Sign in to follow this  
Qualitypunk

Always with the negative waves, Moriarty

I get people are frustrated but negative posts, demands for FFG 2.0 or an apology aren't going to grow the game. That's almost as off putting as constant new releases that make what you just bought useless. It's January 31st, FFG just went through the busy retail season, launched Legion, X-Wing 2, and a host of other new stuff. They just changed a bunch of staff and are working on the largest model the companies ever attempted and its not Legions unannounced AT-AT. We don't want the SSD model out before its ready and for all we know they are having production and distribution issues. Diverting people to write articles might delay the release date.

FFG doesn't own Star Wars, Lucasfilm does and may have ordered a hold as part of a broader strategy. Master Yoda taught us patience, don't expect anything until Star Wars Celebration Chicago in April, May 4th, the big gaming conventions, or even the return of Clone Wars. I used to play Flames of War, which has tons of news but little stock and is locally dead and buried. Don't declare Armada dead until everything is out of stock and nothing is scheduled for reprint.

So, on a more positive note, what is swm28?

• Rebel Epic ship
  • Clone era core set
  • gunboats
  • new campaign
  • Space Ball 1
  • Death Star
  • 6mm pocket version
  • Space Worms and purgils
  • Ed's ADHD brain missed something checking product codes

Would it grow Armada if we had a campaign linking it to Legion and/or X-Wing?

I'm really starting to internally double down on my "neglected kid with a deadbeat dad" complex for making sense of it.  It's like the more they get blown off and left waiting on the porch by FFG, the more they start screaming about how great "he" actually is and how he's on some super secret important mission for whatever his work must be (we don't know what his job is, but it must be really really awesome) ...but we know that he really really wanted to be here and if there was any way he could have been he would have been.  But don't you worry, he'll be back soon, and once he's back it'll all be like it should be and it will all be forgiven and forgotten and we'll play catch together every single day, rain or shine, no matter what!

11 minutes ago, Darth Sanguis said:

Would be my guess

OOF.

Then again, it gives me a chance to use this meme... so thanks for that. 

yiN6u0W.png

People keep making these crazy claims with zero evidence, it kills me. it's the creationists of the gaming community: "It'll happen, we just have to believe and have faith". 

Casual stroll through an insane asylum. 

( I should change my profile pic to that meme)

7 minutes ago, Bakura83 said:

Your name always makes me happy because it reminds me of two things I love, groups of ships and pizza.

Your posts make me smile too.

it's origin: nickname as a kid was "Domino"(real name is Damien, someone misheard me on a bus when they asked me my name, she heard "Domino" and it stuck. I was 12).

I played a lot of starcraft at lans around the same age. I was known for building scout/carrier fleets and during one of said lans someone noticed me descending on their base and he said "Oh, no, here comes Domino's fleet". 

This has been: Birth of a Username. 

Edited by dominosfleet

4 minutes ago, dominosfleet said:

People keep making these crazy claims with zero evidence, it kills me. it's the creationists of the gaming community: "It'll happen, we just have to believe and have faith". 

Casual stroll through an insane asylum. 

( I should change my profile pic to that meme)

I get what he's saying though. 

Being left in the dark sucks, and I definitely don't believe in shutting up. I tend to say what I mean, sometimes a little too forcefully [WARNING POINT AWARENESS INTENSIFIES] after all. But what it all boils down to is the lack of information. We really don't know what happened here. We can only look at the situation and decisions made and speculate that they don't make sense. 

But Fantasy Flight, and Asmodee are professional companies with years of experience. If their choices don't make sense to us, it's probably because they know something we don't (LIKE THE DARN SSD RELEASE DATE!! lol) and whatever the reasoning was, it made enough sense to both companies to put Armada on a back burner. 

Whether it's temporary, or if the damage is reversible only time will tell. What I bank on is the fact that successful money seeking entities don't just arbitrarily throw away opportunity or money.  Armada had (still has, IMO) that. So I believe they have a plan.

I don't blame him for trying to cheer people up, it's a dark time for Armada players but still a great time to be a Star Wars fan. :D 

1 minute ago, Darth Sanguis said:

I get what he's saying though. 

