Sign in to follow this  
Fogglen

How rampant is cheating on the crucible?

So today I had a game on the crucible. 

I was playing my first deck: The Passive Cynic Demolisher of Fogglen

It's certainly not a great deck, but I know it well and I like it. My opponent's first comment slipped by me:

20190131-130715.jpg

But their next comment I noticed, however I didn't really believe the accusation at first-

20190131-130850.jpg

So I mentioned that it was my first deck, and that I like it. My opponent responded: 

20190131-130927.jpg
And that made crystal clear what I was being accused of. First off, I don't know how to do what they accused me of doing, I didn't even know that was a thing. 

Secondly, it was just so funny to me that someone would think that I constructed The Passive Cynic Demolisher of Fogglen and was using it to cheat on the crucible. It's not a great deck. I have some success with it. I have fun playing it. But if I was building a deck it certainly wouldn't be exactly like that..

So how common is it for people to construct decks and smuggle them onto the crucible? How is it done? I have no interest in doing what that person thought I was doing, but building decks to play against knowing friends could be fun at some time in the future I suppose. 

Anyways, I got a really good laugh out of this, and became curious. 

Its not all that common.  Just play sealed. if you are really worried.  Also please do not post about it here.  We do not want an FFG court order to end the site.

There is far more perceived cheating, then actual cheating in my experience.

Edited by Dalek5

Go easy on the newbies, hehe.

This kind of cheating doesn't happen. Crucible pulls all deck information from keyforgegame.com. So they were accusing you of something that can't be done without some kind of hack or code exploit lol. And your deck isn't even that weird. The fact that they think it was, because it has a lot of rares (6, not even the highest number recorded) shows they must be pretty new to the game.

For fun, here's the registered deck with the most # of rare cards (12): https://keyforge-compendium.com/decks/8d58aa00-9cae-4178-bb65-fd866ffafed

Thanks for the replies. I thought all decks were pulled from the master vault database and wondered when people started sneaking in constructed decks. And I'm not worried at all, and this won't keep me from playing there either. I was just curious and amused, is all. 

That is a fun looking deck.

my favorite part is that the only rare you had played was chaos portal when the other player “called you out” for having so many rares. I guess it would make more sense if it was mid-game or end game which was left out. I think I presumed it was early game which made it funnier to me.

My experience with Keyforge leads me to believe that players experience blowout games more often than neck and neck intense back and forth games, and it is much easier for people to be salty online when they are not across the table from a human being.

Knowing there are people around (even here) that don’t even respect that they are playing against other people when they use the crucible I have no problem avoiding it entirely, but that’s a tangent for a different topic.

Enjoy your games with that deck!

1 hour ago, TheSpitfired said:

my favorite part is that the only rare you had played was chaos portal when the other player “called you out” for having so many rares. I guess it would make more sense if it was mid-game or end game which was left out. I think I presumed it was early game which made it funnier to me.

First thing I do after starting a game is looking up opponents deck so I know what sort of shenanigans I can expect, same as looking over the deck card at a tournament. It's not that weird that he would be able to know already. What baffles me how the guy thinks that deck would be cheating. I mean, who on earth would voluntarily add a Dexter to a cheat deck? (not to mention not have a bait and switch in shadows.)

Edited by Isnigu

In my experience cheating is pretty non-existent, I've had a couple of people throw their toys out of the pram when I've refused to switch to manual mode so they could correct a mistake (like when they have played cards in the wrong order and it's screwed them over) and I've had a few people quit out as soon as it became apparent that they were not going to win.  I've even had one guy call me a cheater because I was lucky on the card draw.  But I've never experienced anything I could call out and out cheating.

It's a fun, casual, place to chill out and try out some deck strategies.  I'm usually there over my lunch hour.