (which has a white barrel roll on its action bar).

is the barrel roll still red or does it become white?

Drea has a red roll.  The Fang has a white roll.  Drea can coordinate the Fang to roll because they both have a roll.

When she coordinates the Fang, it chooses an action on its bar to do.  It doesn't HAVE a red roll, it has a white one, so it does a white one.  Or a focus.  Or a lock.

I was confused by the language of 'becoming' white, the Fang;s roll doesn't become anything, it's always been white, and that doesn't change.

To some extent, it's not 100% clear.  I think it's like 99% clear.

On the one hand, red and white versions of the same action are treated as the same for the no-more-than-once action rule.  Suppose something like an ARC 170 with Expert Handling.  You couldn't perform both a white then a red barrel roll in the same turn.

On the other hand, cards like Tactical Officer and Expert Handling require a specific color of action--red barrel roll, red coordinate.

The best I can figure is that, unless a card specifically refers to the color of an action (like Tactical Officer) either difficulty is valid.  Even though Drea has a red barrel roll: she can Squad Leader coordinate "barrel roll" in general to any friendly ship, and it would perform it's own difficulty of barrel roll.  A Fang does a white Barrel Roll.  A Jumpmaster does a red barrel roll (unless it has Expert Handling).

Some evidence for this is that something like Saturation Salvo simply uses the "reload" symbol in white, without specifying a difficulty, but it's legal to put it on a ship with only a red reload action.

I also want to add, if things don't work this way, Drea wouldn't be able to Squad Leader coordinate a red barrel roll to a Zealot, she couldn't coordinate a barrel roll at all.  This isn't the consensus view, and it's certainly not how I see things.

SQUAD LEADER:

Gain red coordinate

"While you coordinate, the ship you choose can perform an action only if that action is also on your action bar."

Drea would gain a stress from the red co ordiante when squad leadering the fang. The fang would do a white barrel roll. Drea has a barrel roll action on her action bar and so does the fang (which fulfills co-ordinate). The colour does not matter.