Being left in the dark sucks, and I definitely don't believe in shutting up. I tend to say what I mean, sometimes a little too forcefully [WARNING POINT AWARENESS INTENSIFIES] after all. But what it all boils down to is the lack of information. We really don't know what happened here. We can only look at the situation and decisions made and speculate that they don't make sense. 

But Fantasy Flight, and Asmodee are professional companies with years of experience. If their choices don't make sense to us, it's probably because they know something we don't (LIKE THE DARN SSD RELEASE DATE!! lol) and whatever the reasoning was, it made enough sense to both companies to put Armada on a back burner. 

Whether it's temporary, or if the damage is reversible only time will tell. What I bank on is the fact that successful money seeking entities don't just arbitrarily throw away opportunity or money.  Armada had (still has, IMO) that. So I believe they have a plan.

I don't blame him for trying to cheer people up, it's a dark time for Armada players but still a great time to be a Star Wars fan. :D 

eh, putting up posts like this is the opposite end of the same coin he's railing against, it's just wish listing and we've had just as much of that, if not more, than the "the game is dead" threads.  My perspective on these lists is that it's just someone trying to to make that car with 10 miles worth of gas go 20 miles, it's not gonna happen. FFG needs to put the extra fuel in the tank and these posts just come off as a desperate attempt. I think both "armada's dead" and "This is what I want to see from armada" are just different reactions to the same problem, FFG isn't doing it's job, but neither are going to save a game the company isn't supporting. 

But hey, that ship that's been in development for 3 years is finally coming out...sometime, so that's cool. 

To be positive, I think that SWM28 will be a campaign. We will see the following release schedule for this year:

SSD

SWM28: Core Worlds Campaign (Q4 2019)

Get told Clone Wars is Coming

Clone Wars Season 7 comes out.

SWM 29: Essentials Pack

Clone Wars articles

Clone Wars (Q1 2020)

- Core Set (Acclamator & Torrents + Generic Jedi and Obi-Wan/Skywalker vs. 2 Munnificents and Vultures + General Grevious)

- Faction Sets (2 ships + Squadrons + conversion sets for older ships)

- Venator & Providence Class' + a fighter pack for each

I want to think that the Republic conversion kits will make it so you can play imperials with your republic ships that would have transfered, and republic with your rebel/imperial ships that were around. Same with CIS, as the Gozanti was used by the CIS. Future waves of CIS and Republic ships will include cards that go back and forth if the ship would make sense (Carrion Spike).

Edited by Ling27

Just now, Ling27 said:

To be positive, I think that SWM28 will be a campaign. We will see the following release schedule for this year:

SSD

SWM28: Core Worlds Campaign (Q4 2019)

Get told Clone Wars is Coming

Clone Wars Season 7 comes out.

SWM 29: Essentials Pack

Clone Wars articles

Clone Wars (Q1 2020)

- Core Set (Acclamator & Torrents + Generic Jedi and Obi-Wan Skywalker vs. 2 Munnificents and Vultures + General Grevious)

- Faction Sets (2 ships + Squadrons + conversion sets for older ships)

- Venator & Providence Class' + a fighter pack for each

I want to think that the Republic conversion kits will make it so you can play imperials with your republic ships that would have transfered, and republic with your rebel/imperial ships that were around. Same with CIS, as the Gozanti was used by the CIS. Future waves of CIS and Republic ships will include cards that go back and forth if the ship would make sense (Carrion Spike).

This is absolutely the best post to immediately follow Domino’s wishlisting rant😂

Well player sir/madam, well played.

1 minute ago, Bakura83 said:

This is absolutely the best post to immediately follow Domino’s wishlisting rant😂

Well player sir/madam, well played.

Lol, I agree. While I agree with Domino about the Dead and Wish lists, it doesnt mean I dont have a wish list. I dont believe the game is dead, and thus I refuse to joke about it and roll my eyes when I do see it.

But half of that is due to my military time and also moving every 2-3 years for since I was born. I can find people to play 'dead' games with. I still play Warhammer Fantasy 8th edition.

8 minutes ago, Ling27 said:

Lol, I agree. While I agree with Domino about the Dead and Wish lists, it doesnt mean I dont have a wish list. I dont believe the game is dead, and thus I refuse to joke about it and roll my eyes when I do see it.

But half of that is due to my military time and also moving every 2-3 years for since I was born. I can find people to play 'dead' games with. I still play Warhammer Fantasy 8th edition.

I have wishlists too(Lol I HAVE DREAMS!) but they feel pointless without some indication FFG is going to do something with the game. I gave up on what I'd like to see next from ffg after the hyperspace report and now just want to see them actually put some effort into the game. Until that happens I won't get my hopes up. 

Edited by dominosfleet

The thing that REALLY kills me: We are now over 1 year between releases, that is unsustainable. No one can blame gaming stores for no longer carrying this game, they CANNOT survive by selling product yearly and this slow of a release schedule will not bring in a sustainable number of new players nor will it maintain the existing player base. No one wants X-wing releases, no one is asking for 5 releases a year, that's crazytown, but there is something between 5 releases a year and none. When this game was doing its best it had a release rate of around 1.5 / year(so, every 7ish months) and that's FINE. The community would LOVE new campaigns. They'd be easy to put together, would sell great and would likely save the game from losing its player base, just think about how many of you got into the game BECAUSE OF a local group announcing a new corellian campaign starting. My concern about the direction the games going in is that that's not happening.  

This turned into a longer post than I'd intended. wishlist away. 

Just now, dominosfleet said:

The thing that REALLY kills me: We are now over 1 year between releases, that is unsustainable. No one can blame gaming stores for no longer carrying this game, they CANNOT survive by selling product yearly and this slow of a release schedule will not bring in a sustainable number of new players nor will it maintain the existing player base. No one wants X-wing releases, no one is asking for 5 releases a year, that's crazytown, but there is something between 5 releases a year and none. When this game was doing its best it had a release rate of around 1.5 / year(so, every 7ish months) and that's FINE. The community would LOVE new campaigns. They'd be easy to put together, would sell great and would likely save the game from losing its player base, just think about how many of you got into the game BECAUSE OF a local group announcing a new corellian campaign starting. My concern about the direction the games going in is that that's not happening.  

This turned into a longer post than I'd intended. wishlist away. 

I don't know if 1 year between releases is unsustainable.  It's pretty much the max.  However the last release was a year ago now and we don't even have a release date for the SSD.  And 1 ship for 1 faction doesn't really count as a wave.

A 1 year release schedule would need a little more than 2 ships also.  Although I'd prefer 2 ships every 6 months over 4 ships once a year.  Campaigns would be great.  New ways to play, plus they could release new squadrons like the last campaign (mixing up strategies and builds without new models) or even new ship variations.  Seriously, give us 2 new ships once a year and a campaign 6 months later with new variations.  How easy would that be to accomplish?  

The bigger issue is they just need to throw us a bone once in awhile.  Some continuing communication is what we need.  Articles, strategies, videos, something!

@Ling27 @dominosfleetactually I mention swm28 because swm29 is the Chimera expansion and swm30 the Profundity. The SSD is swm20, meaning they took their time with it. So what is in the works that they released Chimera and Profundity before it? This isn't a wishlist but curiosity on a missing code.

15 minutes ago, Qualitypunk said:

@Ling27 @dominosfleetactually I mention swm28 because swm29 is the Chimera expansion and swm30 the Profundity. The SSD is swm20, meaning they took their time with it. So what is in the works that they released Chimera and Profundity before it? This isn't a wishlist but curiosity on a missing code.

My concern is that SWM20 is being put out now because they're just saying "f it" and cutting their loses with the game. I think the SSD was more of a headache to design than they'd expected it to be. 

12 minutes ago, dominosfleet said:

My concern is that SWM20 is being put out now because they're just saying "f it" and cutting their loses with the game. I think the SSD was more of a headache to design than they'd expected it to be. 

This is the concern a lot of people are having in my area "This Armada game is just to much trouble, but we have already invested so much into the SSD so lets finish it release it and cut losses."  Though from my understanding when new product releases for Armada it sells really well, so im not sure they are cutting losses, where I have heard legion is having trouble selling dispite all the releases.

Players: Dear FFG, could you maybe give us Armada folks something to look forward to?

FFG: *Crickets*

Players: Hey FFG, did you hear us?

Players: Ummm...

FFG: we'll work on our communication!

Players: glad to hear it!

FFG: something big is coming!

Players: cool!

FFG: how about a hyperspace report where we'll tell you all about our star wars games!

Players: awesome!

FFG: how about x wing 2.0 and nothing else!

Players: ... Oh.. okay, um, maybe a little misleading...

FFG: *crickets*

Players: okay, look. We really wish you'd do something about this. We've put together these seven different threads where we offer you ideas on how maybe we can get some juice flowing...

Players: okay, maybe not, I guess

Players: sure it is

FFG: look at this SSD!

Players: okay, neato! Can you tell is any more?

FFG: Soon(tm)

Players: ... Right...

Players: yeah-huh. sSD?

Players: ... Oh come the $#@& on

Another player: man, why are you so negative? Jeez!

Players: ... Are you bloody kidding me?

To be honest, it's when a lot of people get together to say "come on, FFG, we want to work with you, work with us a little bit here?" repeatedly - and get understandably frustrated when there's no reciprocation - and people throw down with "jeez, why so negative?!"... That's what makes me want to pack up shop most of all.

2 minutes ago, dominosfleet said:

If that's the case then why buy ad space in a magazine? Or reprint existing stuff? If the game loses money why spend more on promotion and restocking? They'd slash prices to make room for other games and stop producing organized play kits if Armada was really in trouble.

14 minutes ago, xero989 said:

This is the concern a lot of people are having in my area "This Armada game is just to much trouble, but we have already invested so much into the SSD so lets finish it release it and cut losses."  Though from my understanding when new product releases for Armada it sells really well, so im not sure they are cutting losses, where I have heard legion is having trouble selling dispite all the releases.

My concern is ROI. I would bet that selling 50 monies worth of armada doesn't get them the same revenue as selling 50 monies worth of legion between development, production, and distribution. From a corporate perspective I'd bet what that means is when two people go before the same board of directors and say "this game cost this much and made this much while this game cost this much and made this much" Legion comes out looking better regardless the health of it's community. Legion is also new, it's still a baby, so it is expected to struggle a little bit, especially with the juggernaut of 40k it's competing with. 

11 minutes ago, Qualitypunk said:

If that's the case then why buy ad space in a magazine?

Or reprint existing stuff? 

Yes, cloverfield paradox bought out a  superbowl ad to tell people they'd made it direct to video (well, direct to netflix, which is the modern equiv if it's not actually made by netflix). The point is to sell the thing they invested in and it'll take money to do that. 

They're reprinting stuff? Seems like they're continuing the same reprint schedule they've had the 2+ years I've been playing. 

10 minutes ago, ThatRobHuman said:

Players: Dear FFG, could you maybe give us Armada folks something to look forward to?

Players: Hey FFG, did you hear us?

Players: Ummm...

Players: glad to hear it!

Players: cool!

FFG: how about a hyperspace report where we'll tell you all about our star wars games!

Players: awesome!

FFG: how about x wing 2.0 and nothing else!

Players: ... Oh.. okay, um, maybe a little misleading...

Players: okay, look. We really wish you'd do something about this. We've put together these seven different threads where we offer you ideas on how maybe we can get some juice flowing...

Players: okay, maybe not, I guess

Players: sure it is

FFG: look at this SSD!

Players: okay, neato! Can you tell is any more?

FFG: Soon(tm)

Players: ... Right...

Players: yeah-huh. sSD?

Players: ... Oh come the $#@& on

Another player: man, why are you so negative? Jeez!

Players: ... Are you bloody kidding me?

To be honest, it's when a lot of people get together to say "come on, FFG, we want to work with you, work with us a little bit here?" repeatedly - and get understandably frustrated when there's no reciprocation - and people throw down with "jeez, why so negative?!"... That's what makes me want to pack up shop most of all.

Or:

Entitled: We demand information

FFG: Something big is coming and we just changed communications teams

Entitled: not enough

FFG: Fine here...

Lucasfilm: That's a breach of contract

Disney: Send in the lawyers

FFG: With regrets we are filing for bankruptcy

How will that scenario help the game?